“One of my favorite hostels in Europe” 5 of 5 stars

Hostel Miran
Lazetica 13, Mostar 88000, Bosnia and Herzegovina   |
Ranked #7 of 64 Specialty Lodging in Mostar
Tanzania
“One of my favorite hostels in Europe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Please do yourself a favor ad come to Bosnia. The history and the people are incredible! Mostar is a very special place. Staying here gave me such a gift to live among a local family and learn the culture and history of what the people experienced during such an unspeakable time. Miran and his family are amazing, so passionate about their country, their people and the travelers they meet along the way. Make sure you do his war tour, and day tour around the area, you will ever forget it. I came here as a stranger, and am leaving as family!

Stayed November 2012

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Busan, Busan, South Korea
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights.
The first night when I got there, he looked nice outwardly.
He welcomed me with smiling face. Then He took me to desk to explain about the city roughly.
After unpacking my luggage at my room, I started to cook some pasta. After finishing it then started to eat it letting him know I'll definitely wash up the pan I used. But He was so impatient. After eating it then in the middle of chilling out, He nagged me to wash it up. That was the first moment I felt uncomfortable toward him.
This feeling didn't stop until off to another city.
I felt like staying in the a bit freedom-given PRISON. He is so pretentious, aggressive, arrogant and narrow-minded. Guess what he told me and other guys? When american guy staying in the room over 10am more or less, He told "Wake up, Get out" What the hell! He also was so strict like he treated me first night. He also even told me "Get out" after finishing helping me out about but ticket. I felt like he looked down upon me. What's worse, About the pasta I've eaten for 3 days, I wonder why he criticized about appetite. He mentioned "Why you keep eating pasta? It's unhealthy. And even It would cost more than having a dinner every night at restaurant." with sarcastic tone. I was about to burst out.
I made some relationship with 4 people there. 2 of them, and Korean girl(I heard what happened to her from him), me.. So all together 4 of us don't like him so much.
Feel like escaping from prison really. Me and an american accompanied to Sprit where I'm traveling right now is feeling really relaxing! Here is way better than there.
He is a kind of big frog in small pond. He think he is best one.
To make it bluntly, He needs Break! Someone need to get him out of there for a while.

P.S) I know this hostel is clean. It's undeniable. But they don't have lockers. and Kitchen really sucks.. they even doesn't have a normal fry pan.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Puebla, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The hostel is owned by a local family who organize the tours and take care of the hostel! The hostel lies 7 min walking from the bus and train station, and some 10 min walking from the Old Town, which is really good. The guy Miran, the owner of the hostel, is very nice and likes to chat with his guests! If you arrive at night, he can go pick you up to the station Recommended!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Stayed in this hostel because my friend booked it, nothing fanciful about the hostel, but the hospitality was awesome. We did a War Tour with Miran and were all deeply touched by what he had to say to us. Miran is a great man, great husband, great father and great host to us! I left Mostar with a strong emotional attachment that I have never experienced in so many years of travelling. Really, you have to come to Hostel Miran to experience it for yourself.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Stevenage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I really enjoyed the warm welcome that the hosts of this hostel provided just over a week ago (25th-27th May 2012). Miran's younger brother, Miram, met me at the bus station (although the meeting wasn't pre-arranged) and he took me on a personalised tour of the former front line the following day, which was both excellent and eye-opening (thank you, Miram!). Miran the owner was always willing to stop and talk to me and other guests, even without being stopped himself to be asked something - he's just the perfect host who values his guests, makes plenty of time for them and treats them like friends. Some reviewers say this is a pretty basic hostel (well yes, it is. It's not a party hostel - it's quiet, and it's a home providing a home for its guests) but it's comfortable enough and the basic amenities are far outweighed by the hospitality. I certainly recommended this hostel to others when I moved on to Sarajevo and I'm sure you'd do the same.

Room Tip: If you're coming to Mostar then choose a place to stay that will help to leave a lasting impress...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We arrived at the trainstation, where miran picked us up with his car. although it's not far (200m) from the station, it's always nice to be welcomed by miran (or his family).

The hostel was simple, clean and efficient. We stayed in a double room, but there are dorms as well.They organize day trips to see the waterfalls, to the former war zone, and to some interesting cultural places. I highly recommend them, as the guide is well informed and the price is good.

Miran is a fantastic host, who helps you out a lot. This was a thankful expericence. Would recommend to all backpackers.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Miran met us at the bus station. He is a very friendly and interesting host. The accommodations were simple but very clean. The kitchen was very well stocked and the outside common area was a perfect place to meet and relax with other guests. Great location near restaurants and an easy walk to the bridge.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostel Miran? Share your experiences!