“Five star entrance Minus 5 star service” 1 of 5 stars

Orient Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard 14 Janvier, Sousse 4051, Tunisia   |
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Sousse
BRIGHTON
“Five star entrance Minus 5 star service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The entrance and reception area are beautifully kept and that is where it ends.
Having travelled worldwide and in many different countries at various hotels.I have to say this hotel was the most disappointing experience I have ever had.
I could go on here to list countless things wrong with this hotel, but will give the hotel an opportunity to respond to my letter of complaint.
You should however be aware that I have never experienced such arrogance form staff ever!
You could be at the bar for ten fifteen minutes and staff would walk past you and total ignore you, choosing to serve you if and when they felt like it and then it was with no pleasure whatsoever. I am referring to the bar used for allinclusive I will say the pool bar was fine.
As most of your experience if all inclusive will be in the main bar please be aware that you will grudgingly be served when it suits them and ice if they feel like it , They are however quicker to pour themselves a couple of sly vodkas perhaps that is why they can't be bothered.
It would appear here that this is a management decision to control just how much you have during your stay as I cannot see any other explanation for this type of blatant disrespect for guests.
I could rant on about this for ages and the very relaxed management style for staff( staff smoking and drinking in the bar , more interested in football on tv)they are however very quick to tell you you cant do this cant do that cant have this here or there etc.Dining has no ambiance or experience whatsoever more akin to Butlins in the 60s than a so called five star hotel. There is little difference between the hot and cold buffet and in general a very poor standard all round.I could forgive this slightly if the service was better but its not I do not accept that you make do and can always find something to eat as acceptable when you have paid good money to eat, you wouldn't accept in anywhere else so why in your hotel.
I will say the soup was always hot and usually the best part of the meals available.
I have visited Tunisia a few times now and this Hotel experience has seriously damaged my decision as to if I will return.If Tunisian tourist board ever review these comments, stop hotels like this being given 5 stars and seeing guests as an opportunity to extract as much cash as possible from them in order to receive minimum standards of service.
In my opinion , just don't go to this hotel.A few years ago I stayed at the Rihad Palms hotel and it was excellent in service food and cleanliness. I only wish I had re booked this visit.
I am happy to answer or expand on any of my comments. I will update if I ever hear back from the Manager regarding my complaint made in writing.

Room Tip: I Paid for a sea view room which I got , only to find a water park being built next to the hotel so...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel is definitely not all it seems to be! Looks nice from the exterior, but it is definitely worn and tired, in particular the rooms. Ants crawling everywhere, told room service on the second day. They came and sorted it on the night we left. The staff are horrendous here. It should be service for money not money for service. I understand they are financially struggling and may live in poverty. But we also work hard for our money and expect value for money. The food was ok. The rooms were cleaned daily. The indoor swimming pool was nice,as it was not that warm to be jumping into the outdoor pool or the ocean in April. They were friendly with the children, especially the animation squad ( Mario) try to entertain the children as much as they can. (Music can be a bit too loud). Location was spot on. Too busy in centre of Sousse, feel sorry for the hotels there! It is 5 dinars in a taxi from the so called orient palace to sousse centre. There is a supermarket and pahrmacy next to the orient it is two minutes from there. On the second to last day of our stay, the hotel was hosting a political demonstrations for Tunisians, the hotel was overrun, there were film crews and people chanting in the large lobby area. The food courts were overrun and it was difficult to find seating. We were lucky we only had to deal with it to one night. They were at the hotel for five nights lol! Security was an issue, one of the guests had their phone and wallet stolen from their room. A cleaner was later arrested. I should have really taken much more thought in the reviews left by holiday makers on trip advisor. This was my second visit here. Definitely would not stay in sousse but rather in hammemet. If I ever go to this country again. Local Tunisians are great. The hotel employ staff from other middle eastern countries and not from the local community. This may be why they are arrogant, rude and obnoxious staff. Read the reviews and trust!

• Stayed April 2013
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel is spotless, lovely polished marble floors and the rooms are neat and clean. Cleaning ladies come every day and make sure the room is kept clean with fresh towels and bathroom cleaned, etc. If you want more soap, shampoo, you only have to ask nicely. The food is great - there is something for everybody. It's very European, lots of chicken, turkey, lamb, fish, salads, vegetables, and a Tunisian buffet. The desserts are amazing - I tried hard not to eat them but in the end I could not resist the delicious little mouthfuls of mille feuille, chocolate profiteroles, chocolate mousse, freshly made strawberries and cream cakes! The staff are friendly and courteous, and always helpful with whatever you need. The indoor pool was great - I swam every day. I had a couple of massages from a superb girl called Najiba, hope she is there if I go next time! The gardens are beautiful, well-kept and groomed, with pretty brightly coloured flowers. Birds twitter and hop in and out of the palm trees, the outdoor pool is clean (but a bit too cold for me in April! Others bravely jumped right in though...) The beach is literally at the end of the gardens, and the sea is crystal clear and an eye-wateringly clear sea green and aqua blue. As a single traveller it's important to me to feel safe, and I always did feel safe and comfortable. There was a big conference for the first couple of days of my stay, so the hotel felt a bit busy and crowded for those days, but understandably they need the revenues. Nonetheless, this is a lovely hotel, I would cheerfully come again. It is amazing value for what I paid. A small piece of advice: given how little the locals earn, it is nice to tip the cleaning ladies and the pool attendant, doesn't have to be a huge amount, but given how amazingly inexpensive it is to holiday there, it is the right thing to do.

Room Tip: My room was overlooking the pool with a glimpse of the sea view. Lovely! If the hotel is not fully...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Stroud, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel is mainly a Tunisians local hotel, however dont let that intimidate you, we stayed here at the end of March 2013 and had a wonderful time; infact at one point I think there was only 25 persons staying then over the weekend the whole Hotel was full. The Beach was lovely and hubby did venture out into the sea. The weather was warm enough to lie out on the terrace and soak in some Rays and do some reading.

The Breakfast was the varied, but I can recommend the Orange yoghurt which a bit of a weird colour, but I was hooked. Our evening meal was varied and the soups were great. We ate a couple of times in the onsite smaller restaurant, which did a great pizzas and sandwiches etc. The staff were always very helpful and friendly even trying to tell me how they made the salad dressings!

Dont use the American bar!! Wow the prices were mega steep in there, but he other is cozy. The bar staff are lovely "Oke Dokey and Cheers Me Dears" are words most heard :)

The rooms were totally adequate and we had a lovely view of the pool and ocean. The TV even had a few chanels which spoke English lol. There was a safe, Fridge and hairdyer, the shower was lovely and even tried the bath :) Our maid was very sweet and always spoke. The indoor swimming pool was never crowded and it was a nice place to chill.

Wahid my Man if your reading this "We Love you" lol Brilliant man and the coat fits - and Mark still wearing the camel shoes :) xx

The locals were lovely and willing to have a chat and when we got caught in a freakish Thunder, lightening and then a rain storm which flooded the streets in the town, we piled into a Burger place called Falmers which do a pretty good burger and chips - can recommend Falmers.

We hired a car for the day Wow that was an experience, which resulted in getting lost, getting caught in the non stop rush day, being hit up the rear (luckily no damage) and being stopped by the Police twice!! Ninja Police on Quad bikes!!! We had an amazing time :)

We have been to Tunisia before in Le Orange, Hammet - Both brilliant Hotels and Locations. However our Niavity the first time regarding markets and areas where you are hounded in an horrendous manner gave us hind site, we avoided all those areas and this time thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Haslingfield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

A luxury hotel with friendly helpful staff, spacious well equipped rooms, excellent food, clean beach. Only inconvenience, apart fro the restaurants, people are free to smoke in all the public spaces, however this is true throughout the country.
Sousse is a great place with lots of things to do and within easy reach of many other great places in the country.

Room Tip: Ask specifically for the sort of room you want, in our case a double on the top floor with sea view...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We just got back after spending a week at the hotel. By all accounts there is very little I can fault, as any issued we were dealt with immediately Whilst it was a quiet time of the year as far as occupancy was concerned at the hotel, we experienced a high level of service, the indoor pool was a bonus and finally the meals were excellent, perhaps not to everyone's taste. The facilities it offers is excellent, the internet is free,the area surrounding the hotel is well maintained and the beach was clean. What more do you want.

Room Tip: Worth pay the extra for sea view rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Alesund, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Is a very nice and big hotel , with club inside, cafe place, big and nice rooms, very nice garden close to the water, but , cleaning not soo good...The food was very variet and very good.
Still, remember about cleaning....
We took the trip to Sahara, a wonderful experience, but everything was so dirty , so this is the main reason to consider if I will go back in Tunisia.
If you give money around, they will treat you very wheel ;)
Remember you must negotiate everything, they will try to trick you every step...

Room Tip: Give extra money at the reception... (20 euro)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Orient Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!