“Really long wait times” 2 of 5 stars

Description: Located in the building of the Best Western Hotel
Kiev, Ukraine
“Really long wait times”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Connected to the Best Western, this Japanese restaurant is one to go to if you have loads of free time. When I stayed in the Best Western last summer I would take a book and go sit for hours while I waited for and consumed my food. While this was fine for me at the time, but having visited again with friends, I realized that it was only because I had my book that I did not notice how long it took for the food to arrive. We waited nearly two hours last Saturday for our food to arrive. When it did, it arrived piecemeal: a noodle dish here, a tray of sushi there, a salad. None of us ate at the same time. Those of us that ordered sushi waited nearly an hour and a half while we could see the sushi cooks hanging out talking and not really doing much in the sushi bar area.

The rolls I had were fine. I went with the Kappa Maki, and two rolls with eel. Friends had seaweed salad (reported it to be good) and Miso soup (reported it not to be good). Prices are high, but normal for the area. If you are staying at Best Western you will find a 10% off coupon flier in your room.

One thing to note is that they charge their drinks by gram. So when you order a water, if they bring a bottle it will be double the price in the menu because there is double the amount in the bottle than listed on the menu. This struck me as really shady.

Obviously, it's going to be the Ukrainian version of Japanese food which can be good (especially if you keep this in mind when deciding on a non-Ukrainian restaurant). I would be cautious about some of the stir fried dishes though because they were extremely salty.

Knowing what it is, I might go back with my book. The service was OK and if you enjoy sitting outside and writing, reading or people/car watching (on the main street) you may not notice how long it takes.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Burlington, Vermont
“BAD Japanese food!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Not authentic Japanese! But I lived in Japan so I have very high standards. Steer away, overpriced and touristy.

Visited May 2012