“A delightful church, more of a chapel really” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 46 Attractions in Kotor
Type: Religious Sites, Cultural
New York City, New York
397 attraction reviews
“A delightful church, more of a chapel really”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

I know the guide books said St. Luke's was small, but I was shocked to see how small. It really consists of just one tiny room inside and outside it hardly fills a corner of the square. Nevertheless, it is beautiful in its simplicity. And really ironic that this was one of the few buildings to survive the most recent earthquake.

Visited August 2011

• Polish first
Lisbon, Portugal
148 attraction reviews
“Little church”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

Little church that seems beautiful but you must pay to enter and visit. I do not like going into churches and feel pressured to give money, so I limited myself to peek inside. Which is very sad. It would be much more interesting if the priest's attitude was different. It's preferable to let each one decide whether to give money to church or not.

Visited August 2011
Rome
23 attraction reviews
“Priest is full-time fundraiser with attitude and cruise critic lies about the altars”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

i was really excited to find this church because of a note on cruisecritic.com that says it is noted for having two altars, one for the the Eastern Orthodox Church and another for the Roman Catholic Church and that this shows the religious tolerance there. False. There is an Eastern altar and then a blank wall where, apparently, there was a Catholic altar 500years ago when it was torn down. Compliments for having had two altars, but boo to all the resources claiming it's still there (sadly also the staff of Holland America cruise lines claimed there were these two altars, causing me to seek out the church.)

Then there's the hustling priest mentioned in this last review as well. We had befriended some other local man well enough to translate for us to ask the priest about the 2nd altar (it was apparent there was only one). Then the priest showed us that he had Saint Luke's bone and was very clear that we should leave a donation there. So i reached into my pocket, pulled out all the change there and put it there near the Apostle's relic. What came out was 50cents in Euros and two American quarters. The priest picks up the two quarter begins speaking unhappily and then says "banks" is points down with his thumb and throws the quarters down in what appeared to be disgust. i would have taken the quarters back but we had lost the attention of our translator by this time and not being able to give a zinger back to him made getting the change back not worth it.

In the photo attached you can see the (beautiful) Eastern altar on the left, the blank wall where the Roman Catholic altar was on the right and in the middle you can see the priest helping some other man get some money out of his wallet for himself.

Visited October 2011
Huntington Beach, California
20 attraction reviews
“Tiny church nestled in my favorite Adriatic town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

When I approached this church, the priest was in the door beckoning. He was so proud to show me his tiny serbian orthodox church, and I was afraid at first, since I thought I might feel obligated to pay or stay or who knows what? He was sweet and insisted on taking my picture inside and showing me this little source of pride and joy that he runs. I asked him (he spoke no English but my "sign language" worked fine) if I could buy a cute little box on his shelf which was the only box of any kind in the church. It was sort of beat up but I wanted to remember this sweet kind man. He sold it to me for five euro, and gave me some kind of prayer papers - not sure - but they were pretty. I have attached a picture, check it out.

Visited September 2011