“Good place to stay” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto
“Good place to stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

Good location, just 10 minutes walk to city center and next to nice park. I arrived very late, check-in was fast and receptionists spoke English.
Room is average, bathroom requires some renovation, however both were clean.
Excellent breakfast is included in room rate. Good variety of cold and hot food.
This is not 5 star property and is not intended to be, yet sufficient for staying couple days to explore beautiful city of Lviv.

• Liked — Location, veiw from rooftop restaurant
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. This feels very much like a business hotel, in every respect. We stayed in a superior room for 750 uah per night (about $190 Cdn). Given the price in Ukraine, I would have expected a Marriott or Sheraton quality. This felt more like a Best Western. I later learned that this is a room that is closest to North American Standards, as they have been renovated. The lower class rooms (for 550 uah / 400 uah) have not been renovated.

The superior room was very tight, the bed took up most of the room. The bathroom was also the tiniest that I'd seen, but was of Western standards. The water pressure was wonderful... esp. after the drip showers previously taken in our Kiev accomodations. Also, the hot water supply was good and did not run out during our showers. Great view from the room.

The reception speaks very little english, which did not surpise us as we found that locals (in Lviv & Kyiv) did not like to speak it, or did not know how. It was difficult for us to get services in this respect.

The buffet breakfast was good - there was a very large spread including hot and cold food, and I was impressed with their espresso machine!

Location was about 10 minutes outside the city centre. A very quick walk through the park to get there.

If I returned to Lviv, I would try to get an apartment accomodation in hopes of a freshly renovated suite for a lower price. However, if I had to settle for a hotel, this is the only one I'd stay at.

• Liked — Clean bathroom
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Camberley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

After reading previous reviews I arrived at this hotel with some trepidation. However I was pleasantly surprised. The front desk staff were polite and helpful, as were all the staff I had dealings with. Breakfast was fine. The room was smallish but perfectly adequate and clean. The location was excellent with a short walk into town.
When I wanted to travel to the open air museum the receptionist explained that the number 7 tram was not working and showed me an alternative route, marking it on a map, he could not have been more helpful.
All in all well worth the money spent.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — size of room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ukraine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

It was horrible hotel. I would never recommend anyone to go to that hotel and I'm absolutely serious about this. First of all I booked this hotel via their website and I never got a letter of confirmation. So I called the hotel and verified that everything is fine. We arrived at 10 a.m. and front desk girls (who are very rude) wanted to charge us in advance for 2 and half nights. I asked when is your check in time and they said at 12 o'clock. If you were me would you pay for 2 hours half the price??? I didn't. At 12 o'clock they gave us room. Never take standard or economy room. We took standard for 500 grn. When I entered the room I felt like in USSR economy class room. Furniture, environment, size everything reminded me of USSR. I asked front desk to show me economy class. They said that nothing is available. When I said that I want to talk to manager everything started to be available and administrator showed us room.My goodness! It was something... I can not even describe. Old, tiny, no... in USSR even economy class was better. And this "beauty" was for 400 grn!!!! Day continued. And as we payed 500 grn (which is 120$) for the "Standard 4 **** hotel room", so we wanted experience the difference between standard room of 2** hotel and 4** hotel. My husband wanted gym, which they don't have. I wanted to go to sauna. You won't believe, but they charge 100grn for 1 hour sauna... So why do I have to stay at 4 **** hotel and pay 2-3 times as much if I have to pay for service extra. Wi-Fi wasn't working at all. They promise that at restaurant it is working. No. It wasn't. In the evening I ordered Salad from restaurant for 60 grn. In nice restaurant in Lviv you can have it for 20-30 grn the most. And when they brought it waiter asked to pay right away. No receipt, nothing. What if I didn't have cash? I would have to hive him my credit card??? Next morning we had breakfast, which was OK. Not perfect, as we had in Europe, but OK. Whoever is reading this review take into consideration: my husband was very sick after breakfast. I don't want to describe everything that was going on with him, but for next 3 days he was very sick.

So taking into consideration everything above think twice if you want to stay there.

P.S. By the way, my husband spoke to manager. He didn't say anything. Just listened. No sorry, so everything goes from boss.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2008

Dnister is in a great location, ok breakfast but check in rude and staff (apart from the bell boy who was very pleasant) terribly rude to me. I couldn't speak Ukrainian which may have been why.

Room was nice and i did have a great view of the neighborhood. Although in most of Ukrainian i found people were generally rude to outsiders who can not speak the language. I believe the positive out of Dnister is that they can speak English however you do need to press them for any assistance of any kind.

• Liked — Great location and views
  • Disliked — Rude front staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2007

The Hotel Dinster is in a great location in Lviv. Many sites and markets within walking distance. The staff was very helpful and I would reccommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed January 2007
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2006

We arrived in L'viv via train and had no reservations. We found the Dnister and were so happy with our stay. The room overlooked the city as noted by another reviewer and had one of the best showers in Eastern Europe! The breakfast was fantastic including lots of local dishes instead of the more typical cereal and overcooked eggs. L'viv is a wonderful hospitable city and I recommend it to any traveler who wants to get off the beaten path a little.

• Liked — Location, view, breakfast.
  • Disliked — Front desk staff could be better and more accommodating but will not judge the entire hotel on the actions of one person.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Dnister Hotel? Share your experiences!