“Beautiful Hotel, Beautiful setting, almost there!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moevenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse

Save Saved
You added Moevenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse to your Saves list
Moevenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Boulevard du 14 Janvier | P.O. Box 114, Sousse 4039, Tunisia   |
Ranked #3 of 37 hotels in Sousse
EDINBURGH
“Beautiful Hotel, Beautiful setting, almost there!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I checked into this hotel in October 2012 for 7 nights and was well pleased. It is an imposing looking buliding, and without doubt the finest hotel in Sousse, Tunisia, being relativley new.

You enter via the huge automatic glass sliding doors and are immediately warmly greeted by the staff. Reception is vast and spotlessly clean with immaculately dressed staff waiting to greet you.

Check in is both friendly and efficient. While checking in you are given a welcoming drink and refresher towel - a nice touch I have to admit after a long days travel.

Within no time I was in my room, and it was super I have to say. Very spacious and a great sea and pool view. Tip - pay a ilttle extra for the sea view, rather than the town view as it is well worth it.

The room has all you could with for, nice bathroom with all the usual toilitries, lovely towels and bathrobes, great flatscreen tv, tea and coffee making facilities, fridge/mini bar.

My only niggle was when I arrived there was the usual tea/coffee, milk and sugar set up on a little tray under the television, this was enough to make 2 cups of tea or coffee. After that it ran out and although I had to ask for it to be replenished I was only given the tea/coffee but no milk, so I called down to have milk brought up. I was surprised to find that I was being charged for this jug of milk, given it was part of the room set up.

The areas of the hotel are rather impressive, but work need to be done regarding the staff training. Breakfast was probably the worst area of all in the hotel. I arrived around 8.30/9.00am and was greeted, if you call it that, by a rather abrupt girl who tried to show me to a table. The only problem was there was not a clean table in sight - despite the restaurant being almost empty.

Eventually, she sat me at a dirty table and left. No explanation given as the the breakfast set up so I just had to work it out for myself. I went first for the orange juice -well, plenty orange but not a glass in sight so I waited, and waited trying to attract attention. Eventually some glasses came -not a good start.

The buffet on offer was poor, nothing was replenished, and again the staff were not very helpful.

I tried to order coffee, trying to attract a waiter was not easy, eventually coffee came but I had no cup and saucer, no spoon, no milk etc.

When I eventually got what I wanted, and had paid for, my table was still left with all the dirty dishes from the previous occupant - not a good impression from a 5 star hotel.

The hotel is vast and has many eateries, and for dinner I tried the Villa - a vast complex of nicely furnished rooms with super service. The alabaster bar is very impressive, with soft live music - that evening there was a saxaphone player, and all in all it was super.

Dinner in the Villa was a joy, expensive for Sousse, but I loved it. Good choices form the menu and well prepared and presented by the chef. They have a good wine list, again, like UK prices, but what the heck - I was on holiday. I enjoyed it so much I went 3 times to the Villa for dinner.

The staff in the Villa could teach the main hotel staff a thing or two about service - they were super, very attentive, friendly and genuinely nice to their guests - as it should be, so well done to the team in the Villa.

All in all, I really liked the Movenpick in Sousse, and with a few tweaks to the service in the main hotel area and breakfast room you have the makings of a super product there.

I will be back in October this year and am really looking forward to being back in the Villa restaurant.

Room Tip: Pay extra on arrival for the sea view - it is well worth it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

857 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tunisia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Although expensive compared to other hotels in Sousse and Tunisia, Movenpick is the best hotel I stayed in from more than 30 hotels in Tunise.
Warm welcome, great service, comfortable clean rooms and most of all, delicious breakfast and dinner mostly seafood and fish.
I loved my stay there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Aesthetically hotel looks beautiful. Service very patchy and not what you would expect in a 5 star. Not easy to get around hotel if you have mobility problems as it is on many different levels some not accessible by lift. Baths are very deep and no hand rails if you have mobility problems.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This was the most dissappointing hotel i have ever stayed in my entire life :( I always write my reviews comparing to the actual hotels` prices, good to know before reading this rev. I have waited 6 months to write this, because i didnt want my my fresh bad feelings to stuck in the rev. We are talking a huge 5 stars AI hotel, so i wont write a lot about amenities activities and so on. I will separate it to 2 parts, good or fantastic and bad or unacceptable.

The hotel is huge, new and looks amazing. This hotel is one of the few which looks better than on the photos... High tech everywhere, a/c, room °keys°, tv etc... Lots of restaurants and cafe-s, european smokers will enjoy smoking again in a cafè next to an espresso! Free wifi available in public areas with quality broadband. I was able to connect even on the closer side of the pool. The beverages and coffee quality was really good in the hotel. The cleanliness of the hotel and thee rooms was extreme, during our visit i couldnt find a patch elsewhere, beleive me, from the 3rd day, i was searchinfg for that everywhere, buth i coiuldnt find neither in my bathrooms mirror :) congrats for that! Enormous public terrace, huge pools, great beach, free sunbeds etc.
Ahh...where to begin...on the first day, we have arrived very early, i guess 7 in the mourning, very exhausted, 5 adults and a six yr. old child. Tried to check in, they have rejected to allow and said that if we pay a plus 150€\room, we can get now them with seaview. I asked them to show the room and the view, it was horrible /check photos/, so we havent payed 450 € plus (tip?). So we were sitting in the lobby, in the cafe, on the terrace. I must confess, this was the first and hopefully last time i have ever slept in the lobby of a premium 5 stars hotel. We have claimed our rooms at 12.30 after a lot of negotiation, two normal, one with seaview, no extra fee. The view was detailed above, horrible. You saw the neighbour plot, which is used for growing palm trees, with a foil tent on it, and with a very harming °zzzzzzzzzzzz° sound. Dont know what was that maybe a chainsaw.
On the whole, if you dont tip for the staff, you are just barely visible. I choose AI because for e.g. i didn`t want to deal with money all day, coins and cash, but had to. Around the pool the space was slight and wasnt enough beds, so it was an every day war to get and defend yours. If you hav tipped to the pool guy, he brought you a bed with umbrella. I saw many times, and experienced how does it work. If you leave your sunbeds undefended, you will lose it, the pool guy takes your tshirt,bag, flipflop etc, takes it to the ground and takes your beds.nunbeleivable! I saw a woman who couldnt find her belongings because the pool guy touched it and took it to the office and unfortunately left there... This situation means you cant leave your beds, so you cant drink a coffe, swim, use restroom etc. together because you must leave a guard there. It has poisoned our day next to the pool :S They always said they reclaimed because it was more than 30 mins without laying on. Actually the hotel staff lies a lot. The reception was unable to change currencies many times, always said come back in an hour. We had 3 rooms, and once i was reaching mine with my girlfriend, we found her sisters room open, staff nowhere. We walked in the room, no one. Shut the door, and went to the reception to complain, after 20 minutes of phone conversation the guest connections attendant said it was opened, but was under supervision of a staff member. I said you are lieing again on my face, i walked in the room no one asked if its mine or not, and stood up, she is unable to solve my problem again.
The pool bar was always closed, made 3 complains about it, always answered the waiter is having lunch... ( what???)
The main restaurant was unacceptable at a whole. Huge space, but not enough staff. The neighbour tables was always scruffy and unserviced, needed to hunt for forks, it was a challenge to order some drinks. The food was monotonic with many repeats. No taste, no smell, nothing, really. The catering was too small nedd to stand in a que for 15mins/dining. They used anise on the pizza sauce, not oregano.. Yukk!

It was like when the boss in on a holiday or something and the staff takes the control... Didnt enjoyed the stay :( Expected much more from a Swiss hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Awesome frontage , great lobby , nice pool areas , some heated , clean sandy beach .
Rooms always kept clean , nice bathroom , in fact everywhere clean and tidy .
Free safe , free Wi-Fi in lobby , as usuall branded drinks expensive (Vodka £9 + )
Breakfast slightly lacking (bacon , sausage ) just better than continental, restaurants for dinner very nice , was only half board had to argue off fixed menu .
Service always Good .Tipping helps !
Safe to walk out side . Barter with taxi's . Nice walk along front to Medina .
Legends bar, nice .
Passport exit can be a problem , not sure worth CIP .
Trip out on Camel ride was a nice few hours

Room Tip: pool side and higher are quieter
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Swiss luxury hotel at it's best, proud to be Swiss - amazing interior designed hotel - beautiful setting - beautiful vast beach - in-house Tapas restaurant was a bit disappointing - Japanese restaurant was not bad - Christmas Gala dinner was lovely, shame about the Christmas log, too much food - very nice and helpful staff - great food

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room, worth to pay a little more
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a really nice time in this hotel with nice rooms and good food and exelent service from the staff. We used the Italian restaurant and the tapas for a change and enjoyed them all.
What really made this trip for us was the well staffed gym and classes which were varied and run so well by Karima and Sabra they made us feel so welcome and gave us lots of encouragement.
Pay the extra to avoid the few road side rooms to avoid the street noise. we found this hotel excellent value for money a real 5 star treat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Moevenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse? Share your experiences!