“A good value Hotel, good animation Team.” 4 of 5 stars

Orient Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard 14 Janvier, Sousse 4051 , Tunisia   |
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Sousse
Kolding
“A good value Hotel, good animation Team.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

First of all, I would say the hotel is not a 5 star hotel, more something like 3-4 star in European standard.

I stayed there for a week with my friend, and we had a great time in Tunisia.

The Hotel is a good value hotel, good location, but you get what you pay for.
In the start of your vacation, I can recommend to give tips, for the service you get (usually 1-2 Dinars) Even if you got all-inclusive. From bartenders, porters, waiters and cleaning ladies. They will remember this, and give you a really good service. Its a tradition to pay for a good service in Tunisia.

When all this is said, the service varies a little from bartenders and waiters, so stay with the same person and ask for him.

The rooms are very well, and clean, good bathrooms, but a old TV, but then again we did not use it.

The food on in the restaurant is not the best of the best, but average and okay. At the ale carte restaurant, we waited approx. 1,5 hour on getting the food (we ordered burgers), not recommendable.I recommend go out and try some of the local restaurants, some of the days.

The pool-area is a very nice place for relaxing and swimming. There is also some different activities from the animation team, water polo, aerobic, table tennis and beach volley, very good.

On the beach there is different activities you can pay for, water scooters, paragliding behind a speedboat and more, very fun. The only bad thing I can say about the beach, is that there is a lot of trash in the water, coming from the sea. Don't know if its better at the other hotels.

I would say the best thing about the hotel experience was the Animation team, always outgoing fun and ready to talk and making sure you had a good time, from adults to children. They always had some shows an activities you could join. One of the members from team, even went with us in to the city and showed us a good restaurant. Friendly Team.

When we stayed at the hotel, there where mostly Russians and Germans, and some from European countries.

All in all a very pleasant vacation on this hotel.

Room Tip: The first thing to check, is if the air-condition is working. The first room we got, it did not work...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
wroclaw
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I choose this hotel because of the attractive price. I read before many opinions about "Orient Palace", so I didn't expect something luxury. What I read before was true: it's like 3-4* hotel but very well situated, with good rooms, nice garden and polite staff in the reception, restaurant and bars, but the food in the restaurant is very boring (repetitive). The only thing which really disturbed me was the animation ! The animation team didn't have any attractive programm for the clients in different age groups. The animators didn't speak foreign languages well and their private conversations with the clients were very primitive. They wery very active only when they wanted to propose to us paid activities like bingo, tombola or other similar games for which they were selling the tickets (3 times per week they had these kind of paid animation !!!), so I think that they just wanted to earn on us as much as possible and they dind't care about the other free of charge activities. In my opinion the animation team in this hotels is a big missunderstanding !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Classified as a five star hotel, I'm afraid to say that the Orient Palace has a long way to go to measure up. There again, maybe it's been there already and just forgotten what it's supposed to be like!

We were last at Sousse forty years ago and we obviously expected some changes, but it was still a shock. Back then, we stayed at the Hill Diar which was the last hotel in the city. There were no duel carriageways and it was a poor area.

Now, it has expanded well beyond the Hill Diar and has everything that any modern city has, but this modernisation has done it no favours. It is tired, dirty and run-down. Just like the Orient Palace, Sousse feels as it it's seen the best of its time. It feels as if the city is now struggling to compete with Tunisia's premier resort of Hammamet, which is much, much closer to Tunis airport, cutting transfer times by a huge margin.

The Orient Palace is a huge hotel with around 900 rooms. If you want a sea view, you have to pay extra - something that our travel agent didn't tell us - It has five restaurants and two pools, a jacuzzi, and spa. Unfortunately, the jacuzzi and spa are in a dingy basement that is hardly inviting or conducive to relaxation,although the indoor pool is very nice.

The biggest problem for new arrivals is the lack of information available. You have to find out about most things by trial and error. For example, the only place you can eat "all inclusive" is the main restaurant. You get one ala carte meal per stay included, so you will have to pay to eat there after your one freebie. The other eateries appear to open late evenings only for "snacks". Normally at all inclusive hotels, there is a good choice of food and snacks all day long.

Towels are available for a 10 dinar deposit, but like many of the facilities, you won't know that until you try to get one.

The food is well cooked and some of it is tasty, but mostly, it is repetitive and bland. When I say "repetitive" I'm not exaggerating. Every meal seems to have the same hot and cold dishes every day. I would be eating out if I were here longer than a week. As with other parts of the hotel, the restaurant has lost it's grandeur, for example, The waiters' stations are falling apart and the table linen needs replacing, much of it is stained.

The bedrooms are sizeable with separate bathroom and wc. There is plenty of storage space, but no drawers. The real downside for me is the bed; rock hard with pillows that feel as if they're made out of concrete! I've taken to using the spare blanket, rolled-up as a pillow instead.
Although there is a trouser press, a fridge for your bottled water and a hair dryer in the room, Don't expect any of the other niceties that a five star should provide, such as tea or coffee facilities.

In our room, the carpet was filthy, not with dirt (I don't think) but with stains. There's even an iron burn mark on it. I moved the TV round to see it better and it revealed a thick layer of dust.
I think that some of the rooms have been refurbished, so I'd ask for one of those if I were you.
Contrary to the hotel's own information, room safes are actually free, as is the WiFi.

The gardens are lovely and well appointed with sun beds and parasols in abundance. IHowever, I think they will struggle to accommodate everyone when the hotel is fully occupied. Mattresses are available free, but the man who brings them to you will expect a tip.

The hotel has echoes of its five star greatness, but now it is in need of some TLC and investment to bring it back. Unfortunately, coming back, is something we won't be doing.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room and remember the only way to get a sea view is to pay extra.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Halstead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The room sizes are good; staff and gardens good- unfortunately that's where it ends. The food is VERY repetitive - lunch and dinner same every day; it's bland and boring - even the al a carte restaurant . Signage and information within the hotel are almost non-existent. I believe they may have refurbished some rooms but not ours, here the carpets are filthy and stained, the walls have cracks showing and as for the beds and pillows - concrete best describes both. What a shame, the hotel has much potential but nothing is being done. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: ask for a refurb room and budget to eat out (although there does not appear to be much choice locall...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
west midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I do not even know where to start with this hotel. My main concern in particular with this hotel is the level of customer service which appears to be non existant. There is complete lack of communication in the reception area. On arrival and check in we were not informed about the various restaurants on site and bars (one of which you have to pay for drinks for even if you are on an all inclusive package). We were also not told that there are complimentary snacks available in the pizza restaurant everyday between 4-5pm. Had no infomation about the al a carte restaurant on site. Neither did we have any information on when our tour guide would be arriving for a meeting scheduled for the next day.

The restaurant staff are ridiculously slow, one day it took them 15 minutes to ask for a drink, finally when the drinks came another 10 minutes later we had finished our meal and told them they were too late! choice of food on some days were ok and other days poor, being a vegetarian i found it diffiucult especially with there being no labels on any food. So infact you had to guess what you were eating...Very helpful.

Bedrooms are ok, not a 5 star more like 3 star, kept clean but could be a bit cleaner in my opinion. nice size bathroom and separate toilet. Bathroom only has one light so when showering you are almost showering in the dark. Water kept going hot and cold.

beach area, dirty with lots of sea weed so didnt really spend much time there.

pool area, ok, not really anything spectacular.

reception area quite big and well maintained but still wouldnt call it a 5 star.

tea and coffee at this hotel is rubbish!!!

overall i would not reccomend this hotel to anyone, i have never been to a hotel where staff are so arrogant and not willing to help, looks like they need some serious training on customer service!!!

if you have booked here then be prepared but a holiday is what you make of it. If you are looking to book, look at another hotel.

i will not be returning to this hotel or to tunisia!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Chorzow, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

It was my second time in this hotel. I came back because last year I was very satisfied, so I wanted to repeat my holidays in the good place and nice atmosphere. Most of things didn't change: nice, comfortable and clean rooms, good food, very polite and friendly staff in the reception, bars and restaurant (I could only see that people, not only staff of this hotel, have more problems, specially economical, so they really need to be tipped). But thing which dissapointed me was animation: I remember the animation staff from last year which was graet, they were very friendly and active in the day and night (I remember specially their cheef Sabri who was the "heart" of the animation), their programm was rich and interesting for people in every age. This time I've heard that hotel eployed new animators, but I only heard, because I din't see them at all. The hotel was "sleeping" - there was no animation at all, so it was rather boring week for me, specially that I was already in Sousse and I've visited most of the attractions here (except the Archeological Museum in Medina which is new open after renovation and which is really worth to see). Because there is no entertainment in "Orient Palace", I don't advice this hotel to young people or families with children. It's good for people who look for silence and quiet relax without any activities.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The previous reviewers appear to have been at around the same time as us but had a totally different experiance. Nearly all the staff were polite and helpful ( there is always the odd 1 that isn't in a big hotel ) - we lost a phone somewhere on the beach and they did try hard to help.
The bar staff were a bit sluggish but often as not would ask us to sit down and bring the drinks to us. ( started asking for 2 each to save any waiting for the second )
Our room was good but just lacked some fit and finish in the bathroom ( exposed pipes and small gaps - not 5 star finish )
The food we really enjoyed as there were quite a few different items each day.
There was a cook on hand to make pancakes or omlets fresh for breakfast which were excellent ( added potatoes and tomatoes to the omlets - lovely ) think he fried eggs as well if you asked.
Although we were there for a couple of days when the hotel was a bit overun by political parties we never had a seating problem as the waiters seemed to give priorty to the longer term guests and sat us away from them on the upper floors. ( There was some queing for the food and some items ran short at this time )
The sweets were superb - the only problem was not knowing what to leave, ( you will put on weight if you like sweet.things )
The beach is clean and tidy around most of the hotels but if you wonder away from these areas you will see what it could be like.
The Tunisians are not a tidy people as you will see if you journey around and look at any fields near towns or villages and they will be covered in plastic bags that have been thrown down and blown into trees, bushes and grass.
The driving can be a bit hair raising if you are not used to driving on a race track but we felt quite at home as we are ( go indoor Karting with experianced drivers before you go and you will be prepared ) Its worth trying if you can as you see a lot more of life there if you get off the main roads.
We did the desert experiance which was good ( they use 4 x 4s once you are off the tarmaced roads but we have been on worse roads in hire cars so you could do it yourself if you can work out were to go ) Sousse itself is worth a visit ( we walked along the beach ) but you will get accosted by people saying they are from the hotel and offering to show you around - this will happen at any place you go to. ( they are hoping you will pay them but bare in mind they get a kickback from any shop you spend money in )
All in all this was an enjoyable holiday in a hotel that looked to be a lot better than many of the others in the area but bare in mind that they had their revolution a couple of years ago so there are still signs of this around ( the police cars are mainly battered wrecks with wire mesh over the windows and there are well armed police at many junctions ) some hotels are still closed with bits missing.

Room Tip: If you shop around for a deal ( not direct ) you will find it is not much more to go all inclusive a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Orient Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!