“Great location, nice food good service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marhaba Royal Salem

Save Saved
You added Marhaba Royal Salem to your Saves list
Marhaba Royal Salem
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard 7 Novembre Route Touristique | Route Touristique, Sousse 4039, Tunisia   |
Ranked #4 of 39 hotels in Sousse
Aalborg
“Great location, nice food good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

The hotel complex consists of three hotels where R.S. Beach is on the beach. Great location and absout no noise from traffic or nightlife.
We had an All-inclusive, which was OK, the food was fine but could be more localized and more spicy, but for the fastidious the food is very well. The range of food is excellent, ingredients is good and fresh, good well-prepared food that could revamped with more local flavor and stronger flavor. A bit shoddy that drinks were served in plastic cups and a little tiring that beer was served in very similar small plastic mug. It is possible to use all facilities throughout the complex. Fitness center is small and not very showy, but has the necessary tools, so OK.
Very annoying that every morning or night was the battle for seats at the pool, or more correctly, the three pools, all of which were good and clean. The beach was nice although at times was a waste (plastics) in the sea.
Good service, good location, good rooms, nice people, good standard of food and good hygiene. Cleaning of toilets, especially in the rooms could be much better and more thorough, but it helped when it was mentioned.
Currency exchange is a scandal in the hotel, the price is too low, so do not exchange at this hotel, make it at the airport upon arrival.
Few meters from the hotel on your left, there is a small supermarket that also has souvenirs, Palm Shopping. We found out that the prices here were competitive with the Medina and Kantaui, but obviously not nearly as charming as the two locations are on opposite manner.

• Stayed July 2010

921 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Worthing, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

We arrived late on a Sunday and the first impression of the hotel was excellent. The chap behind reception came out to greet us and check in was quick. A porter took our bags to our room and the room was clean and a decent size. The hotel itself looked very nice and I felt happy that we had made a good choice.

As the week went on it became quickly apparent that reception were rude and not interested in helping us with the smallest of issues. We were brushed off and made to feel ridiculous every time we wnt there. Things like the maid not leaving fresh towels or toilet roll and taking our glasses could not be resolved quickly. We also reported that the air conditioning in our room was not working and they kept saying that they would fix it but never did. The maid also, as other people mentioned, took no notice of the do not disturb sign and just came busting in without knocking on many occassions.

That said.. the hotel is in a good location. Cheap shops and a cafe on your doorstep and a half hour walk into Sousse. There are also restaurants on the way for a drink or food if you can't be bothered. The private beach area is lovely and the pools are also good. TOP TIP: make sure you tip the lifeguards when they find you a sunbed and you will be set for the rest of your trip. It only needs to be a couple of dinars a time. I had an excellent holiday overall, I'm just glad that I didn't have any major issues as I don't think I would have got any help from the hotel.

If you are a group of girls be warned.. men will not leave you alone in Tunisia. Whether its the beach, town or the animation team. It can get a bit tiring and annoying and unfortunately being polite does not work. Avoid the medina as it is just tat and the worst place for being followed etc..

I would recommend that you B&B as Tunisia is ridiculously cheap. Our cheapest dinner for two, which included soft drinks and a side order was the equivalent of £3.50 for BOTH of us. Cigarettes are about £2 per pack and alcoholic drinks are about the same when converted back.If you like a good steak go to the Saloon restaurant or Farmers, both are good.

If you have booked this hotel, please do not worry too much. We had a lovely holiday and made the most of it. However if you still making your mind up I would probably steer clear of this one.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Airdrie, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel twice in the past and have had a great holiday. However, this time I just could not wait to arrive back in Glasgow!!
The hotel staff are rude and arrogant. Entertainment team has completely changed and they are far to concerned with getting the girls into bed than actually doing there job! I have a shy 5 yr old and only 1 of the animation team spoke to him in the full fortnight (Keamo). No one tried to encourage him to take part (I knew he wanted to but was too shy, all he needed was some encouragement from them).
There were several very badly behaved teenagers and children running about causing trouble everywhere they went and none of there parents to be seen! The hotel just don't bat an eyelid.
We went to play pool and the cues were missing. We went to play the football game and a kid had pushed opened sashes of sugar in it to break it!! So annoying.
Our Air Con was broken in both our and my mother in laws room. We were told on day 1 that someone would fix it, but when we checked out 14 days later, it was still broken!! Not one of us had a decent sleep considering it was 40 degrees in the day and at least 25 degrees at night!
The cleaners refuse to give any more than 1 toilet roll per day, and there were 3 of us in our room .. I resorted to stealing them when she wasn't looking which is just ridiculous .

Now where to I start with the restaurant lol ... wellll .... the waiters take ages to get to you , then they are very abrupt with your order, we were half board and I asked for a bottle of water, I was told I couldn't have one?? When I questioned him he said all inclusive guests don't get bottled water, so I explained we were half board and he reluctantly went and got me a bottle of water, which would have been fine, only we had to go through the same argument every single time we ordered drinks for the full holiday. The waiter at the bar brought us 3 flat glasses of cola and 1 small beer and then had the cheek to ask for 14 dinars. I told him that I was not paying for it unless he gave me 3 cool cans of cola and a large beer because he had brought me all inclusive rubbish and was trying to pocket the 14 dinars for himself, they are so fly and greedy. The waiter stood and argued with me and it ended in a shouting match!! eventually I got what I wanted and I refused to buy a drink from that bar for the rest of the holiday.
There is never any teaspoons for tea/coffee or ice cream and there is never anyone to ask, when you do finally find someone they go to get it and don't come back .... or they throw the teaspoons down on your table in a very abrupt manner!
By the end of week 1 I was very drained and just kept thinking about how much money I had spent for this holiday and how much of a waste it all was.
Also in the street we were constantly hastled to buy things. They walk right up to you and when we said "no thank you" they would grab my 5 yr old and try to put it in his hand, I honestly thought my husband was going to end up punching one of them as they are soo intimidating.
All in all guys ....... Never, ever, ever, ever, everrrrr again!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Engalnd
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

The hotel was by far the worse i have EVER been to! We deceided to choose this hotel as the majority of the reviews were quite good! God knows how. Honestly do not go to this hotel if you want to enjoy your holiday!!!!!!. Firstly we arrived at the hotel at five o clock at night we got to our room which was boiling hot and realised the air conditioning was not working i went down to reception and was told someone would be up in 5 minutes. We waited an hour - Nobody arrived in the meantime we were sweating where the heat in our room was so unbearable! i then went down to reception again (Which by the way was no where near our hotel room) to be told 5 minutes AGAIN i told them i had already waited an hour but they were not in the slightest bit bothered. I went back upto the room and waited a further 2 hours for someone to arrive!!!!!! i rang reception as i refused to walk down there for the third time and they once again said five minutes! i was so annoyed we had waited over 3 hours just for someone to deal with our problem and still were getting no where in the end i went down to reception as it was nearly midnight and we wanted to go to sleep. I told them if they could not fix the problem, which they had not even bothered to look at! they need to move us to a room where the air conditioning was working so we could sleep. They finally moved us at 20 past one in the morning, What a lovely start to our holiday! but that was just the beginning. The next day we were moved back to our original room and it was fine for two days but on the third day we woke up absolutely boiling where the air conditioning had stopped working again. The room was absolutely stiffiling the curtains were brown and absorbed all the heat it really was like i sauna. We woke at 7am we were so tierd but the heat was unbearable. I went down to reception and explained that we had the same prblem again and this time i was not prepared to wait 7 hours for the situation to be resolved like last time. The response i got was go to the beach if its too hot in your room!!! it was seven o clock in the morning for god sake! i waited in recepiton this time until 11 as if you do not stay down there and keep on at them nothing gets done, it took 4 hours to resolve it when i was infront of them. All i was asking was either for them to fix them problem or move us to somewhere we can sleep and that took 4 hours AGAIN! By this time i was so annoyed. The reception showed us 3 two rooms that were dirty very small ans had no balcony which i refused the third room was still awful but had a balcony and to be honest i just wanted a room with air conditioning They said if we bring our bags to reception they will move us (Why they could not get a porter to help us i dont know) we carried our cases down 3 flights of stairs and then all the way to reception which we should not have had to do!!! we got t reception and i said please can we have a porter to take the luggage to our new room? to my horror i was told "No you said you would help with the luggage" i was astonished how he could be so rude especially after all the problems we had! The other receptionist said dont worry we will get you a porter by this time i was livid we grabbed the cases ourselves and took them to our room. The new room was horrble nothing like the room we had been given in the first place and to our horror we got into bed that night to find a blood stain at the top of one of the sheets!!!!!!!!!!! It really was vile. We also paid for a seaview which this new room did not have and we paid to hire a fridge which took two days for them to move to our new room. Please do not change you money up in the hotel they are total con artist they do not give you the correct exchange rate they give you 2 dinar to every pound when it should be 2.2 so when we changed up £150 they gave us £300 when its should have been £330 so they pocket a nice £30 dinars for themselves which to them is alot of money. Honestly i have never ever complained about any hotel before. But i felt i had to let people know about our experience The staff did not care a less and they were by far the rudest people i have ever come across.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

We have just come from spending a week at the Royal Salem Hotel which we booked through Thomas Cook. We arrived at around midnight on the Sunday evening/Monday morning, we were quickly asked to fill in the forms for reception which we did and then lead to our room.
We arrived in the room and the porter waited for a tip but we did not have any dinars, and said that we would find the porter once we have changed money and would give him the tip. The room was a twin room and had a shower of it which was tiny along with a small bath. The air conditioning in the room wasn’t working correctly but this didn’t bother us much as it was cool in the evenings and days as it was so warm.

Hotel – The hotel it’s self is lovely and has quite a lot of facilities, I have attached some pictures so you can see the grounds of the hotel, there are 3 pools in the complex as well as the beach which is gorgeous just on the edge of the complex.

Money – The hotel its self can change all your money, your best bet to get the best deal is to use the bank or change counter by the side of the reception. The reception desk changes dinars in a simple 2 dinars for a £1 which is a lot less then you should get looking back at the conversion rates and also the rate of the change facility next door. Things in the local shops near by were cheap for example a 2 litre bottle of coke was only 1 dinar and bottled water was only half a dinar.

Tips – Tipping is widely encouraged at this hotel and in Tunisia in general and the service you get will depend on the tipping of the waiters, if you tip by the pool then you are more likely to get your drinks to be brought to you at your table, the same is also applicable in the hotel bar, if you tip the bar staff then they are more likely to bring your drinks to you. Also tipping the cleaners worked some days but not other days, we left a tip from 1 to 3 dinars but we did seem to go a day or so without towels as they were taken but never replaced.

Staff – I’ve read on here a lot of complaints about the staff, during my week stay I have to say that I did see both sides of the coin. Our return flights were at 11:20pm and were scheduled to be picked up at 7:20pm, all week we were promised by the staff that we could book late check out and check out of our room at 7pm for the cost of 40 dinars.

We confirmed this nearly every day for the week as I wanted to pay for the late check out up front so we would have no problems but the reception staff refused and said that could only pay for it on the day. We were told on the Saturday that if we arrive at reception before 7am we can pay for it then, I arrived at 10 to 7 to pay for it and told to come back at 8am, I returned at 8am then told to come back after 9am so they could book it for us and confirm the room details.

We returned at 9am to be told that we could not have late check out as the hotel did not know how many guests would be staying that night. After asking the gentleman at the desk why I was not told this previously as I had been to the reception desk 3 times that morning he simply shrugged his shoulders and said that it was not possible as he didn’t know how many guests were arriving or at what time.

On the plus side the staff seem to be friendly but the more you tip them the more helpful that they will be and the more pleasant they are, they will carry the drinks for you to the table but do expect something from you for doing so, in the case of females the waiters do tend to be flirty with women who are alone or in groups, they can be abrupt and a bit slimly according to some of the ladies that were at the bar but you can hold a conversation with a number of staff if you want to but sometimes they will pretend their English is limited if you query anything they cant deal with or a complaint.

Cleaners – We tried to tip them every day but they were inconsistent to be honest, we went at least 2 days out of seven without towels as they had not returned them back to the room after they were taken for cleaning. They also do not take any notice of the do not disturb signs you place on the door as three times the cleaner came in with the do not disturb was on the door. However the laundry service in the hotel was excellent. We had to put clothes into the laundry and it was taken from us on Monday afternoon and returned to our room on Tuesday evening, we were told that we would have to collect the laundry 48 hours after it had been collected from reception.

Pools – The pools were ideal for us as they were near our room and I have read that you need to get up early to get sun beds but to be honest if you go to the main pain pool opposite the café then the lifeguard in attendance will set up a lounger and a cushion for you any chance he has, he worked all day to make everyone had a lounger and somewhere to sunbathe, I would also recommend that you take sun cream to the pool with you as it can get very hot, the temperature ranged from 30 to 36 degrees every day so if you are not used to the sun then make sure you cover up well or you will be burnt badly, there are a number of pools you can use, we used the pool opposite the café mostly as our choice but you can use the smaller pool near the indoor pool or the pool with the slides, the pool with the slides tends to be used by the children that are staying in the complex but you can go for a swim in them as well

I would recommend any of the pools to be honest as they were all nice and cool. There are a few wasps to look out for if you are frightened by them but there are not that many and if you have wasp repellent then you’ll be fine.

Food – The food in the hotel is average, there was a different choice of meat most nights but the range of food remained the same, the only stand out meat for me was the fresh veal steaks which were delicious, also please try the morning pastries as they were heaven to put it in one word. If you can avoid the lunch sitting as it is very average and the food is a lot poorer than breakfast and the evening meal.

As we were all inclusive we found that the selection of meals available in the cafes on the complex was pizza and chips or a sandwich, this was disappointing but not as much as the fact that even though we offered to pay for the meals, we were refused services as we were all inclusive guests and could only choose from the appropriate menu, I would suggest the café in the medina shopping centre just outside the complex as I had a fillet of beef which was cooked perfect and my girlfriend had a chicken skewer which was stunning and in total only paid 20 dinars inclusive of drinks.

We also tried another local café offsite after going shopping to a few shopping centres near by and had a fresh 12 inch pizza for only 6 dinars and was delightful and my girlfriend has chicken breast and chips which was only 5 dinars, so I would recommend that if you can get out an about from the hotel then go into a café as the food is better than in the hotel.

Activities – There’s a number of activities that you can off site, if you onto the beach then you will be stopped by a number of different people who will try and sell you a number of different things, we booked camel riding through an independent guy on the beach through oasis caravane which cost 25 dinars, I would recommend not to book with these as it seemed like a bit of a con to be honest, you did get to ride camels but we were put into an old van to get there and also when we arrived it costs a lot more than we were told as we had to pay for additional extras such as head wear, drinks and photographs.

We also went to something called the African dream booked through Thomas Cook, this was a traditional meal and also an Africa dance group, I think this evening would have been better if they allowed the meal first then allowed us to watch the African theme dancing and show afterwards as most people were concentrating on the food more then the performance which was a shame as it seemed to be a good performance, the meal consisted of a soup which a lot of people adored but it wasn’t to my taste to be honest but it did have couscous in it, the next dish was a vegetable dish with tuna which I didn’t like at all as I don’t like tuna at all but the comments from the other diners were that it was a bit of tuna with some fresh vegetables, the next dish was a small dish as it was a potato and spinach samosa which to be blunt was absolutely gorgeous it was light and tasty, this by far was the best dish of the meal. On the table of 8 that we were on this was every ones favourite dish, the main course of the meal was a chicken dish in a sauce with vegetables and rice, the chicken was tasty and the sauce had some nice flavour to it, the dessert was simple as it was strawberry ice cream with watermelon, I love ice cream but not keen on watermelon but my girlfriend loves watermelon and reported that it was fresh and tasty and a nice way to end the meal.

Also the evening entertainment was a bit limited to be honest as it wasn’t very well advertised it was on a board tucked away near a wall near some stairs, the evening entertainment consisted of a kids disco which was the same thing every night and then some bingo and then some sort of a show was varied every evening, this ranged from a man vs woman competition to a fire eater but to be honest the evening entertainment was average at best.

During the day whilst relaxing by the pool there was an animation team which worked hard to make everyone take part in various activities ranging from water polo to aqua aerobics, they were pleasant to deal with but were dragging people to take part in the activities and were constantly using whistles which was slightly irritating if you were trying to relax in the sun.

The animation team were very good in working with children so if you are taking children on your holiday then the animation team will try and keep them entertained for you. There are also kids clubs on site operated by both Thomas Cook and Thomson.

The Medina: This is a huge market in the centre of Sousse, if you like a haggle then this is the place for you because the store owners love it and you can pick up many bargains, if you do not like hassle then do not go to the medina because you are never left alone, also if you do go to the Medina please be aware that you are easily identifiable by the band on your wrist, this means that the shop owners and also workers can identify what hotel you are from.

The common theme seems to be that they pose as a waiter from your hotel and show you around the medina and take you to the shops that they work for or a family member runs or works for, so they make some money and gets some customers. The owners and workers are clever and are looking for tourists and will often try and talk a load of nonsense before approaching a sale.

My one tip for the medina would be to tell the owner a price and stick to it, if they cant sell it to you for that price then they will let you be but do not be arrogant or start shouting as then you are less likely to get it for your price.

The Medina is very enjoyable if you like shopping and like some banter and haggling but if you do not then you need to avoid the medina as you will find it uncomfortable as it is easy to get lost and you can feel crowded and get the impression that you are constantly being followed.

Taxis – If you are going to use a taxi then do not use any taxi that is waiting outside a hotel or a taxi driver who offers you a lift, the safest way is to flag down a taxi which is very easy to do as taxi drivers are always looking for fares. Before you get into the taxi make sure that you agree a price or insist the meter is switched on, the easiest way is to agree a price before hand. If you are going to the medina then do not pay more than 6 dinars maximum as that is all you should be paying. The drivers will try and pick up a fare anyway they can.

Overall – The hotel is nice but not spotlessly clean and it can be a busy hotel, it seems a bit unorganised and also if you are all inclusive do not expect top class service from the staff, also make sure to look after your belongings. If you can get out and get into Sousse and have a walk around then go for it but if you want a holiday where all you so in sunbathe by the side of a pool or beach with alcohol then this is perfect hotel is perfect for you!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

We have just returned from our holiday to this hotel (2 adults and a 17 year old) and would definately recommend this to anyone. Firstly the Hotel facilities are great, our room was large and kept clean at all times, the food was lovely, you could eat at any time of the day, always something available but please remember that this hotel is providing for a number of nationalities so food is varied but there is always something to suit. All of the staff are polite and friendly, and all they want is for the guests to be polite and friendly back, they never expect a tip, however, should you wish to tip them only 1 Dinar (50p) this is greatly received and they are ever so thankfull.
The location of the hotel is right in the middle between Sousse and Port El Kantoui, you can walk to either of these via the beach or the road, or try the Noddy Train or Tuk Tuk's which are really cheap.
We must mention the Animation team, namely ALEX and ASH who made my 17 year olds holiday the best time ever, they work so hard to give everyone a good time, they are always around chatting with the guests and smile from morning till night, by the end of the holiday we felt like we'd known them for ever.
Please do not take notice of any of the bad reviews !

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Just come back from this hotel & would recommend it to anyone, All staff very friendly & nothing is too much trouble.
Maids keep the rooms spotless & waiters are very friendly & do not hover waiting for a tip.
The pools are great but you do need to get down early for a sunbed, but if you do arrive late the lifeguards will search everywhere to find a bed for you if possible.
Didn't see any crawlies in the hotel at all but there are a few wasps round the pool but they don't hover round you, just fly past which pleased me as I am terrifeid of wasps.
I was nervous of going here after some of the reviews as we had already booked to go here in October with children & grandchildren & was worried that if the hotel was not up to standard I would not look forward to going back. Not a problem, I am looking forward to returning there for another great holiday

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Marhaba Royal Salem? Share your experiences!