“An excellent experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Sousse
nottingham
“An excellent experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Just spent 13th March to 27th March 2013 at this superb hotel. A wonderful change from the usual concrete and glass monstrosities. Although undergoing much renovation the ongoing work wasn't a problem. The dining room provided a choice of food for most visitors although this did tend to err towards the French and Italians, being in the majority.
Perhaps the main downsides being poor evening entertainment and little English TV.
I wasn't impressed by the indoor swimming pool but I guess this is on the "to do" list. The larger one opened later in the week as Easter was arriving.The grounds are really nice with plenty of gardeners working away. Access to the lovely beach again, superb.Overall very clean and tidy.
It is a fair walk to the main road if you want to travel around. A taxi is favourite. Approx 6 Dinars into Sousse. A return trip to Monastir a mere 2 Dinars return by train from Sousse Station.
It can be a little daunting being pestered by traders in North African towns but just be polite and say no thanks. Trips can be arranged by agents who do wander around the site but I think I should err on the cautious side as there are further charges once you arrive at your destination.
My wife and I travel extensively and we were both very pleased with the overall experience at the hotel and it was incredible value for money as we went "all inclusive"
Give it a go. Its a lot better value in Tunisia compared to the Euro Zones.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Polish first
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

+ really nice beach and poolside
+ bars with quite good atmosphere as for a hotel
+ big and well maintained garden which separates you from the busy street
+ good food
+ great service and nice staff

- far from Sousse Medina (about 45 minutes walk) but it is not a big drawback cos price of a taxi is something about 2E
- dirt outside the hotel grounds (like everywhere in Tunisia)

Take notice that my opinion is based on low season holidays.

Historical part of Sousse is very nice and wort seeing as well as Port el Kantaoui (maybe not for sightseeing but shopping and walks), Mahdia, Monastir or El Jem (really impressive amphitheatre)

Room Tip: Choose those with sea/pool view :)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Coalville, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was disapointed on arrival as I found the feeling of the hotel dark & dingy.As soon as I got used to the low subtle lighting it didn't seem too bad. Our room was nice & clean with 2 single beds,2 chairs & a table & a dressing table & wardrobe. We did have a TV but the only english speaking programme was world news.The hotel was predominently French with some Dutch, Belgians & Germans.There were only 10-12 British people in all. The hotel staff weren't too good at speaking English.The lady who cleaned our room was lovely & left the room beautifully set up with flower petals & towels folded into heart or swan shapes which was very nice.The food was not to my liking as everything was smothered in garlic, even the salads & cooked vegetables had chopped garlic all over them, & as I have an allergy to garlic the only things I could find to eat were bread (freshly cooked at each meal in the restaurant)chips & puddings (all really lovely) but after a couple of days of all this carbohydrate I was desperate for some meat & vegetables,which I didn't get till I was home!! But I have to say my husband found the food excellent, especially all the fresh fish. I didn't find the hotel staff very friendly but the restaurant staff, although they couldn't speak English, were very smiley.The animation team were very good & provided entertainment every hour throughout the day, golf,archery,excercise classes,dance classes etc. and caberet shows,competitions & discos in the evenings. They all worked very hard.I wouldn't go back again but my husband would!

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I read some positive reviews of this hotel in French and English. I think these people have visited either another hotel or never visited more than a 2-star hotel in their lives. When my wife and I stayed in this hotel (March 2013) it was crowded with French, German and Italians in the age category of 60-70+ years old. Which in all fairness is fine, but I could see they were treated by the hotel staff as cattle and was sad to see. The families with small children had a tough time too as the food was simply horrendous.

Let me start off by saying the Neckermann/Thomas Cook brochure looked great and that's why we selected that hotel. What a tourist trap!!!!

Room: The room smelled like a toilet. We believe it had been repainted though the painter must have been on drugs or alcohol as the paint dripped on the floor, doors and light switches - my 13 year old daughter can do a much better job. The airco made strange loud noises every 3 minutes so we had to turn it off during the night. The room was simply filthy and we risked our lives sleeping there. It is dusty, the bath room tiles broken, shower curtain is a great laboratory paradise of bacterias. The small TV was new in 1980 I think, the channels are not fine tuned and so you the TV images are full of static. The towels don't dry you off, the must have been washed with some water repellent soap or something, as they do feel soft by don't absorb water i.e. you stay wet. The toilet, well what to say....you have to use it when you have too but you wouldn't linger to read your paper as it is filthy as the rest.

The Staff: The staff is rude to say the least. Thanks to the great food (more about this later) my wife had gastro problems because of the hotel food and stayed in the room. So I went to the restaurant to get her food on a plate to bring to the room. The staff said that this was not allowed and after talking to the manager and having my voice raised he agreed if I would bring back the empty plate. Sure...not! There are plenty of Tunisian staff who try to get you booked for trips, and try to get you pay up front: The guy with his camel ride, the guy with his pirate boat and the guy with his quad bike ride. They are all quiet pushy but f you're not interested say it straight out - do not let them waste your holiday time with their shatter. They try to speak to you in broken Dutch, German and English which is funny in the beginning but tiresome after a week as they are pushy. There are also the guys on the beach who like to sell you all kinds of junk (made in China) and the hotel staff just let's them be (i guess everyone has to make a living from the stupid tourists they think). We got lured in the Camel ride. We were told it was a big group that we were going with...we ended up being only the two of us. The 3 hour camel ride which was promised was in fact only 20 min. Instead of visiting the berber family which would show us how they make local traditional bread, the wife of the camel guy just brought us the bread. Then there was a 5-min stop by car to see the ostriches. Of course the whole thing is a rip-off. And when you don't want to give these people tips because they don't deserve it then they get very angry.

The hotel services: The Gym/fitness room: I took a photo to show my friends at home as I'm sure no one would believe me. The gym was a large empty room, well almost empty as it had 3 bikes in there and that was it. I can't tell you if the bikes worked because they were so dusty and greasy that i didn't dare to sit on them. To get a hotel beach towel, you have to get up before dawn as the towels are limited and run out immediately. This meant that we had to use the towels from our rooms on the beach and at the pool. It was then a hassle to get fresh room towels as the hotel staff believed we should these towels at least a week or 2. I don't believe it was to care for the environment as you see the filth in the hotel and on the streets romantically blowing in the wind as it was more pure hotel staff laziness.

Food: ah the food. Well the food is not a gastronomical experience - it simply keeps you alive. It is great for people on a diet as the food is either uneatable or you get diarrhea. I lost 2 kg. The food is not warm, every day the same and mostly greasy. If you are a vegetarian you get lots of vegetables, but if you prefer a piece of meat or fish you better off eating outside the hotel. Breakfast, lunch or dinner - all the same food. For children there is no food unless you want to serve them every day pasta or french fries - bring your vitamin tablets. My wife got food poisoning and was stuck in the room for 3 days. Breakfast is again served as lunch, lunch is served again as dinner and dinner is saved for breakfast the next day. How interesting it was to see that the staff is snatching food while passing the buffet and stuffing their mouths full. The orange juice is water with sugar and colorized. The alcohol served in the discotheque is watered down.

Needless to say we complained about the hotel situation but we didn't get any other room as they were fully booked and other rooms were being renovated (which causes a noise from 8 AM in the morning). No money back either. The information on the document we receveid with the check-in read that there are midnight snacks (sandwiches,...) from 00:00-06:00 AM. So at around 1 AM I though let's check these snacks out. No snacks to be found. I asked the hotel staff and they said that the information paper is incorrect. Dinner is from 18:00h to 21:30h according to information paper. One evening we arrive at 20:45h eat dinner and the restaurant is closed already. I ask the hotel staff and again the paper is wrong because they close at 21h and today there were not so many people for dinner (I wonder why??) so they decided to close a bit earlier. We survived on snickers that night.
No Wifi in the rooms.
All in all - you get what you pay for but why they advertise this as a 4-star hotel is a mystery, and why you are treated without respect? If I want to book a 2-star hotel at least I know that it will be very basic and i do not expect much but it is cheap.
However, this hotel is a pure rip off. I will never ever go there again!!!!!!

PS: I know where my money goes to: Most probably to the petrol for the white Bentley V12 tuned up Brabus which is from the owner who parks it authentically in front of the hotel every day.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My girlfriend and myself stayed here for one week. We were told before our holiday, from friends, to tip waiters etc, so you receive a better service. We decided to put this to the test.
We tipped the waiter after our first dining experience and waited until morning to see the results. We arrived in the restaurant in the morning and were shown to the same table from the night before (overlooking the pool outside). It was clean, had our usual orange juice and the waiter was pleased to see us. This continued throughout the entire week of our stay, and during the lunch and evening meals, a bottle of wine and two full glasses were ready in wait, just as we liked.
Being a young, outgoing couple (18 and 23), we got on well with the entertainment team, and regularly went to watch the Caberet shows, which had hilarious comedy sketches and dances of different cultures. The entertainment team deserve a lot of credit for what they do, and they made my holiday 10 times better than expected. I definitely gained a few friends from this trip.
If I ever get the chance to visit Tunisia again, I would more than happily return to the El Ksar Hotel. Although we visited in February, which is the quiet season, so it wasn't manic and overcrowded, as I'm sure it is in the peak season. Overall a big thumbs up, and a huge thank you to the entertainment staff....Keep up the good work guys :)

Room Tip: Rooms above the pool and overlooking the beach (we were in room 1231). You get the sun on the balcon...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

When reading this you may think. Well how bad could it be? Don't take the chance! This is honestly the worst hotel we have ever stayed at! We only lasted 2 days before we moved hotel, really not one to complain but had no other choice, we spent both days in the hotel room in the end eating food we had left over from the plane!
Starting with the food and drink, limited choice - everything looked and tasted the same! Like mush! The one occasion we chose to eat in the restraunt we found hair in the food, flies In the drinks and to top it off got shouted at by the rude staff!
There was no water in the pool, all taped off and Maintence being done - obviously we had gone out of season but still think its unacceptable when you can't even lay round the pool and relax on your holiday.
No one in the hotel spoke English, and if they did were very rude and treated us as if we didn't exist!
Our room was stuck at the far end of the hotel at the bottom of a corridor, in which the lights were broken so was a struggle to even see how to get in the room.
Overall the holiday was terrible! Do not go to this hotel!!! We ended up moving to the maharba palace - much better!

• Stayed February 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This hotel is average, basically you pay for what you get, the rooms are basic but nice. One problem I found was that the Maids were constantly in your room throughout the day maybe upto 3 times a day always at different times of the day. The food was good-ok after 2 weeks of staying at the hotel the food does become a bit boring but nevertheless it is nice food. The beach was very good, the watersports were very affordable and enjoyable. Overall I would reccomend to people on a budget and want a nice holiday.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel El Ksar? Share your experiences!