“October Late Holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Scheherazade Hotel Sousse

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sousse
Scheherazade Hotel Sousse
Save Saved
You added Scheherazade Hotel Sousse to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bloulevard du 14 Janvier, Sousse 4039, Tunisia   |
Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Sousse
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“October Late Holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

We have just returned from a one week late break to soak up the sunshine before winter sets in.
We did read the reviews before we booked and there were very mixed opinions of the hotel, so we kept an open mind. On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by the staff and given the usual cold drink and flannels, we filled in the normal forms and were shown where our room was and within minutes our cases were delivered. Although the room was small and the shower was over the bath everything was clean and adequate after all you don't go on holiday to spend the week in your room! Did feel it a bit strange having to pay for a safe as with other Thompson holidays we have used the safe and they have been included in the price. I agree with another comment made about the dress for dinner it is a bit disappointing when you make the effort to look nice for the evening meal and you are surrounded by football shirts hats and plastic flip flops, we didn't see anyone get sent to change. As for the food, I am really fussy but over the week there was always something for me to eat, and i did try some of the dishes and found that they were not all that spicy/hot. My husband loves to try different foods and was in his element and most evenings couldn't decide what to have because it was all good. Breakfast you could have more or less anything you wanted, from fried eggs cooked while you waited, there were all the normal cereals, fruit and continental breakfasts on offer. Lunch again so much choice. The bread was always so fresh and a choice of brown or white, so no need to go hungry! What can youy say about the desserts, it was a job not to load up the plate there were so many lovely puddings and of course always ice-cream and fresh fruit. I would suggest the hotel sticks to the if you want your towels changed put them on the floor and if you are happy to use another day then hang them up. For the whole week we had clean towels every day even though we hung them up and were happy to use again. The hotel did seem to have a problem keeping up with the towels, they would be taken in the morning and sometimes not returned clean until late afternoon, but this is a minor thing and didn't spoil the holiday. The pool area had plenty of sunbeds and loungers but if you wanted head cushions i think you either had to tip well or get up extremely early, but hey ho that's life! The Thompson Reps were extremely friendly and always stopped to have a chat and ask how everything was, they didn't get in your face but were there if you needed them. As for Hedi what a character, we didn't see much of him but again he was always smiling and yes he was maybe over the top sometimes but he was always very funny.
The reception staff, bar staff, waiters, beach waiters cleaners and gardners were always willing to help. We kept to the same side of the restaurant and the waiters soon got to know what we wanted to drink and kept our glasses full, lunchtime and evening meal. We will definately be going back to the hotel in the futre. Well done to all the staff at the hotel.

Room Tip: i think all the rooms are sea facing. Not sure the swim up rooms are worth the extra money as you d...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Hungarian first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I returned from this hotel last night, having spent 14 fantastic nights with the most fabulous staff we have had the pleasure of meeting.

We had quite high expectations having read the reviews on here and we were definitely NOT disappointed.

The hotel was exactly as described. The rooms are definitely adequate, at the end of the day I don't understand why people are making negative comments about the size of the rooms ours was plenty big enough and the bathroom was a good size too, although there is no real bath, its more a very deep shower tray, but works just fine.

The food..... Wow.... Chef and his amazing team work wonders on a daily basis. Absolutely love the request to dress formally for your evening meal, makes things even more special. At some stages we heard other guests complain they couldn't find anything that they liked to eat.... Really left me in shock.... The variety is astronomical and the team go out of their way to ensure that you have what you need. Clearly the people who have something negative to say didn't speak up while they were there.....

The evening entertainment was fine too... Something different each night of the week, if you are there for more than 7 days the entertainment is repeated so don't be surprised.

The daytime entertainment, well what can I say... Hedi is the Guest Relations Manager and along with that role he has stepped up to the plate and is also covering the activities role. Hedi is such a genuine individual who has you and your enjoyment as his main priority... A truly dedicated man who gives everything of himself to this hotel and its guests (sadly it seems that you cant please everyone all of the time, as indicated by some truly disgusting personal comments that have been made on this forum, someone's sexuality has no bearing on their ability to do the job!). Hedi is awesome and if he were to leave this hotel the number of people who 'speak with their feet' and return on more than one occasion would no doubt fall quite dramatically. To those who feel it is acceptable to make derogatory remarks about anyone on forums such as this, remember, Trolls get 2 years in jail now!

I also want to say that tipping is acceptable but not expected! My husband and I chose to tip certain people (our housekeeper especially), at the end of the first week and everyone else and her again on our last day.

Everyone from the grounds staff, the security staff (which is 24/7), Ltiaef (the lovely pool man, Oussama (the most friendly Life Guard), Wajid (smiley waiter) and everyone else (sorry I cant name them all... ~They make the hotel all that it is...

Suffice to say, we are going to be booking to go back again next year...

Highly recommended to everyone.

Wolverhampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We have just come back from a truly wonderful two weeks holiday. Whist I do not subscribe to the view that you only get what you pay for, some of your recent reviewers either need to 'get a life' or pay far more for the holiday they want. From the moment we arrived (two couples) late into the evening we were met with extremely friendly staff who, after a very welcome hot meal which was quite unexpected given it was11.30 pm, completed the check-in very quickly and efficiently.
Our room was more than adequate and storage space was excellent - so much has been said about the lack of bathroom tiles but does it really matter when the room was always cleaned to a very high standard.
The quality and variety of the food was very good and very often you could be spoilt for choice -you needed two weeks to give justice to all the different meals on offer! Even a really fussy eater would be able to find something to their taste
We chose to use the beach rather than the pool and contrary to some reviews it was clean and the staff were more than ready to help with the beds and provide the welcome supply of drinks throughout the day. A walk along the beach in either direction provided proof that this hotel did take pride in keeping the beach clean and tidy
We personally did not select this hotel for its evening entertainment value and whilst some of the acts left a little to be desired, no one was forcing us to stay and watch - the dancers and the sand artist were excellent.
Throughout the two weeks the staff were extremely friendly, co-operative and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Yes, we did tip but not all the time and we did not see any evidence of the staff waiting around to receive one.
The Thomson reps, Tami and Kirk, always greeted you with a smile and on the one occasion we needed them to sort out a problem it was dealt with immediately. Hedi is a tremendous advert for the hotel - he always has a smile on his face, always prepared to go out of his way to help and his enthusiasm for his job is beyond question.
The four of us would have no hesitation in returning to this hotel and hope to do so next year

Room Tip: You do hear all the music if you have a room near the courtyard and higher rooms on the south side...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We were greeted with a fresh towels, refreshing fruit drinks and chocolates on a arrival from the airport. They wanted us to go straight for something to eat but as we had duty free, we decided that we wanted to drop our things in the room before, as we weren't comfortable leaving it, even though it was in safe hands, they didn't have a problem with this and couldn't help enough.

The room was fantastic on arrival with rose leaves speckled on the bed with a towel made in to a love heart in the middle and this standard stayed the whole stay of our holiday.

The staff were really easy to get along with, I've made good friends with a certain few and hope to stay in touch with them.

Hedi, where do I start? He was absolutely fantastic, couldn't help enough, I have an allergy to cheese and when to see Hedi about it, he reassured me that he would do everything in his power to help, by setting up for me and my girlfriend to meet up with the restaurant manager, the head chef and head pastry chef every night and if there wasn't anything that suited me they would make me something different of my choice, this took me by surprise and exceeded my expectations. Hedi is a lovely bloke and really friendly, always spoke and always came with a great, happy attitude, with his great catch phrase "don't be lazy, be crazy". No matter what time of the day or night that we saw him, he always had a huge smile from ear to ear. Can't wait to see you next year Hedi.

The entertainment was good most nights, the beach party/fire was fantastic and also the African acrobatics.

Overall view exceeded my expectations, rooms were great, food was better that expected, and last but certainly not least the staff were great, couldn't help enough.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Just arrived back after a wonderful holiday the hotel was lovely, room a little on small size but adequate. The staff could not do enough for you and the food was excellent especially the Indian a la carte and the beach bar lunches were fantastic do try the Lebanese Chicken it is delicious.

The only bad thing for us was using the VIP lounge at Enfidah Airport on our return journey. It was packed to capacity and we had to wait for a seat, coffee pot remained empty then when it was refilled there were no cups, this was because all the tables were full of dirty crockery it was a complete waste of £56.00. Don't bother it is definitely not worth it.

Stayed October 2014
Tiverton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We had really high hopes for this hotel after reading reviews on here but were really disappointed and came home feeling that we needed another another holiday to relax and recover. How Thomson can rate this hotel 4* is a mystery to me. There have been lots of comments on here about the beds and the bathrooms and i have to agree with them all. The bathrooms in particular let the hotel down. I don't mean the lack of finish as I can see past that but the baths are very small and can't be used as a bath and there is no space.

The food is varied and some of it was yummy, whereas some was either not cooked properly or cold. Having a dress code is totally pointless at this hotel. During the welcome meeting you are reminded not to wear shorts, flipflops, vest tops and sports tops to dinner. You are also told that you will be asked to go and change if you do and there are plenty of signs displayed also saying this, However, this is ignored by far too many people wearing shorts, hot pants, vest tops and football shirts to dinner. During my week stay no one was asked to go and change. Again, this is not what I would expect from a 4* hotel.

My experience of the staff (and this is what I found to happen although many people on here clearly didn't have this happen to them) was that they would either ignore you or disturb you. Our maid for example would arrive at 8am to clean our room. We are not early risers so did not appreciate this. To prevent this from happening again we put the do not disturb sign on our door. However, the next day she still knocked to ask for our towels and said she would come back later to clean. I pointed to the sign and she just said I only want the towels. I tried explaining to her that we didn't want to be disturbed but she didn't understand. Towards the end of the week our sign also went missing and by then we had given up any hope of some lazy holiday mornings. Staff around the beach and pool provided a good level of service, towels (although on our first day there were none until 10am), cushions and drinks were all provided. However, staff in the restaurant at lunch and dinner I found to be very rude. We were ignored most evenings and struggled to get drinks. One evening we ordered another drink the same time as another table, their drinks arrived and then our waiter started to clear tables. After 10 minutes he came over with over only 1 drink, when asking for the 2nd he said the restaurant was now closed and we would have to go to the bar. Now if he had said this when we ordered that would have been ok but to take our order, not get it and then say no is not acceptable. We then got up to leave and he continued to be rude and then said if we really wanted he would try and get us one. We didn't bother and went back to our room instead.

Hedi seems to be a controversial topic on here and I think his personality really is down to personal taste. There seem to be reviews posted on here just to defend him, which I find interesting! For me, I found him to be annoying and he reminded me of King Julian from the film Madagascar, always demanding applause. We soon learnt to avoid the pool if you didn't want to be disturbed by him or made to join in the activities. However, even on the beach he felt the need to shout out you Merry Christmas and disturb the peace. On one day he, along with some staff, made a big show of cleaning the beach. This was a total publicity stunt which lasted 5 minutes tops and resulted in a photo of them with their black bags to which he demanded applause, applause. On our last day when we were trying to relax staff went round throwing petals over everyone, which wasn't appreciated.

I also have to say that the cocktails and bars were a total disappointment. I can understand why some people love this hotel and I'm just sad we didn't. It really didn't live up to our expectations and we'll be going back to staying in Sensatori hotels instead as although the cost is more you actually get the service, comfort and relaxation that we are looking for.

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My partner and I have recently returned from a 10 day holiday here, and we honestly didn't want to come home.
The staff here are so friendly. Whether they were a waiter, a cleaner, a life guard or a groundsman, each and every one smiled and said hello. They couldn't do enough for us. The food was excellent. Everyday for lunch and dinner there was something different. Plenty of choice for everyone. It only took 3 days and the waiters had our drinks ready for us at our table :)
The beach was always so clean and the staff from the beach bar were regularly coming around asking if you wanted anything. We were never left feeling like they didn't care. The one member of staff that really made our holiday was Hedi. This man can not do enough for each and every guest. He always had a smile on his face and treats you like a friend. Hedi went out of his way to drive me to a pharmacy when I needed something and even came in with me to make sure I got what I needed. This man is truly wonderful and honestly made our holiday. We will definitely be returning. Thank you to you all

• Stayed September 2014

Been to Scheherazade Hotel Sousse? Share your experiences!