“great hotel, location and price/quality” 4 of 5 stars

Tej Marhaba Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Taieb M'hiri, Sousse 4001, Tunisia   |
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Sousse
Delft, The Netherlands
“great hotel, location and price/quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The hotel is a great place for visiting tunisia and sousse! The staff is very friendly and helpful, the indoor swimming pool is just renovated (feb. 2013) and it is really walking distance (10-15min) to the old medina of sousse! The animation team is very funny and all together it is a great place to go on holiday! When you do not have high expectations, this hotel will definitely do the trick! Only thing is that it is not directly to the beach, you have to cross one road to access the tej marhaba beach, but that is not too bad! I would definitely go again!

Room Tip: sea-sight rooms also are more quiet (other rooms are on the side of the (busy) road.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your review and happy that you enjoyed your holiday with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Polish first
Tantana, Chott Meriem
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

As an expat living in the Sousse area for 5 years I am shocked to read the staff at the Tej Marhaba Hotel described as sleazy & not able to speak English : I chat with Uk return visitors who tell me they are so well looked after by the staff . In my own experience the waiters do their best to please & I have never been asked for a tip. Yes the hotel needs a facelift as do many others in Sousse & Kantoui but some of these critical comment beggar belief.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and for your positive comments.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Me and my husband stayed in the tej mahaba for 1 week in June 2012 all inclusive, we were pleasantly surprised by how nice the hotel was as it was very well priced,(alot of marble) the hotel staff were very friendly some alot more friendlier after a small tip. the food was ok, good choice but sometimes not to our tastes, the rooms were cleaned and beds made every day. there was poolside entertainment every day aqua gym as they called it, there was music during the day and on a night- bingo, karaoke, belly dancers and games.only negative there was not many english people there and if i went again i would go with friends and family. The weather was fantastic not a cloud in the sky all week, around 38 degrees.all in all lovely place and i will definitely go back :D

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Glad you enjoyed your holiday and we look forward to receiving you as our guests once again in the future.
West Yorks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Decided to take a last minute break on January 6th and found a flight with Thomas Cook and a week in theTej for seven nights at an excellent price. Arrived at Manchester Terminal 1 at 3.30am and checked in. Thomas Cook are now very keen on baggage weight, both hold and hand luggage. Shared experiences with other travellers on how to circumvent the 5kg limit on hand luggage. The three most popular were 1, park in the multistorey, leave your hand luggage in the car, check in and then collect your hand luggage. 2. If you are flying with a friend buy your tickets separately and then when you come to check in, your friend waits with your hand luggage at a sensible distance away while you check in, and then he does the same while you keep his hand luggage. 3. Buy a coat/anorak/poachers jacket with large pockets and put any heavy items in the pockets. Of course I dont do any!
Entered the maze of the alcohol/perfume/tobacco duty free. If you have sat nav it helps to find your way through. Ear shattering pop music at 4 in the morning. Ridiculously high prices. Get me out of here!
Uneventful flight apart from a screaming child on the seat in front. Bought some gin and tobacco which was quite a bit cheaper than Manchester. Arrived Enfidha airport, fairly long walk to carousel.
Checked in at the Tej and had seven days of sunshine.Glorious. A large percentage of the clients were English O.A.P.s on long stay, low cost holidays. Many of them were continually moaning or complaining about one thing or another and at breakfast most of them had bags in which they put food for elevenses and lunches. The record for stolen oranges stands at 9!
There is an Irish lady in charge of customer relations and she deserves a medal for the way in which she dealt with complaints. The Hotel itself is pretty average and like most Hotels in Tunisia the star rating bears no relation to the what the Hotel offers. The Indoor swimming pool has been renovated and is now quite an attractive feature of the Hotel. I never approach a standing Taxi, preferring to hail one in the street. Standing taxis are generally looking for tourists to rip off. From the Tej to the Medina 2 dinars is a good price to pay for a taxi. Between 4 and 5 into Kantaoui. It is now 2 years since the revolution and we saw no problems in town. We spoke to several Tunisians who were very concerned about the rampant unemployment, also price increases in basic foodstuffs. (Milk was rationed in the supermarkets) The young people who with their technological expertise helped to oust the President have unwittingly opened the door to a new kind of dictatorship of islamic fundamentalists

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool do not get the sun
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and glad you enjoyed your holiday with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Tej Mahabra

6 th January 2013 / February 2013 we are still here

This was to be our first visit to this hotel so to try and make sure that we got a sunny room we visited the hotel in December while we were staying some where else.
We went into the reception and exsplained that because I use a wheel chair because I have MS as well as Cancer would itbe possible for us to have a high room at the front, the lady on the reception told us that our travel agent had already requested this for us and that we had been alocated room 533. So when we left the hotel we were very pleased with our visit.
We went back to England and on January 6 th we were on the plane going back to Tunisia and our stay at the Tej. We boarded the coach at the airport and then we all set out for the hotel. When we arrived at the Tej we were very tired because it had been an early morning flight, we collected our cases and wheel chair andmade our way to check in that was the first shock there was no que just a mass of people pushing and shoving the lady on the reception was not dealing with people in turn if she knew you from a previous visit you got your room keys if she did not know you you were forced to wait, so we waited and I finaly managed to give her our registration form which had already been filled in and had our room number on it. The receptionist said that you can not have room 533 youmust have room 215 so we took the bit of plastic which was the door key and made our own way to the room when we got into the room we were not happy but Pat unpacked and began cleaning the room with bacteria wipes ( because of my health) the more she cleaned the more problems we found so we went back down to the reception to try to get another room, we explained all of the problems with 215 and asked if we could please move I explained that I had been told that I could have room 533 and she looked in the pigeon hole and gave me the key to room 533 so my wife started to re pack our cloths and move every thing to our new room.
Room 533 was a much better room with the sun on the balcony so if I was unwell one day my wife could sit out in the sun.
Yet again my wife cleaned the room to try to minimize the germ risk to me ( I must say that the cleaner had cleaned the room to a good standard it was only recleaned by my wife formy benifit).
The room was nice but the TV did not work we reported it and it only took to days to get it repaired.
Now it became dinner time for the first time so we made our way to the restaurant opened the door and asked the young lady head waiter if we could have a table for two because of my illness I could not have people sitting with us just in case I caught some germs from them, on hearing this she gave us table 56 which was a four seater, we sat there any way but within 5 minutes she was back with a couple and tried to sit them with us I of course refused and she took them away I then started to eat my meal when she brought along another couple and again I tried to explain that I could not sit with people because if I catch a germ from them I am very ill so once again she took them away and we had ourmeal in peace.
The food in the resaurant is very very good both dinner and breakfast and the waiters are friendly and helpful.
I did try to see the Guest Relations Manager but when I was pointed out to her she was to far up herself to walk 20 feet to come and see us so I hope that she does not have the nerve to replie to this post.
In desperation I wrote a letter to the Hotel Manager about myconcerns in the Restaurant and since then all hasbeen fine.
The reception is very cold in the evenings so you need to wear a jumper or coat plus people smoke every where so the only night we stay up is a Tuesday when it is Karaoke and every other night we return to our room
The Thomas Cook rep Tina is very nice and good at her job.
The Tej is a nice hotel with nice rooms, good food but the ramps for wheel chairs are very steep so you need to be a body builder to push a wheel chair up them the staff are mostly fine although there is a lot of nepotism with in the hotel, I will not be returning to this hotel but my reason for this is personel choice I like Skanes area because it is very near the beach I find that staying here I need to use a taxi to do every thing. To be fair this is a nice hotel with some nice staff and features but to many English people for me gathering in groups.
I still have another four weeks to go at this hotel so if any thing changes I will let you all know thats changes for the better or worse although I think that things will stay the same.
Thank you for reading my review and God bless you.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Glad you enjoyed your holiday despite your initial problems. Sorry you didnt take the time to get to know the guests relations manager before she went on holiday or when she got back. Besides talking to the guests in reception she does also have an office where all are welcome. Nevertheless, thank you for your comments.
WALES
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

For the least 13 years we , and a large group of friends , have enjoyed our stay of 6 to 8 weeks at this hotel . As regulars all the staff look after us very well and can speak English excellently . Food is fine and there is always a wide choice and quality is good .

The location is close to the sea where there are plenty of sun beds free of charge .

There is building work in progress but these improvements will enhance the facilities .

The guest relations officer works tirelessly to please everyone and the fact that so many guests return annually speaks for itself .

The cost of approximately £1000 for two people for 6 weeks is tremendous value .

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and glad you enjoyed your regular holidays with us as much as we enjoy having you here. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed in the Tej Marhaba Hotel for 1 week in May, and for the money it was great, But as for Tunisia (No thank you) the hotel was a bit dated but the pool was lovely and the sun was fabulous. It was a 4*hotel but I’ve stayed in better 4* than this one . Tunisia is not a place I would go back to.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Glad you enjoyed your holiday but sorry you didnt like Tunisia. Thank you for your review.

Been to Tej Marhaba Hotel? Share your experiences!