“98% a 4*Superior hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Brasov
Bucharest, Romania
“98% a 4*Superior hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I live in Romania and I travel a lot inside my country. Brasov is a special place to spend a few days for cultural, on the mountain, or historical sightseeing activities.
Although the city benefits from superb architecture, exciting activities and friendly people – one should be aware of the quality of some of the high class hotels in the centre of the city. Most of them charge very high prices for low quality (mainly old and dusty rooms).

Having this experience I set out to find a nice place to stay, more on the high class side. I found Kronwell hotel with a special city break offer.
I thoroughly read their website and spent quite a few minutes on the phone with the reservations agent. They were extremely polite even when I kept asking a lot of details. The reservation process was efficient and simple.

The offer included a two nights stay + breakfast (continental) + full access to the spa. Please note that during my stay the massage, pool and fitness were not yet available and they explained this to me. I had access to the Finnish Sauna, Thalasso Salt cabin, Emotional shower, Steam-bath, Relaxing Area and Frigidarium. My choice to come stay at them was in full awareness of the situation regarding the spa.

As these are usually very important factors – here are the negative parts about my stay at this hotel:
1. Upon arrival there were no personnel to welcome us at the entrance and take our luggage from the car or park the car. When we got inside, the personnel greeted us and relieved us of our luggage. Still, we expected the entrance welcome for this type of hotel.
2. Regarding cleaning – it was done very good, but we noticed one thing: I prepared a tea for myself and dropped the tea bag on the bathroom floor by accident, being a fruit tea there was a red stain. After cleaning the stain was still there, this makes me believe that the bathroom floor was not washed. Besides this – the room was spotless, the bed was arranged, the drinking glasses cleaned, the dust (if any) removed, everything put in order like on the first day.
This is all I can say on the negative side. As you can see there is not much – for me.

I enjoyed an extremely pleasant stay and even requested an extra night – which they gave me at the same price of the city break special!

The room is very modern and luxurious. The bed is of very good quality – I enjoyed a good night’s sleep on the Serta mattress. The room is really sound-proof. Although the hotel was busy and there were a lot of people staying on the same level with me I did not hear any noise. The room had modern lighting solutions – all controlled via a nice dimmer-switch available on each side of the bed and at the entrance. Also the TV was a smart generation one with two remotes – a classic one and a keyboard one which I used to surf the internet via the TV. Also you got a connectors panel where you could connect your camera/phone/laptop/etc. to the TV.
They offer a very nice shower – it is surrounded by glass panels which let you take a shower while watching TV or enjoying the sunlight. Of course the toilet is in a separate, intimate room. For those who don’t like this idea – the aquarium type shower can be hid using the movable fancy wooden panels which hide the bathroom completely and you don’t even know about the glass shower.

I used the spa extensively after each day and that really made a difference in my stay. I would travel all day long, driving and hiking or sightseeing and get really tired by evening. They serve complimentary tea and fresh water in the relaxation room, which is a nice plus.

The room-service was perfect and quick and opened to adjust to my taste – when requested.
The restaurant was very nice and the waiters extremely polite and helpful. Still, the menu could use a little more variety.
The front desk personnel would respond to any request I might have had, even at early or late hours (like asking for a connector cable at 23.00).

The parking was free, with the possibility to go underground in a well-lit and ventilated space.

Please be aware that the hotel is not in the city centre, but near the train station. To the city centre by car – 10 minutes, by taxi – 10 minutes (not very expensive probably max. 10-15 RON, always ask for a receipt!!!), by bus – 20-25 minutes (ticket for 2-3 RON). It’s not that far away and you don’t get quality like this in the central hotels.

I had a pleasant stay and am waiting for their offer for New Year’s party 2013.

One last thing - when I stayed there, the tea in the room was not for free. They should offer complimentary tea to prepare at least one cup.

Room Tip: ask for a room on higher levels as the view is better (altough you still see the railway or appartme...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Hebrew first
London,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Chosen because of we arrived into Brasov by train, and the hotel is around 300 metres from the station, so even with more luggage than we should have, the walk was very easy.

We were in Brasov for a wedding, and a bit of sightseeing either side of the main event, so the location was less important for us as it might have been for a pure tourist visit. However, the 7-8 ley taxi fare (that's £0.75 per head) into the Centru was never going to break the bank, and it did mean a good night's sleep was guaranteed, as well as some great restaurant recommendations from the cabbies.

The hotel reception area, and the room we stayed in were both very, very modern. In fact we found the room was frighteningly so. The hotel porter must have spent 10 minutes explaining all the gadgets in the room, none of which we made use of, including the thermostat to change the underfloor heating in the toilet.

The bed was huge, and extremely comfortable, with massive and wonderful pillows. I am so envious of that bed and its crisp super white linen.

However, we found the lights in the room would simply turn off unbidden by either of us, and we could never make the feature reading lamp work, not once.

In fact the lighting was our biggest problem. There was nowhere in the room adequately lit to apply make up, the shaving mirror is just not the thing for that particular job. The important lights were nearly always in the wrong place. For instance the solitary roof mounted light in the toilet was behind any man standing to use it leaving a very dark patch where the bowl was presumed to be.

The shower was glass on three sides, which for a single occupant and some more liberated couples would be fine, but otherwise the sliding panels were always going to be moved into place. And basic physics should have told the person laying the wet room style shower floor that there should be a gentle slope towards, not away from, the drain. It is very unpleasant to follow someone into a shower, and to step into what is by then a puddle of cold water.

Clearly designed by and for a man. For a business man staying away from home on his own, it would be great, but I would not recommend it for anyone else.The phrase that kept coming up was "Over engineered". As an example, see the cupboard door hiding the computer connections to the Smart TV. In our experience, the gadgets would be much less likely to impress a business woman.

It was at least two days before we got the hang of instructing the lift to take us where we wanted, and we met another guest who also seemed to find the "validation" process confusing. On the other hand the opening of the room with the swipe credit card style key never failed.

The reception staff were excellent, and always helpful. Their recommendation of Amy from Bratax as a driver/guide was fabulous, and worth every one of her not very many pennies. She is a great driver,and was full of good ideas about where to go and how long was necessary. She was a star performer on a break of many great service providers, we cannot commend her too highly.

The room was always superbly cleaned.

Breakfast was perfectly acceptable, if not very exciting. But who needs excitement with your first coffee?. Which of course, brings me on to the hot drinks in the room. I can confirm we were not charged for the one tea we had (we couldn't resist boiling the only kettle I have ever seen that was "blinged up"). But, to cater for the modern businessman, you need to offer instant coffee sachets and milk cartons.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The building, the rooms, the spa, are world class. The Front Desk staff are amazing, thank you Vanessa immensely, they'll get anything done for you, first class service is an understatement. The rooms are better than Aria in Vegas, just unbelievable. The spa is spectacular, larger than an other and in perfect cleanliness. This is nicest hotel we've stayed in, and we are regular Vegas, Canada, and Mexico travelers, this is the most amazing. It was 84Euros, or $102 Canadian dollars, unbelievably reasonable! Stay here

• Stayed August 2013
Catalin_Bejan, General Manager at Kronwell Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Mr. Adam,

Thank you for your dedicated time. We strongly believe that every feedback will help us maintain our standards and improve our services. We appreciate your comparison with Vegas and Mexico.

I will make sure to share your thoughtful comments with our team and especially with Mrs. Vanessa.

We are looking forward to have you again as a guest.

Best regards,

Loma Linda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was looking for a nice place after some hot days and very average stays - but this was way more than I expected. One of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in. I'll come back here over and over. Nice to enjoy the sauna and rest of the spa facilities. Very nice breakfast with lots of variety. The staff enjoyed being nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Catalin_Bejan, General Manager at Kronwell Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on the Tripadivsor following your stay at Kronwell Brasov Hotel and I am delighted to read that you thought it was one of the nicest hotels ever. We love reading about how much our guests enjoy their stay in our hotel. Your comments will pushing us keep forward to and keep our better standard. I have passed your kind comments to all the team who appreciate your time and we look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit.

Warm regards,

Haifa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Great room ; great bed ; excellent staff.
10 meters from train station. (no noise or any other bother from station)
Breakfast is excellent.
We navigated from Otopeni to the hotel without a GPS easily.
Don't hesitate - book it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Mrs. Haifa,

Thanks for your review and feedback. We are so happy you had a great time with us. We have shared your comments with the Kronwell team. It means a great deal to us to know that guests enjoy the ``Life in Style`` experience.
We look forward to seeing you sometime in the near future.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

A brand new hotel was just what Brasov needed, as it appears no other current competition in the high end market. I was really impressed by the Kronwell Hotel, staff were pleasant and helpful and it's location was right next to the main train station so it's great after a train journey from Bucharest!

The bedroom itself was very comfortable, amazingly big bed which was very comfy! A mixture of high tech gadgets and gizmos make this hotel experience a pleasurable experience!

Well worth a stay, I will be back :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Kronwell Brasov Hotel.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we thank you for complementing our hotel! Your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests.

We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back to Kronwell Hotel Brasov in the near future.

Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Kronwell is class all the way! I loved the bed, and the rooms look lovely. What I also loved was the bathroom design - the walls are made of glass. Some of the rooms have smart TVs, iPads and coffee makers. The staff was very nice and helpful.
They have 5 different sized conference rooms, and while the spa isn't very big, you do have a Finnish sauna, an emotional shower, a salt cabin and a steam bath.
The hotel is right next to the train station and very close to a shopping mall (not that one that burned, a different one). It's not that close to the center, but it's 5 minutes away by car. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The rooms that overlook the boulevard have the best view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I am happy that you were able to take advantage of our close proximity to your traveling option. Thank you for providing such friendly and considerate comment on our services.

We are delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations. I will make sure to share your thoughtful comments with our team.

Thank you so much for having stayed with us and we are looking forward to welcome you back.

Catalin Bejan - General Manager Kronwell Brasov Hotel

Been to Kronwell Hotel? Share your experiences!