“Good value for money” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Sousse
Oxford
“Good value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was my first trip outside of Europe so I didn't really know what to expect especially as it was a late booking through 'Lowcostholidays.com'. Due to my flight with Tunis Air being delayed and a lengthy transfer from Tunis Carthage airport I arrived at the hotel at 02:10 hours on the Monday morning (Sept 24th).

I had a room on the 1st Floor (117) and the outlook was breath taking over the swimming pool and to the palm trees and sea beyond. I could step over my balcony wall to gain access to the pool. The room was kept immaculate by the maids and everything in the room worked fine.
I was on Half Board and the breakfast was disappointing. Very little variety - always eggs, tomatoes and hard bread. Dinner was OK - always a good soup followed by a reasonable variety of main course. Puddings were basic and always basically the same.

Some of the staff were friendly, others not so. The guy at the reception desk was excellent whilst the female gave the minimum of information. The head waiter was pretty unfriendly but the bar staff were OK.

There were two bars in the hotel. The one on the ground floor was cheaper - a bottle of lager was 2.7 dinars (a dinar is about 40p), whilst in the more luxurious bar on the 6th floor the price went up to 3.5 dinars. Both bars were populated by the locals and I was invariably the only European at the bar.

The hotel has its own section of beach and 2 dinars a day gave you a sunbed, umbrella etc for the whole day. This had its own snack bar / bar attached.

The hotel is situated mid way between Sousse and Port el-Kantaoui. OK you could stay at the hotel as within easy walking distance was a bank and supermarket and there was a handy small shop opposite the hotel. There were three ways to get into Sousse. You could do it the easy way and get a yellow cab. You asked in advance what the price would be (usually 6 dinars). Secondly you could walk up to the main road and catch one of the Dotto (Noddy) trains - this cost 2.5 dinars each way. Finally you could catch a bus, number 12 / 18 into Sousse, This was really cheap, less than 0.5 of a dinar, but the services seemed unreliable. A lot of Tunisian buses don't show route numbers but just show their destination in Arabic.

The hotel also had an indoor swimming pool and spa etc down in the basement. There was no entertainment at all but I guess this was probably because I was there late in the season. You could store your values in a safe box for 2 dinars a day plus 10 dinar deposit, There was a TV in the room but I could only get two channels - one Tunisian and the other Russian (I didn't watch much TV!). There was also a facility at the hotel to change money but I never saw this open. The room air conditioning was fairly quiet but not brilliantly effective.

I've read lots of varying reviews about this hotel and generally thought it was OK and pretty good value for money.

Room Tip: It's worth while requesting a sea view for a stunning view over the Med.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
Croydon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Our first impression was that we were being taken down a grimy seedy looking road and we were both expecting trouble. On arriving at the hotel we noticed that the reception area could do with a good clean. The receptionist took our voucher and after several minutes decided to talk. He gave us the key to the room and told us where the lift was. No mention on where the dining room was or what times breakfast was served. The room itself was ok and we did overlook the beach, however there is a filthy dirty building site of a road between the beach and hotel, which is used by locals all hours of the day and night.Breakfast was alright if you liked cold hard boiled eggs and french stick, but when we appeared for dinner, we had a choice of baked fish heads or some kind of stew with thick grease floating on top. WE spent the day in Port El Kantoui which is lovely, but found that some taxi drivers would not go to the hotel because of the area it is in.
The swimming pool had tiles missing from the surrounding area. It is that small that it would be impossible to swim if more than six people got in. and the whole area around the pool was dirty.
You had to walk through the dining area and up a flight of steps to get to the pool.Not one of the staff were helpful especially the lady on reception during the day. We were also informed that the air conditioning was turned off for the winter, this despite the fact that temperatures were approximately 38/40 degrees for the two weeks we stayed in tunisia. we left after our second night and thankfully found an hotel where they could not be more helpful.

This hotel is used by what looked like itinerant workers and should not be listed as an holiday hotel. It should be taken out of any british holiday firms brochure

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in September. The location is great, right on the beach. It has a lovely, but small pool area which gets the sea breeze when sunbathing. The room was clean and staff were all friendly. There is a nice bar on the top floor which I used most nights. The only downside for me was the food there was not a lot of variety and I didnt like the options very much either. There is no entertainment at this hotel you would need to go out for this. The tv in the room did not work and didnt show any english channels. For the price I payed though this was a good hotel.

Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed in this hotel from 11 to 18 september 2012.
Very nice and clean rooms,comfortable beds,our bathroom was big and nice!Everyday have cleaner and change the towels!The food in restaurant was good.
The beach is beside the hotel.Everything was perfect!!!
I'll be back again in Tunisia and will stay in this hotel again!!!

northern ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

we stayed in dreams beach the last week august,2adults ,2kids.hotel basic but very nice,rooms were spacious and cleaned every day by a lovely maid.the hotel is in a residential area so not a lot going on around the place.there is an italian restaurant next door,that we used quite often,and the coffee shop next door to it served coffee to die for..went into the port one night but very busy place,along the beach from hotel there was water sports,parasailing,jet ski,snorkling etc very cheap prices compared to other countries.sami who works in hotel spa was very helpful we used the spa quite often,again reasonable prices.if you want a relaxing holiday this is ideal,also we felt safe and well looked after by staff.we had a lovely rep called carol from sunways who we spoke to everyday and gave us good info.i would have no problem returning, maggie.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as a single female and can honestly say that I had a wonderful time.I felt safe and was well looked after by the staff who were always friendly and helpful. In terms of the hotel itself, I felt the the rooms were a decent size, clean and good location for the beach. I would highly recommend the spa if you fancy some proper pampering and relaxation. I had a two and a half hour treatment that I can only described as pure bliss - just what you need at the start of your holiday. Absolutely wonderful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

ok, 5 star it is not, but the staff get 5 stars for enthusiasm and willingness to help. a really friendly team who smile and chat. good base for trips as plenty of places a bus/coach/metro/louage away,
or if you want a lazy day, the beach is in spitting distance.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo