“When in Ukraine, do as the Ukrainians do” 4 of 5 stars

Yalta Intourist Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50, Drazhinskiy Str., Yalta 298650, Ukraine   |
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Yalta
Roma
“When in Ukraine, do as the Ukrainians do”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

The hotel is one of the first choice in Yalta for middle/upper-class Ukrainians. So when choosing a hotel in Yalta I went in Yalta Intourist mainly for this reason. I wasn't disappointed at all. Au contraire, I was definitely well satisfied. The building is a typical soviet style one, and it is put in such a way that allows the vast majority of the rooms to be sea-viewed. At the check-in I was amazed by the difference of the two styles in the main hall: the reception desk which is totally soviet-style (and by god's sake, just renew it!) and the side where the bar is, which is absolutely brand new. After the check-in they gave us at first an "old-style" room, totally not renovated, that looked almost like post-soviet student's home rooms. I went back to the desk and convinced them to give me a brand new. I had the impression that if I wasn't russian speaking, they wouldn't nevere evere changed me the room. Anyway the new room was quite satisfiyng, the furniture was new-ish, and the bathroom was halfway soviet, but I didn't care that much as I was astonished by the view (right side of the building when facing the sea), so I spent like one hour sitting on the balcony relaxing. The cleaning is ok, but they do it only once per day. The staff is actually very friendly, comparing to the Ukrainian standard. The breakfast is top-notch, super. A wide american-ish buffet, with almost everything. I remember the first days I could hardly walk after the breakfast. The quality level is higher than in the average 4 or 5 star in Kiev. The beach can be reached by walking AND taking a lift crossing corridors carved in stone. The "beach club" has a lot of small tiny tavernas and umbrellas + sun beds are in the total availabilty of guests. I'd give a "B" to the beach side. The hotel is nested into a nice green territory with lots of gardens. In the hotel there's at least 6-7 restaurants, shops and a travel agency + a restaurant on the top floor "Ai Petri" with a breathtaking view over Yalta and surroundings. The hotel has a very good moneyvalue, and it is actually worth every cent. Just be careful to the old style rooms and check if during your future staying there will be held conventions. Considering the size of the hotel, a convention means actually even up to five hundred people. During my stay there was a conventions of members of an international association based in Turkey, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Kirgizistan. I've got nothing against those people, but they were way too much and way too... challenging in the buffet... If I'd go to Yalta once more I'd consider of course to come back here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
Kiev, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Great architectural masterpiece. But some updated details are poor (plastic doors/windows, ugly signs and art decors), and demonstrates incomprehension and disrespect to the great heritage, unfortunately.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Vasteras, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hotel is a combination of soviet time and modern service.
It is hard for me to assess this place. I spent every summer during my childhood at Crimea, the last time i have been here at 2007 and wanted to come back a lot. My parents have visited this hotel 2 years ago and hardly recommended it. I should say i was surprised - i imagined something much better. I cannot say that hotel is bad, but appearance, numbers and some things are awful.
Will start with that hotel looks like it looked at 80-es maybe, just became worse.
Plus here that the area is very nice with pretty and cute park around.
The next minus are rooms. Or rooms are okay, but bathroom is 1 square meter. Sink looks like it will fall on you, toilet feels like you will fall from it. Bath tub - is a whole in the floor with a step like board from the rest of room. It is no place to put some bath stuff, so we continued to keep it at bag, that is very uncomfortable.
The rooms in general look nice, but there is one and only visible outlet. And it is used for TV and fridge. So even charging laptops and phones became a problem.
Also rooms or at least some of them doesn't have any hairdryer. You may stay with wet hair or go to dry them at swimming pool lockers area.
The next point room cleaning. All girls are nice, smiling, telling hi to you every time. But the new soap, shampoo, shower gel and even toilet paper you may get if you remind only. Balcony area they cleaned at all only after 2 days me asking about it. Before it was dirty table, and i guess they didn't even check it.
Also big minus it is planning of rooms. It is no isolation at all. The first day we couldn't fall asleep for 2 hours because some people were celebrating something at their balcony and we heard every word with closed balcony door.
The next morning we woke up at 5 cause of alarm of our neighbor, which apparently we heard and he didn't. So listening his alarm continued several more mornings. We tried to knock his door and talk to him, but he didn't open, security tried and nothing. So at the end we just had to change the room to be able to sleep normal.
The next point is swimming pool. It is really nice place with warm 28 degrees sea water and especially was nice at may, when sea is still too cold. Much better than to have normal pool, much healthier and pleasant. But to get to this nice swimming pool you have to go through lockers and changing rooms, showers and so on. And no other way. And not a big deal, but not really nice.
But even with all these soviet constructure and some soviet service the place is nice.
It has lots of interesting entertainment, pretty view, good restaurants, sweet park, own beach, amazing pool and quite helpful reception stuff.
I would say that i might be even want to come back to this hotel, but definitely to better number, maybe some issues will be solved such way.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Strijen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed in Yalya inturist for 4 days (end of May 2012). Our trip was part of a 2 month roundtrip in Eastern Europe.

We wanted to relax a couple of days (due to a long traveled distance), do some sightseeing. Also the pool was important, because our kids wanted to swim.

The hotel is very big and has a lot of facilities. A couple of restaurants, some shops, a very big pool (Olympic size) and a large pool for the kids.

We had a suite. It's was very good and had good furniture, beds and bathrooms. From the balconies we had a great view on the mountains and the Black Sea.

The service in the restaurants was mostly very good. The waiters were very friendly to the kids and our kids loved all the attention.

I had some troubles with the room rates, due to a problem by booking by the internet. I noticed it with checking out, and needed some argumentation to convince the staff of the amount that I payed too much. I think it also has to do with the more bureaucratic organisation (like in the earlier communism days) and me not really understanding this way of acting, due to the Dutch kind of operating I am used to. A little "clash of cultures" :-) But I got the money back, so this issue was good taken care of.

As mentioned we were in early season, so it wasn't busy in the hotel. I think it will be a big difference wehn staying during summer vacation. I don't know if I still would like it there, due to the large number of guests staying at the hotel.

We all enjoyed our stay and will return to this hotel if we visit Yalta in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kiev, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The reviews vary here but comparing the other Yalta hotels, this one is very good. Clean rooms, and each has a balcony, excellent breakfast, big swimming - pool with lots of activities, very good and clean beach, lots of places to eat. It takes around 15 min to get to Yalta promenade, the way back is around 25 min uphill or by local bus or taxi. WI-Fi is available only in the lobby and in suites and junior suites A. A very good good restaurant on top floor with an amazing view of the city, sea, mountains.
A very good place for families with kids, lots of activities for them, kids pool, playground, ect.
Lots of elevators which takes only a couple of minutes to get to you room even to 15th floor.

Room Tip: renovated rooms either facing the sea or mountains
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Otterndorf, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

It is a very clean Hotel, perfect for a businesstrip like Seminars etc.. The Service is like I know from all of my trips to the East is more than 100% perfect.
The offer a lot possibilities like In-Outdoor Pool, Massage, Bars, Discotheque and other Sportactivities
The rooms need for sure a big refreshments in case of new furnitures, carpets, paperhangings.
So finaly I can say that the Hotel have a good Weststandard but the Rooms have a standard 20 years ago.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
yerevan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

First I saw the pics guessed it's another monster form Soviet times with all its consequences.
First time entered, even before entering, got that I was unfortunately right!
I was met by parking person who told that for lefting car in the big parking in front of the hotel I have to pay 10 grivnas (8grivna = 1USD) for one hour.
Cheking in was very very slow! Hotel itself is very huge it means long and narrow corridors one has to climb seems for an hour before getting into the room. Never liked it! It means that booking rooms near the central elevators can solve this problem. thera are also another 2 groups of elevators which are situated in the end of the hotel.
Elevators are alway overfilled during breakfasts and dinners. And as there are many conferances held in this hotel many participants seem to occupy the whole hotel.
Everything in this hotel is tuned to look modern and expensive but the only real expensive ones are the prices especially in restaurants! which do not offer: delicious or even good food, service, menu!!!!!!! Avoid Armenian restaurant "Rudnye Goryin the ground flor in the end of the hotel, avoid Ukrainian one in the 0 floor and outside!!!!! Armenian is very very expensive and there is no genuine Armenian kitchen and the stuff wants to cheat!!! all price here are 3 times more they should be ! another issue with the Ukrainian one - very poor menu and bad smelling dishes. Ran away when while waiting for the order got this smelling. Canceled the order. Tried real Ukrainian cuisine in "Kazachok" it is little far from the town but it worths to go there!!!!
Coming back to the hotel. It is far and very hard to get to town. There are no minibars in the rooms you have to pay 400 grivnas for filling it and it doesn't matter whether you will use it or not afterwards!
If decided to stay there choose upper floors and Yalta view.

Room Tip: Only floors 5 and upper. View to Jalta is good!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Yalta Intourist Hotel? Share your experiences!