“Good value for money” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Avenue du 14 Janvier, Sousse 4039, Tunisia   |
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Sousse
“Good value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My Husband and I stayed here for his birthday, we are a young couple, and I would estimate every guest was over 70 that's alot to do with the time we went. There was no other English guests most was German, and a few French.

The food was ok, not great and not bad, I recommend a place called 'The Legends' to eat, reasonable in price excellent to watch sports.

The Spa of the hotel is basic, prices are reasonable.

We paid extra for the sea view room, and it was worth every penny waking up to the sound of the waves and then seeing the beach was such a perfect start to every day on holiday.

The journey from Tunis airport to Sousse is two hours maximum, and cost 140 Dinar excluding tip.

Overall good holiday, good value for money.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Spent 7 days at hotel Had city room view Which meant did not have a good night sleep because of noise from cars outside Staff were not helpful just told me keep window closed.Reception staff were rude at times I didnt feel welcome at all. I visit Tunisia every year but will never stay in this hotel again The food was average not worth 4 star rating

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Only here for five days but worth the 8 hours travel. Will definitely return for longer time here as staff very friendly & welcoming, will do anything for you. Especially Achref in reception is very helpful & friendly making our stay very good!

• Stayed March 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We spent 10 days in this hotel and it was such good value for money. With a private beach, hotel pool, bar, activities, you're simply spoilt for choice, as you are with the food. Breakfast was always lovely. Lunch and dinner can get crowded so be sure to go down early!
The room views were amazing. As we had booked to separate rooms for 3 people, they upgraded us to a suite :)
Loved it here and will definitely be returning!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Peterborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Hotel was bad, did not like food and bad smell in toilet. And was not good drink as weel, bad water, we been very ill, it was the worse holiday ever.But location was very nice, and we met some fantastic people over there. But I would not come back there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We came here in November last year for 9 nights all inclusive. When I booked the hotel I specifically requested a sea view room with a balcolny, and this cost us £30 extra which was 100% worth the money considering the phenominal view we got of the beach and coastline, not to mention the peace and quiet of being on this side of the resort.

I have been to Tunisia many times, and was fully aware of what to expect from the resorts, compared to the "real Tunisia", however, my fiance had never been to this kind of country and was quite taken aback by the almost third world state of resident Tunisia compared to the luxury of the tourists resorts there. If you like a holiday where you can get up to lots of activities, without the supervision of resort staff, then do not choose to go somewhere like this. The resorts are out of this world, but when you wander out of them unaccompanied you can end up having quite a scay experience. Tunisia is best appreciated as a relaxing, resort based holiday destination. This has been my experience in both Hammamet and Sousse. If you are a young female tourist, particularly with fair hair like me, get used to being approached constantly by Tunisian men. On every occassion I have been to Tunisia I have been followed around by men, some of whom can be quite full on. One day walking through Sousse a man approached my fiance and I and started to speak to us, however, this quickly deteriorated into him asking my fiance if he could "spend some time" with me. When my fiance said no and started to pull me away from the man he started shouting threats to us and becoming agressive. Please know that not all Tunisian men are like this, but some can be so please be aware, particularly if you are travelling as a couple.

All Tunisian destinations are heavily reliant upon tourism, so you get a lot of shop vendors in the street, joking around and trying to get you into their shops. Take this with a pinch of salt and joke back. The culture is amazing and there are some gorgeouos buildings in Sousse. If you can wander around without being fussed over too much then do so, Tunisia really is a gorgeous country

The hotel itself is gorgeous. It is vast though with 600 rooms. We went out of season and it was quiet so we received amazing service from staff who couldn't do enough for us.The weather was amazing, so hot for November! The hotel rooms are spacious and clean with good maids service, and the restaurant is also great with lovely food and plenty of choices, for every meal. The bar staff in the hotel and at the poolside bar were great, they loved to joke around with you. The only 2 points for consideration of the hotel management I would say are 1. the ferral cats hanging around in the gardens outside the restaurant at meal times (we were told by other tourists that this was because the hotel chefs would feed them left overs from meal times) and 2. the night time entertainment out of season is non existent. We were happy to sit outside on the patio and enjoy our drinks until they closed the bar at 11pm, when we used to go back to our room and sit on the balcolny for a few drinks we used to buy for this purpose at a shop near the resort, but the resort nightclub was never open, and there was no music or anything at night.

I will continue to visit Tunisia because I love it there, and we are always treated like kings and queens when we visit. We particularly love Tunisian resorts, which make English ones look like shanti towns!

Room Tip: Always choose a room with a sea view, from floor 4 upwards
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
cwmbran
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I have just come back from a week at the Riadh Palms and have to say that overall, we had a really good time. The hotel itself is huge - 600 rooms (although you get to know the staff quickly and it's surprising how quickly they get to know you!). As it is still winter we weren't expecting hot sunshine. However, for the first 3 days it was bitterly cold. It did get warmer and on the last 2 days we could see why other people have commented that getting a sunbed is a problem. Even at this time of year, choice around the actual pool was limited.
The hotel is very clean and the rooms are a reasonable size. We changed from a city view (interesting but very noisy) to a sea view. However, as we were on the first floor we couldn't see much of the sea. I'd definitely recommend booking a sea view above level 2 for best views.
There was a good variety of food at lunch and dinner although as a vegetarian, my choices were more limited. There were always plenty of vegetables on offer together with soup and salad but not much in the way of actual veggie dishes. I certainly didn't go hungry though!
By far the worst part of our experience had to be the evening entertainment (or distinct lack of it!). The hotel has a beautiful nightclub but it wasn't open. Entertainment consisted of a guy on a keyboard playing music in keeping with the majority of the hotel's clientelle who were mostly elderly. I've never seen so many zimmer frames in one place! It appears that many pensioners stay there for weeks at a time in the winter.
There is a lovely kids' club, pool and play area so the hotel obviously caters for younger people and I'm sure it will be completely different in the Summer.
The beach is lovely - very big with soft white sand and blue sea. The walk up to Sousse town is nice but if you venture behind the hotels and tourist area, the town is really dirty and horrible. We visited the Medina but were very disappointed with it. We went to Morocco last year and visited Marakesh and Essouria and their Medina's were amazing - like stepping back into biblical times. However, Sousse was full of traders selling knock off Adidas track suits and fake designer clothing. Very westernised and quite disappointing.
Don't get conned by local people (especially on the beach) who claim to recognise you from the hotel. They tell you they work there then suck you in by being friendly before trying to get you to buy stuff from their friends' shops! Or they give you a bottle of coke or a necklace as a 'gift' and protest that they don't want any money but when you accept and thank them, they ask for money for their kids or to buy a coffee!
Overall we did enjoy our holiday and to be fair, for the price we paid we have nothing to grumble about! Five star it's not, but it certainly offers good value for money.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room. It's well worth paying a little extra. Bring your own mug for tea and c...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Riadh Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!