“Jinene and Royal Jinene did I go to the same one I read about” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jinene & Royal Jinene Hotels

You added Jinene & Royal Jinene Hotels to your Saves list
Jinene & Royal Jinene Hotels
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sdht, Boulevard du 14 Janvier Route Touristique Sousse, Sousse 4051, Tunisia   |
Ranked #22 of 39 Hotels in Sousse
“Jinene and Royal Jinene did I go to the same one I read about”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

After booking this hotel I read the reviews and was very apprehensive about going as we had booked for 1 month from 7/3 till 4/4 . We were there with most of these people who have put in the more recent reviews . On the 1st day we told Mr Fritz no and he never bothered us again, On arrival at the hotel I asked for a Sunny Balcony and although they had prepared another room for us they prepared a room with the sunny Balcony for us . The food through out our stay was good . Each day we had at least 3 choices from Beef Turkey Chicken or Veal plus a fish dish and also Pasta . Sweets were mostly cakes and a creamy angel delight type . Some times there were Pancakes and Ice Cream so not sure why Egg and chips was the only option . I heard some comments on about nothing for the children to eat . My children ate the same as the rest of the family and did not have to have special food when they were young . Hotel was clean staff were freindly and room cleaner on 4th floor was great . We had a great waiter ( Ben ) Oh and just in case you are wondering we gave no tips out until the day we left. Would we go back again YES .
For price we paid I doubt if we would have got a week bed and breakfast in Blackpool so it was great value for money . I would like to say a great big thank you to all the staff at this hotel for a great holiday and we look forward to returning .

Room Tip: At this hotel you have to choose a room with a Sunny Balcony or Full Sea view you cannot have both...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Just back from 10 days in the Jinene Hotel with my 14 year old grandson. Room was basic, was cleaned every day and sheets and towels changed daily. You were allocated a table in restaurant - our table was near buffet so not far to carry meals which were edible and there was a daily choice of beef, chicken and fish dishes, plenty of veg, pasta and rice. sweets were lovely and fresh oranges and apples at every meal. Fresh grapefruit at breakfast every day also.Typical all inclusive fare and was always hot.
Staff were ok, some better than others - most had limited command of English but you could make yourself understood, if you can speak German then you will be fine. The staff selling trips were a pain, but if you do book the camel rides, pirate ship or quad bikes with them DO NOT pay more than 30 dinar per person (they will try and charge you £30 each to start with). The on-site shop is quite expensive but if you don't want the hassle of the medina it is fine.
There is an internet cafe and telephones but they are only open from 9-5 mon -sat and the internet part was not working but the manager let me use the computer in his office when I asked when it would be fixed.
The outdoor pool was empty for maintenance and cleaning before the start of the summer season and only opened 3 days before we left but to be honest it was too cold to use it - and there is an indoor pool which was great. The spa centre was reasonable and the massage I had was very relaxing and the staff were lovely.
Downside was the "all-inclusive" bar - it served beer (quite nice), red, white and rose wine (perfectly adequate) but only two spirits - a local rake cross schnapps and an orange concoction which was really sweet - they would mix both together and call it a cocktail - revolting. I did buy a vodka (£1.75) but it was like drinking petrol so I would not have drunk it on AI anyway. The drinks were served in glass tea cups which I found extremely amusing.
All in all a perfectly adequate hotel, I would go back if I wanted a cheap chill-out week and lets be honest if you want 5 star service then you should pay for it. For what I paid it was fine - I have paid more and stayed in worse.
Worst part of holiday were the brits looking for things to moan about - no british food (you want that go to blackpool), lack of drinks at the bar (I never went thirsty), basic rooms (clean and tidy and cheap). They were even moaning that there were too many foreigners in the hotel, but we met some lovely German, Swiss and Dutch people.
Go with an open mind at laugh at the silly things - like the cups - its not as bad as some have made out.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view as they are at back of hotel and are quieter at night.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Aberdare, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

just got back this evening and we stayed in the jinene, on arrivel we were dissapointed as we were told we were in the royal..i asked for a room with a pool/sea view and the guy at reception smiled and said no worries and did have considering, ask for this on arrival...our room was basic but clean, the maid changed our sheets and towels every day and she if only her was well worth a tip they work their nuts off...the pool was closed for 3 days???? no idea? when it was filled it was freezing but ok as our weather improved over the week.i wouldnt reccomend taking kids to this hotel as even tho the animation staff were good at there job there is nothing for children apart from a sing song 9-10pm, as far as myself and partner were concerned the food was good/ok....a few choices at the evening meals, lunch time ok but the same everyday and brekkie as far as we were concerned was ok !!! regarding the waiters and tips etc...there r a few who dont seem interested unless u tip but then i found them no different...the 3 or 4 who i did tip a dinar here or there were tidy, the only downside was the all inclusive drinks, i had the local larger ( its what i drunk ) my partner likes vodka but this wasnt available unless u paid and a woman told us she paid for a glass of petrol..they only had 2 spirits, bouka and sum sort of sknapps???? plus red or white wine..there is a guy who works at the poolside ( we called him one tooth ) a lovely guy who works tirelessly on the pool and bringing u mattereses for ur loungers everyday i gave him a dinar a day and we had our loungers sorted and he was over the moon....at the end of the day guys this is a basic hotel which is clean n tidy and it doesnt cost the world u get what u pay for ... as for mr fritz and co badgering u to go on trips,,,,,, tell him straight i did....we did the camel ride which we enjoyed but told him after leave us alone and ur collegues....would i stay at this hotel again?????? yes...

Room Tip: request a pool / sea view on arrival
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We'll I have read many reviews about this hotel and before I came my anxieties were high as I was a single traveller. Having been here for 3 days I can only say it's not that bad not if you paid under £100

The lack of choice in drinks are to be desired, beer or coffee , coffee that has been in a urn all day.
some staff are nice others not so
I can't fault the choice in the food in the evening and everything I have had has been nice. The hotel is clean
Overall it has not been that bad with a little of bit of training in their customer relations then it could be a good hotel even better if you are Russian or German

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Where do we start, staff only helpful if you tip, staff have there hands out expecting tips, hassled by the 'official' tour guide everyday to go on camel rides (mr fritz) and to use the spa, no outdoor pool as it was emptied for 3days during a 7 day vacation,also put out of the way in the corner of the dining room as we told we where British.

The staffs understanding of us was very selective. only understood what they wanted to understand.

The hotel was full of english middle aged ladies with tunisian 'fiances'. we felt very uncomfortable as we are led to believe this is breaking tunisian law. but seemed to be the norm in this hotel.

The choice of 'all inclusive' if thats what you can call it is extremely poor. 1 beer (which is served in my grans tea cup) to choose from and 2 spirits. which were to be desired. the soft drinks were never genuine coke fanta sprite etc.

the best part of the week was handing the keys back on the final day!

The veiw from the room was just wasteland!!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Me and my partner checked in to the Jinene Hotel on the 5th of March for a week. Once we finally got there at 2am as our flight was delayed by 4 hours we got handed our keys and was told our room was on the 3rd floor. nothing else. Our room was large all be it abit dated which was suitable for us because we didnt intend on spending much time in it (if only we knew), we had a large balcony facing the side of the hotel looking onto waste ground across from the hotel. We ventured down for breakfast but ended up walking round the hotel trying to find it. by the time someone from the hotel realised we were lost he told us it was in there sister hotel Royal Jinene. i wish i never bothered. There food is tasteless. you get a good variety but nothing that goes together. all different kinds of meat dishes and chips daily which is good you would never go hungry as there is always something you can eat. The staff in the hotel where nice on the first day but as someone else said if you dont tip them you dont get treated the same. All Inc drinks are beer which is lovely served in my grannies old tea cups and 2 types of house spirits which makes you gag everytime you take a drink served in small cups. cola is flat and the fanta is not fanta. And you cant see cause of the smoke. the indoor pool is lovely we spent most of our time in here as the weather wasnt that good so the outdoor pool was like ice, the hotel grounds are stunning and well looked after, you get hassled off the people in the hotel to book trips and get you pic taked and no matter how many times you tell them no they will always come back to you. the entertainment was bingo which cost you 10 Dinars to play and a guy who pressed play on a cd and then watches films. We booked this hotel cause we were told it was in the tourist part of tunisia. we walked for hours and only seen 3 shops and loads of waste ground. The Beach is stunning one of the best ive seen. I would never go back to tunisia! people say you either love it or hate it. well i HATED it !

Room Tip: We were in room 309 and the room was large but we never got any sun and the view was a waste ground.
Sousse, Tunisia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Day One - No understand reception staff.

Room so small and not prepared for family arrival, as in no bed for son who is 5. When the bed arrived there was no room to move around. Moved to another room without a balcony. No hairdryers in any room so pack one.

Food is targeting main people at the hotel i.e. Germans, so if you like eating cabbage anytime of the day, its tip top good. The staff said they would cater for our taste and cook what we wanted so we are surviving on fried eggs and chips. The hotel doesn't have 2 restaurants, it's 1 and based in the sister hotel next door. Forced to sit in the same chair everyday for some reason?

Harassed on a daily basis by reps wanting to sell their products (watch out for Mr Fritz) who took it to a level, where he focused on my son (who is 5) so he wanted to do what he said and upset him when we said 'no'. Despite this he kept coming back, so although we were polite at first, eventually patience gets lost.

A photographer who is around the campus also needs lessons in Sales technique.

Bar staff who unless you tip (remembering this is an all inclusive hotel) bypass you and serve others that do tip.

I could go on, but I am still here until Sunday, so will have to suffer until then. A friend who's review is above (Dawn) is 100% with what she said as we too are looking forwards to going home and has become a location that we will not recommend to anyone.

There are a few friendly people i.e. The maid who was always helpful and friendly and Alex the entertainer who was child friendly and did everything he could to entertain, but overall the staff were unhelpful, moody and never had a smile unless money exchanged hands.

Choose well when you come to Tunisia and read the reviews carefully.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool have a great view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Jinene & Royal Jinene Hotels? Share your experiences!