“Nice boutique hotel in Gruz” 4 of 5 stars

Berkeley Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Andrije Hebranga 116A, Dubrovnik 20000, Croatia   |
Ranked #7 of 70 hotels in Dubrovnik
San Francisco
“Nice boutique hotel in Gruz”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed here in July with friends. The drive from Dubrovnik airport is about 25 minutes and the Old Town is about a 10-min ride by bus. The rooms were clean, the staff very friendly and helpful. It's a nice boutique hotel with about 40 rooms. My room was very quiet in the evenings. They serve breakfast and can make your eggs as you like them (although the eggs were always too oily). I would stay here again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Katarina_Du, Manager at Berkeley Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are a small hotel with actually only 24 rooms in total so the atmosphere is more intimate and relaxed where we aim for guests to feel like they are part of the family and not just a number. It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you again.

530 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in July 2012 at the end of our trip & it was a great choice. The reception staff are very friendly & helpful, the staff at breakfast make you feel welcome & relaxed. We had a spacious room with a large, comfortable bed and a separate living/kitchen area. There was a sunbathing/sitting area on the balcony & we were right by the small outdoor pool which was great for a cooling dip. The air con was very efficient & quiet, shutters on the windows meant it was nice & dark inside the bedroom & it was very quiet, so no disturbed sleep which was great! We chose the hotel because of all the great reviews & in my opinion they are well deserved. If we visit Dubrovnik again we will definitely choose the Berkeley.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Katarina_Du, Manager at Berkeley Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our apartments which are extra spacious. As a small family operated hotel, we aim to create a friendly and relaxed atmosphere for our guests and am glad to hear that this is what you enjoyed.

We hope to see you again at the Berkeley!

St. Petersburg, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

What do you expect from “family owned boutique hotel” (as stated at the web site of Berkeley Hotel)? Unique location, high quality design of rooms and qualitative fittings, personal touch, professional and attentive staff with “guest is always right” attitude? If yes, you should go to find another boutique hotel to stay in.

I read carefully reviews on TripAdvisor before booking this hotel and concerned over the way hotel’s management replies to guest reviews with any criticism. I found it rude and unprofessional. (Already waiting for angry comments to my review :-) But I decided to give a chance to the hotel since it could always be inadequate guests who demand a room service or minibar from 2 star motel and you cannot blame the hotel in this case.

The location of the hotel is definitely not central. And definitely not a “boutique” location. One needs a good bus or taxi ride to get to the old city gate. However the street is quiet and a bus stop in 5 minutes walking down the road. The neighborhood is lovely built-up with residential buildings, nothing scary as other guests noticed. Not a lot people on the street in evening, but that is residential part of the city, everybody’s at home. The hotel features handy underground parking that was a key reason I decided to stay there.

The lobby area couldn’t brag about nice décor or cozy lobby-bar. The reception lady was totally indifferent. I wouldn’t say she was unfriendly but I didn’t feel welcomed. She didn’t give us the room key, but already asked, “When will you leave tomorrow?” I believe it could be a reason to ask that question, but it made me completely stunned. I was not checked in but already got a question when will I leave! Later I noticed that there were a lot of different signs forbidding one or another thing. “Do not use this door to access pool area”, “Do not take the food out of the breakfast room”, “Pay the bill day before if checking out before 8 am”, etc. All these small details do not give you a warm welcome.

The room was really spacious with long corridor, sitting area and balcony overlooking pool area. I believe 3 star hotel chain would make 2 smaller rooms out of this one. Or accessible room for handicapped guests. Bathroom was large but with essential things only: wc, lonely shower cabin, small wash basin. Shower cabin looked strange in such large bathroom. What I disliked the most was the sewerage smell. The room furniture was very basic. A large fridge (so called “minibar”) with tea/coffee facilities on top was standing in the middle of the room making a noticeable noise. Air-condition was very effective. The bed was good. Cleanness of the room was so-so.

A great extra of the hotel is pool area with “honesty bar”. Guests are welcome to take snacks and drinks by themselves making a note what they took and what room number they were from in the provided list. Pool area was relaxing, nothing to complain about.

A couple of words about breakfast: it was awful in comparison with other 10 hotel breakfasts I experienced in Croatia during my stays across the country from small B&Bs up to legendary Regent Esplanade at Zagreb. A very limited selection of fruit, cereal, bread rolls and yoghurt was on the buffet. Hot dishes (eggs with 3 filling on your choice) need to be ordered from a gruff breakfast lady. Portions were small and the food was too greasy. Not a good start of the day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Berkeley Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for your review and suggestion that we respond to each TripAdvisor review as it makes a difference to TripAdvisor users such as yourself. In the future we will respond to all reviews.

It appears you had a negative opinion of our hotel prior to your arrival and unfortunately we did not change this into a positive opinion during your one night stay with us. I have looked at your comments and will take these into account when we do future renovations in the hotel.

Every hotel has its house rules, one of ours is that if guests are leaving early before 8am that they settle their room bill the night before. I do not consider this as a major inconvenience and we have a sign on reception in this regard to remind guests.

I am glad you enjoyed our outdoor pool area and honesty bar available for hotel guests.

Once again, thank you for your review.

Wigan, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Only stayed for 2 nights but was recognised by the staff on each occasion that we saw them and they always appeared interested in us, remembered where we had planned to visit and when we arrived at 9pm on the first night they even made reservations for us at the Otto Taverna restaurant! Really clean and modern rooms (bed comfier than mine at home), amazing breakfast for the size of the place and great swimming pool area.
The hotel was a good 40 mins walk or 10 mins drive into Dubrovnik. We used the bus once and found it like a sardine can. For not much more I'd definately suggest jumping a taxi!
Fab place - no hesitation in recommending it!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I found this hotel on TripAdvisor and booked it well in advance of our trip. They were very quick to reply to my e-mail inquiry and were able to accommodate our group of 12 (5 rooms). The rooms were very nice, spacious with comfortable large (king) beds, modern bathrooms, air conditioning, and small balconies. The hotel is a small hotel, on a relatively quiet street that doesn't get a lot of traffic, and was about 3 blocks from the bus stop. The hotel staff was very helpful, all spoke very good English, and all of our requests were quickly taken care of. The breakfast was very good and included eggs fixed to order, several choices of fruit and bread, good coffee, bacon, etc. The pool was wonderful, and a great place to relax at the end of a hot day. Our room (for me and my 3 children) had a bedroom, second room (usually a sitting room but had a double or queen fold-out couch for 2 to sleep on), and a small kitchenette with refrigerator. This worked out just great for us (the rest of our group had regular doubles with king beds). The hotel is in the Porto Gruz area, about a 10 minute bus ride from the Pile gate to the old town. I can't say enough about this hotel and can't think of a single negative - just book it! I would definitely stay there again if I ever go back to Croatia.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view (may cost a bit more, but worth it). A higher floor would be best.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We paid for airport transfers organised by the hotel - he was there waiting when we arrived in a smart Mercedes, an easy 20-25 mins along the coast road to the hotel. Check in was easy and the first of our chats with the staff - exceptional English and very helpful / friendly. Breakfast was fine. Enjoyed the pool area. Our room had a harbour view, was a large suite and had a v large balcony. An easy 10 mins bus ride to the old town, or a 40 min walk not to be attempted when it's hot. There are some restaurants within close walking distance down by the new port, with the better ones round on the opposite side of the harbour facing the hotel. Main bus/coach station less than 10 mins walk. Definitely recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was 22 - large room, suite area and balcony
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

My friend and I stayed here a couple if weeks ago and were very impressed. The rooms were clean, smart and cool! Important when it's 90 degrees outside! The staff were really lovely and helpful and friendly at all times. It is a short bus ride to the old town but again the staff will tell you everything you need to know as to his to get there, and how to get to the best beach! One night we went to watch the football but had to come back early due to me being stupid and getting heat stroke :( But they quickly put the football on in reception for my mate while I recovered in the room which was brilliant! A lovely hotel if you want somewhere clean, friendly and safe to stay :)

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Berkeley Hotel? Share your experiences!