“Very nice accommodation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in Alexandria
Egypt
“Very nice accommodation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

it's a nice hotel and there are many Nationalities there and there is helpful, nice. and smiling staff Especially some one called Amer and another one called Nermin i will go there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Arabic first
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Worst night ever..this is terrible place..I had few pictures taken for cockroaches inside the room, dark scary corridors, I felt unsafe there and moved early morning , never try this even for Free,
I try to find the photos to show in here.

Room Tip: never stay there even for free
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Location is very nice near to everywhere, But rooms are very small and need to be renovated

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

The main problem was the management. The facility has issues but is not bad, per se. They claim to be a four star hotel, but once you're out of the lobby it smells like a Motel 6 and is only marginally nicer. For $130 a night you can do better. And you should.

After two phone calls to check the price, stating clearly that my wife and I had a nine- and a seven-year-old, an employee named Hesham accepted my reservation for three "double rooms" and promised additional beds for two children per room. (A 4th couple with two young children added a separate reservation.) The price he quoted me was $130 -- not a lot of money, but certainly more than this place was worth.

When we arrived, they gave us a tiny room with two single beds pushed together - no additional beds - and told me that was what we had reserved. The room was so small that one spare bed would not fit, much less two. At first, Hesham himself actually denied that I had ever mentioned having children, but my wife had been right beside me when I made both phone calls.

Then they offered to move us to room that would accommodate one roll-away bed -- for which they tried to charge us an additional 60LE. We said we should not be asked to pay for the beds, and a very nice woman named Nermin -- the Customer Relations person and perhaps the only understanding and communicative person with whom we dealt -- agreed not to charge us. Satisfied that things had been cleared up, our group went to lunch while they transferred our luggage to the new rooms.

It turned out things were not cleared up, and Nermin's offer was a moot point anyway, because they only had one roll-away bed in the whole hotel, and there were four families with children in our group. They offered cribs for my seven- and nine-ًyear-old. CRIBS, as if that would work. We rationally explained that cribs were not an option.

They would not put us in rooms with two double beds, saying the rooms were "blocked off" or reserved for guests who would be coming later -- which was a complete falsehood. A total of 32 rooms were booked out of over 100 according to the register the following morning.

The very unpleasant assistant manager, Amr Shebl (who looked to be about 22 but acted as if he were 12) and Hesham (the man with whom I made the reservations who started the mess) were particularly petulant and refused to acknowledge their error, even in the face of Nermin's, acknowledgment of Hesham's mistake and her admission that she had subsequently promised us beds which the hotel ultimately could not deliver. The scene grew increasingly uncomfortable as the two men became unprofessional and personally insulting.

[Full disclosure: At this point I was equally unpleasant. With no option for a refund, not enough beds for the four of us, and not being willing to rectify the situation even though the hotel was at least two-thirds empty, I lost my cool.]

We asked for our money back and told them we would find different place to stay, however, they would not refund our money since we didn't leave immediately after seeing the room for the first time. (We should never have listened when they said they would fix things, apparently.) Instead, they offered a 50% refund if we left within the hour, but our group agreed on principle not to pay $65 each for nothing.

I was never allowed to speak to the manager, though Plaza personnel ostensibly relayed my requests to him on two separate occasions - the first time I was asked to wait, and I waited for him to no avail; the second time they said he didn't speak English. I suggested they could translate, but he never came to speak to me. I find it funny (in a pathetic way) to see that he wrote back on this site to a previous reviewer, in English.

The owner was equally unavailable and/or unconcerned.

That night, my son slept on a "bed" of two armchairs and a desk chair, as the hotel remained 2/3 empty all night long.

I have never experienced such a shameful display in any service industry establishment as I did from the management of the Plaza Hotel of Alexandria that night.

Other points to note about our one-night stay at the Plaza Hotel:

1. The elevator got stuck between floors, and after several very uncomfortable minutes, they had to completely shut off the power to the elevator, lights and all, to get it going again.
2. The traffic noise coming through the closed balcony door was horrendous.
3. The toilet wouldn't flush - twice - and needed to be fixed.
4. One couple in our party complained of cockroaches in their room.
5. Nermin kindly sent us two plastic toys for my Kids, two Plaza hotel calendars, a free bottle of water and four pieces of fruit by way of apology -- a nice gesture that fell far short of making the stay anywhere near pleasant. She must stay quite busy trying to placate unsatisfied customers.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

The hotel, athough awarded 4 stars by the Ministry of Tourism in Egypt, does not even deserve 3 stars! The bed sheets and blankets had stains on them, there were traces of HAIR on the bed and pillow!!! The bathroom was small with poor amenities.

Although the hotel staff were helpful and tried to persuade us to stay by upgrading us to the best room they had in the hotel...unfortunately, the rooms only got bigger...but no better!! After a couple of hours of struggling to adjust, we checked out that very evening and checked ourselves into Sheraton Alexandria which was heaven compared to this hell-hole!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

just few words to discribe the trial of getting in
i went there with my wife for a day use
they asked for the IDs and the proof of marige
i had the IDs and a temporary proof of marige until the permenet one releaed
they refused to let us in and they day was lost
don't go there until you have kids to prove that you are married to the woman with you :D
ah , its not clean at all but the location is great

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Karim-Kattara, Front Office Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Dear Mr. Mazen,

Firstly, I would like to appologize for the regretful incident which occured in our hotel. The mere fact that you left dissatisfied means we failed at our mission.

My late response was due several circumstances which occured recently. However, I would like to inform you that having a marriage certificate is required by the police authorities not by the hotel management. A hotel may be fined significant amounts if it does not comply with these procedures.

I'm also shocked you have labelled our hotel poor on the cleanliness, room and sleep quality categories, especially since you haven't checked in. I invite you to try a stay in one of our rooms and I'm confident you would change your mind then.

Thank you for your comment and I hope to see you soon at your hotel.
genova
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

very kind service always concerned to make relaxing our staying.
room was cleaned and had a suggestive view of the sea from the window.
food was good especially fish dishes.
only thing i missed was italian aspresso coffee but for few days i can resist!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!