We have stayed here a couple of times over the years when in the area. It’s not an hotel I would seek out, but if you are looking for somewhere by the sea not too far from Tetouan you don’t have many choices, and this is not a bad one.
But here is the bad:
• It’s starting to get a little tired – mould discolouring the shower grout, redorating leaving paint splatters over the taps etc. We needed our room cards reprogrammed twice in three nights. It’s a shame as the original designers of the rooms went to a lot of trouble with the detail, even if, like me, you are a bit sniffy about the pastiche of Moroccan touches and Western bling.
• If you go out of season, as we have, it’s very quiet. The spaces are so big that a place like this feels a bit desolate when it not bustling.
• The cooking is carried out well enough, but the menus are uninspired and the flavours unexceptional.
• If you pay the rack rate it will make you wince. Our room rack rate was GBP300 a night.
But it’s not all bad by any means. The good:
• We booked three nights through Expedia in October and paid GBP110 a night with continental breakfast and local taxes. For a large room, comfortable king sized bed, marbled bathroom (shower and bath) separate loo, separate seating area and good balcony with sea views that is really very good value.
• The staff were universally friendly and attentive. If you don’t speak Moroccan then French is your best bet in this corner, but you can get by with English too.
• There is good free wifi – though it did not extend to the rooms, just the ground floor
• There is a lovely pool and a good outside dining and breakfast area. (Breakfast itself is pretty standard buffet stuff, respectable but unexceptional). There is also an indoor heated pool though we did not try it (an entire spa in fact).
So if you don’t mind the mausoleum feel I’d recommend it out of season. In season it probably comes alive – though whether the service keeps up with the pressure may be another matter and you'd doubtless pay more. The Moroccan season seems to be very short; running these kind of places can’t be easy, but my sense is that they do try to make your stay a good one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Marina Smir is a luxury hotel with lovely views of a beautiful white sandy beach next to the port of Marina Smir. Its Andalusian/Morisco architecture surrounded by beautiful gardens invites you to enjoy pleasant relaxation in an absolutely peaceful environment just 15 kilometres from Ceuta.Discover the sea water therapy centre, where the beneficial properties of water will make you feel a completely new person. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Marina Smir Thalasso & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Marina Smir Thalasso Hotel Tetouan
- Barcelo Marina Smir Thalasso And Spa