“I say yes!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Sousse
Kiev, Ukraine
“I say yes!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Nice hotel, appealing on the one hand, and on the other - very comfortable: cosy rooms, eye-catching interior, lots of space. Though the personnel could be more gentle, I like the girl who speak russian Maryam the guest relation, she was very sweet. The hotel can be more exciting than it is now.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have just returned from this hotel and wanted to write this review while things are still fresh in my mind.
On arrival my friend and i was greeted with a nice smile and prompt service from the man on reception ... no problems there .
First meal in the resturant was a bit of a shock , trying to find an empty table was a bit difficult , but eventially we found one , queuing for food was a bit of a battle as russian people dont know that the word "queue"means wait until its your turn , they just barged in ! The food was okay but repeated almost everyday . The hotel needs a good overall , the bathrooms are a bit tatty and dated .
On a BIG plus side was the animation team , they was fantastic , during the day they organised water sports in the pool , along with darts , volley ball and other entertainment , in the evenings they always put on a brilliant show . Sadly on our last night there they told us that the animation teams manager had left and a new one had been brought in to take his place , such sad news .
All in all we had a good holiday , but i will not return to this hotel again

Kolding
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

First of all, I would say the hotel is not a 5 star hotel, more something like 3-4 star in European standard.

I stayed there for a week with my friend, and we had a great time in Tunisia.

The Hotel is a good value hotel, good location, but you get what you pay for.
In the start of your vacation, I can recommend to give tips, for the service you get (usually 1-2 Dinars) Even if you got all-inclusive. From bartenders, porters, waiters and cleaning ladies. They will remember this, and give you a really good service. Its a tradition to pay for a good service in Tunisia.

When all this is said, the service varies a little from bartenders and waiters, so stay with the same person and ask for him.

The rooms are very well, and clean, good bathrooms, but a old TV, but then again we did not use it.

The food on in the restaurant is not the best of the best, but average and okay. At the ale carte restaurant, we waited approx. 1,5 hour on getting the food (we ordered burgers), not recommendable.I recommend go out and try some of the local restaurants, some of the days.

The pool-area is a very nice place for relaxing and swimming. There is also some different activities from the animation team, water polo, aerobic, table tennis and beach volley, very good.

On the beach there is different activities you can pay for, water scooters, paragliding behind a speedboat and more, very fun. The only bad thing I can say about the beach, is that there is a lot of trash in the water, coming from the sea. Don't know if its better at the other hotels.

I would say the best thing about the hotel experience was the Animation team, always outgoing fun and ready to talk and making sure you had a good time, from adults to children. They always had some shows an activities you could join. One of the members from team, even went with us in to the city and showed us a good restaurant. Friendly Team.

When we stayed at the hotel, there where mostly Russians and Germans, and some from European countries.

All in all a very pleasant vacation on this hotel.

Room Tip: The first thing to check, is if the air-condition is working. The first room we got, it did not work...
wroclaw
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I choose this hotel because of the attractive price. I read before many opinions about "Orient Palace", so I didn't expect something luxury. What I read before was true: it's like 3-4* hotel but very well situated, with good rooms, nice garden and polite staff in the reception, restaurant and bars, but the food in the restaurant is very boring (repetitive). The only thing which really disturbed me was the animation ! The animation team didn't have any attractive programm for the clients in different age groups. The animators didn't speak foreign languages well and their private conversations with the clients were very primitive. They wery very active only when they wanted to propose to us paid activities like bingo, tombola or other similar games for which they were selling the tickets (3 times per week they had these kind of paid animation !!!), so I think that they just wanted to earn on us as much as possible and they dind't care about the other free of charge activities. In my opinion the animation team in this hotels is a big missunderstanding !

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Classified as a five star hotel, I'm afraid to say that the Orient Palace has a long way to go to measure up. There again, maybe it's been there already and just forgotten what it's supposed to be like!

We were last at Sousse forty years ago and we obviously expected some changes, but it was still a shock. Back then, we stayed at the Hill Diar which was the last hotel in the city. There were no duel carriageways and it was a poor area.

Now, it has expanded well beyond the Hill Diar and has everything that any modern city has, but this modernisation has done it no favours. It is tired, dirty and run-down. Just like the Orient Palace, Sousse feels as it it's seen the best of its time. It feels as if the city is now struggling to compete with Tunisia's premier resort of Hammamet, which is much, much closer to Tunis airport, cutting transfer times by a huge margin.

The Orient Palace is a huge hotel with around 900 rooms. If you want a sea view, you have to pay extra - something that our travel agent didn't tell us - It has five restaurants and two pools, a jacuzzi, and spa. Unfortunately, the jacuzzi and spa are in a dingy basement that is hardly inviting or conducive to relaxation,although the indoor pool is very nice.

The biggest problem for new arrivals is the lack of information available. You have to find out about most things by trial and error. For example, the only place you can eat "all inclusive" is the main restaurant. You get one ala carte meal per stay included, so you will have to pay to eat there after your one freebie. The other eateries appear to open late evenings only for "snacks". Normally at all inclusive hotels, there is a good choice of food and snacks all day long.

Towels are available for a 10 dinar deposit, but like many of the facilities, you won't know that until you try to get one.

The food is well cooked and some of it is tasty, but mostly, it is repetitive and bland. When I say "repetitive" I'm not exaggerating. Every meal seems to have the same hot and cold dishes every day. I would be eating out if I were here longer than a week. As with other parts of the hotel, the restaurant has lost it's grandeur, for example, The waiters' stations are falling apart and the table linen needs replacing, much of it is stained.

The bedrooms are sizeable with separate bathroom and wc. There is plenty of storage space, but no drawers. The real downside for me is the bed; rock hard with pillows that feel as if they're made out of concrete! I've taken to using the spare blanket, rolled-up as a pillow instead.
Although there is a trouser press, a fridge for your bottled water and a hair dryer in the room, Don't expect any of the other niceties that a five star should provide, such as tea or coffee facilities.

In our room, the carpet was filthy, not with dirt (I don't think) but with stains. There's even an iron burn mark on it. I moved the TV round to see it better and it revealed a thick layer of dust.
I think that some of the rooms have been refurbished, so I'd ask for one of those if I were you.
Contrary to the hotel's own information, room safes are actually free, as is the WiFi.

The gardens are lovely and well appointed with sun beds and parasols in abundance. IHowever, I think they will struggle to accommodate everyone when the hotel is fully occupied. Mattresses are available free, but the man who brings them to you will expect a tip.

The hotel has echoes of its five star greatness, but now it is in need of some TLC and investment to bring it back. Unfortunately, coming back, is something we won't be doing.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room and remember the only way to get a sea view is to pay extra.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Halstead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The room sizes are good; staff and gardens good- unfortunately that's where it ends. The food is VERY repetitive - lunch and dinner same every day; it's bland and boring - even the al a carte restaurant . Signage and information within the hotel are almost non-existent. I believe they may have refurbished some rooms but not ours, here the carpets are filthy and stained, the walls have cracks showing and as for the beds and pillows - concrete best describes both. What a shame, the hotel has much potential but nothing is being done. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: ask for a refurb room and budget to eat out (although there does not appear to be much choice locall...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
west midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I do not even know where to start with this hotel. My main concern in particular with this hotel is the level of customer service which appears to be non existant. There is complete lack of communication in the reception area. On arrival and check in we were not informed about the various restaurants on site and bars (one of which you have to pay for drinks for even if you are on an all inclusive package). We were also not told that there are complimentary snacks available in the pizza restaurant everyday between 4-5pm. Had no infomation about the al a carte restaurant on site. Neither did we have any information on when our tour guide would be arriving for a meeting scheduled for the next day.

The restaurant staff are ridiculously slow, one day it took them 15 minutes to ask for a drink, finally when the drinks came another 10 minutes later we had finished our meal and told them they were too late! choice of food on some days were ok and other days poor, being a vegetarian i found it diffiucult especially with there being no labels on any food. So infact you had to guess what you were eating...Very helpful.

Bedrooms are ok, not a 5 star more like 3 star, kept clean but could be a bit cleaner in my opinion. nice size bathroom and separate toilet. Bathroom only has one light so when showering you are almost showering in the dark. Water kept going hot and cold.

beach area, dirty with lots of sea weed so didnt really spend much time there.

pool area, ok, not really anything spectacular.

reception area quite big and well maintained but still wouldnt call it a 5 star.

tea and coffee at this hotel is rubbish!!!

overall i would not reccomend this hotel to anyone, i have never been to a hotel where staff are so arrogant and not willing to help, looks like they need some serious training on customer service!!!

if you have booked here then be prepared but a holiday is what you make of it. If you are looking to book, look at another hotel.

i will not be returning to this hotel or to tunisia!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Orient Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!