I checked into this hotel in October 2012 for 7 nights and was well pleased. It is an imposing looking buliding, and without doubt the finest hotel in Sousse, Tunisia, being relativley new.
You enter via the huge automatic glass sliding doors and are immediately warmly greeted by the staff. Reception is vast and spotlessly clean with immaculately dressed staff waiting to greet you.
Check in is both friendly and efficient. While checking in you are given a welcoming drink and refresher towel - a nice touch I have to admit after a long days travel.
Within no time I was in my room, and it was super I have to say. Very spacious and a great sea and pool view. Tip - pay a ilttle extra for the sea view, rather than the town view as it is well worth it.
The room has all you could with for, nice bathroom with all the usual toilitries, lovely towels and bathrobes, great flatscreen tv, tea and coffee making facilities, fridge/mini bar.
My only niggle was when I arrived there was the usual tea/coffee, milk and sugar set up on a little tray under the television, this was enough to make 2 cups of tea or coffee. After that it ran out and although I had to ask for it to be replenished I was only given the tea/coffee but no milk, so I called down to have milk brought up. I was surprised to find that I was being charged for this jug of milk, given it was part of the room set up.
The areas of the hotel are rather impressive, but work need to be done regarding the staff training. Breakfast was probably the worst area of all in the hotel. I arrived around 8.30/9.00am and was greeted, if you call it that, by a rather abrupt girl who tried to show me to a table. The only problem was there was not a clean table in sight - despite the restaurant being almost empty.
Eventually, she sat me at a dirty table and left. No explanation given as the the breakfast set up so I just had to work it out for myself. I went first for the orange juice -well, plenty orange but not a glass in sight so I waited, and waited trying to attract attention. Eventually some glasses came -not a good start.
The buffet on offer was poor, nothing was replenished, and again the staff were not very helpful.
I tried to order coffee, trying to attract a waiter was not easy, eventually coffee came but I had no cup and saucer, no spoon, no milk etc.
When I eventually got what I wanted, and had paid for, my table was still left with all the dirty dishes from the previous occupant - not a good impression from a 5 star hotel.
The hotel is vast and has many eateries, and for dinner I tried the Villa - a vast complex of nicely furnished rooms with super service. The alabaster bar is very impressive, with soft live music - that evening there was a saxaphone player, and all in all it was super.
Dinner in the Villa was a joy, expensive for Sousse, but I loved it. Good choices form the menu and well prepared and presented by the chef. They have a good wine list, again, like UK prices, but what the heck - I was on holiday. I enjoyed it so much I went 3 times to the Villa for dinner.
The staff in the Villa could teach the main hotel staff a thing or two about service - they were super, very attentive, friendly and genuinely nice to their guests - as it should be, so well done to the team in the Villa.
All in all, I really liked the Movenpick in Sousse, and with a few tweaks to the service in the main hotel area and breakfast room you have the makings of a super product there.
I will be back in October this year and am really looking forward to being back in the Villa restaurant.
- Also Known As:
- Moevenpick Resort And Marine Spa Sousse
- Moevenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse Hotel
- Moevenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse Hotel Sousse
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mövenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse is located at the entertainment heart of Sousse, and just minutes away from the city centre. Opened in April 2010, this luxury resort is the first International chain resort in the city of Sousse. LocationThe Mövenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse is located on a prime 300-metre beachfront location in the heart of the city, only 20 km away from Habib Bourguiba Monastir Airport and 135 km from downtown Tunis. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Tingo, Venere, Otel and Hotels.com so you can book your Moevenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.