“You get what you pay for.” 3 of 5 stars

Tej Marhaba Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Taieb M'hiri, Sousse 4001, Tunisia   |
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Sousse
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed here for 1 week on a Thomas Cook half-board package deal (my first ever). The hotel is reasonably located near the center of Sousse, about a pleasant 10 minute walk along the sea front to the local Medina. Its also about a 5 minute walk to the beach. The Tej is a very large hotel catering to the package tour industry and within the complex are several bars, a restaurant, an in and outside pool and even a shopping centre.

The interior of the common parts are dated and worn, as are the bedrooms and bathrooms. The staff, especially the reception, are pleasant (apart from the very worst, lazy, rude and useless concierge I've ever come across,-he's the older one). The food, served via a buffet, was truly awful. Quire simply, I asked myself the question every time I ate there that if this food was served in a outside restaurant would you be happy. The answer every time was a resounding NO!

As it was out of season, I got what I thought was a very good deal (about £310 for the week), and therefor, I felt that it was probably worth it. However, if I would have paid much more (and you will in high season), I would probably feel cheated and annoyed

Room Tip: Wifi is only available in the foyer so pick a room close to that!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Amazing hotel, friendly staff, good alcohol choice, good entertainment

hotel was clean and in a good location near to town center also beach is just across road the staff are happy to help and the hotel was clean and tidy

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Blaina, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We are just two days into our 2 week holiday here.We were worried by all the negative reviews and some were justified and some were not. Staff are in the main friendly and polite.The only real downside to the hotel is the smell of cigarette smoke in all the public areas and the smoking has caused the interior decor to be spoilt. If you are non smokers like us then this is definitely not the hotel for you. So far the food has been fine.Lots of choice. Indoor pool is the best feature by far.
Will finish this review at the end of our stay.

Room Tip: Wifi is better in some rooms. Beds differ . Changing rooms if you are not happy is OK ..but may not...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Writing this whilst waiting to go home. This hotel is nice,clean,and the staff are very helpful. This is my first time in Tunisia and I enjoyed it although I have to say that if you are thinking of bringing kids here when you check in ask for a room facing the sea rather than the front of the hotel because there is a nightclub directly across from the hotel called Le Baron and it is open every night. The noise from the place is horrendous and at the weekend it is open till 4a.m. I honestly felt as if I was in the place because the music was so loud and they leave the front doors open,and they are really big doors!! Also the people coming out obviously having a good time no worries about that everyone's entitled but they're shouting and sometimes chanting,and I know that if my kids had been there all of them would have been awake.I'm no prude,I live in Blackpool (need I say more?)And I've worked in nightclubs,but that racket is unbelievable. This hotel needs to either have the whole front triple glazed to muffle the noise,speak to the club owner about the racket,or warn guests when they are checking in . At the end of the day we are paying guests who are entitled to a decent nights sleep. I am so glad I didn't have kids with me. The food was very repetitive,but the maids work really hard.The indoor swimming pool is nice and warm. When you go out for a walk you will be approached by a man who says he works at your hotel. He doesn't. His job is to take you to a carpet shop in the medina, a jewellery shop or a leather shop where the owners will try their best to make you buy something. They constantly talk to you and the only way to get rid of them is to give them money. No I wasn't a victim, but I saw it happen to other people and I felt sorry for them. In culmination keep your wits about you in Tunisia,learn to say no firmly, and if you stay at this hotel unless you want to party every night ask for a room facing the sea round the back .

• Stayed February 2015
Hull
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Went to Tej Marhaba last summer and the hotel was more like a 1 star hotel than a 4 star hotel. We arrived around 1.30am and there was no room for us, so we waited about 4 hours, early in the morning to get a room. This after a long journey and without a drink or food - well not good.
We had to constantly chase the staff for sheets, as they made the beds, but did not put sheets back on the bed or left towels.
The toilet in the room was leaking at the bottom - not very pleasant smell.
You had to pay the staff to get a sun lounger, and if not, forget it you were just ignored.
Hardly saw the rep and when we did, we stood in a queue for ages, not good with my bad back at the time.
The entertainment was not very and it was the same every night. There was no air conditioning either. Drinks were served in plastic cups and generally by 7pm they ran out of ice.
The internet was not working as the router was broke, wow that cost me a fortune on my mobile, cause dopey here did not know how to switch the roaming off.

When you first see the hotel, you think - wow - but then the longer you stay the more faults you find. The toilets in the lobby were absolutely disgusting with plaster crumbling and leaks literally in every toilet. Not sure about the men's toilet.

Room Tip: Not sure - I would not go back to that hotel, and I know other tourists had the same problems as us.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The hotel is a short walk from Sousse centre, a perfect location by the beach. All staff are the most attentive I have ever encountered. The rooms are cleaned daily, a little tired and refurbishment is underway. The reception/bar areas are beautiful marble, the outside pool area is in lovely gardens, the indoor pool is heated and has pool and table-tennis. We stayed half-board, an excellent and extensive hot and cold buffet for both meals; fresh crepes and eggs are cooked to order at breakfast-time. Evening entertainment is good fun. Many people return here for several weeks/months each winter, testament to the service and relaxed atmosphere. We too will return.

• Stayed February 2015
lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is our 4th visit to this hotel and we cannot fault it all staff are excellent especially Ali our waiter for the week, the food excellent Sousse is a wonderful place we love it ..,the hotel is very clean and has free wifi ,also has a very relaxing heated indoor swimming pool ,also a shopping complex,

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
So glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us, another time. We do value our repeat guests and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel many more times in the future.

Been to Tej Marhaba Hotel? Share your experiences!