“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 70 hotels in Dubrovnik
Ireland
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff were very friendly, helpful and professional. We stayed in room 409, nice and quiet, we didn't hear any noise on the corridors.
The food was fantastic. In the mornings there was an excellent selection of fresh fruit, seeds, rice cakes, breads, cheeses, cold meats and cereal. Good selection of teas and pastries. The chef cooked bacon, eggs, omelette and pancakes to how each guest liked them. Dinner was also top class. There was something different to choose from each evening. Plenty of salads, veg, soups, meats etc. Desserts - icecream, cakes, fruit etc
The hotel was spotless. The staff at the bar each evening were superb. Cocktails were excellent.
This hotel reminded me of good old fashioned hospitality - welcome drink on arrival, the manager had a small drinks reception another eve and there was music every evening. The BBQ by the pool on Wednesday nights is definitely worth a try.

I would recommend taking the number 6 bus from the first terminal by the President hotel. Just a short walk through the back gardens of the hotel. This way you are guaranteed a seat on the bus. The number 5 bus is the best bus to catch to the cable car and goes from same stop.

We went for drinks each eve to the local hotels - President good for seaviews and Lacroma classy, modern and nice outdoor terrace.

Walking the walls in the old town and the cable car are a must!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
dear guest,
A big thank you for this lovely review. I am really happy to read that you had a great vacation in Tirena and that you were fully satisfied with your room, hotel overall cleanliness and of course with our food. Our chef's will certainly be delighted to read your comments regarding their work. I am also glad that you have had a chance to enjoy the sunshine on our pool and that you took a chance to visit our sister hotels as well. We hope that we will see you in Tirena in the future and until then I send you warm regards from Dubrovnik.

305 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have just returned from a Ledger holiday, staying in this hotel for 4 nights. i must admit when I first arrived I was a little disappointed as the hotel I had stayed in for the first part of my holiday had been excellent.
On arrival i was allocated a room that my travel courier said was not suitable for a lady travelling on her own, the manager did change this for me. The room I was given was a room adapted for disabled guests.The hotel was full and no other rooms were available. I stayed in this room for 3 nights then had to move rooms as a disabled guest required the room. The manager could not have been more apologetic and gave me a superior room with a lovely sea view for my last night along with a complimentary basket of fruit and a bottle of red wine.
The hotel is clean, light and spacious. The dining room however gets very busy and exceptionally noisy which is a shame as the food is very good. The choices are endless and some foods are cooked to order right in front of you. The staff are polite and obliging.
The hotel is situated on a peninsula with several other hotel whose facilities can be used by Tirena guests. A local bus is also only minutes away which goes into Dubrovnik.
I would stay in this hotel again if I ws in the area

Room Tip: Do not be put off by first impressions, this hotel has a lot more to offer than you first think
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay in our hotel on our TripAdvisor webpage. I am happy to read that our staff did their best to accommodate you and fix the room allocation issue in the best possible way. A big thank you for your words of praise regarding our service and the food quality as well as it helps us to keep up the highest possible level of service.
Hopefully you will visit this area again in the future so we can greet you once again and until then I send you warmest regards from the entire Tirena staff.
Bucharest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The hotel was o.k. , my room (nr. 333) have had a balcony with a bad view , but the worst was from 07.00 A.M. till 10.00 A.M. when the smell from the kitchen wake me up even if I close the window , and the smell repeat at 19.00 P.M.
The room was good and clean and had a very nice bathroom.
The foods was amazing , fantastac good , we've had half board.
A little bit noise , but o.k.
Very good services.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your insights regarding your stay at our hotel. I am glad to read that you were very satisfied with your accommodation and the quality of the food and provided services. On the other hand I am sorry to read that you had smell issues that came from the outside. We will definitely look into that and double check all of our ventilation shafts and filters. I am happy to see that this did nod diminish your overall impression of our hotel and I hope that you will be our guest in the future so we can provide you with the best possible service on that occasion.
Nenad Marić,
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our first holiday in Croatia and very impressed we will defiantly be going back. and the hotel Tirena was from reading other reviews probably just what we expected. Although I suspect its originally from the Yugoslavia holiday era the hotel for a 3* is very impressive inside being spotlessly clean spacious light and airy helped by good staffing levels all of who were polite and helpful.

Our room (360) at the side (I think ?) of the hotel not the biggest I.ve stayed in only had a view of a couple of olive tree's from the balcony which could have been better but on the plus side it did keep our room cool as I'm not sure if the aircon was the most efficient I've experienced. Bed very comfy, bathroom good and all kept clean every day. Just one small niggle would have loved to have some tea and coffee making facilities in the room really miss them first thing in the morning.

Half board food buffet style always very good although a little repetitive had plenty of choice in meat, pasta, fish, vegetables and salad and I thought the cooked to order while you wait meat griddle was great and proved very popular.

To summarise impressed with the standards this hotel keeps, all the staff are friendly and polite I can defiantly recommend it to anyone who wants a hotel in a quite location but only a short bus ride from Dubrovnik (buy tickets from the hotel shop they're cheaper). Don't forget to use the pool area its generally quite till mid afternoon the pool its self is superb. Evening entertainment was just about ok not really enough to stop me jumping on the bus to the old town or going for a walk but we did relax have a drink and watch some of the artists, just don't expect too much.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and taking time to share your positive experiences in hotel Tirena.
We are privileged that our polite staff, good food and as you said- nice hotel contributed to your fantastic holiday. I am especially proud you feel hotel is well kept and you were impressed with our standards, which gives us incentive to perfect them even more.
Thank you for recommending hotel Tirena to other guests and sharing additional helpful tips.
It is my pleasure to hear you will be returning to Croatia, and I really do hope you will choose Valamar chain for your next stay as well!
Until our next encounter, please let me extend warmest regards from Tirena hotel staff!
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for five nights. The hotel was built back in the Socialist days. It is hardly organic architecture and the building is showing its age a bit. Nevertheless, it is a good place to stay, despite a few shortcomings.
The Tirena is located an easy walk from a picturesque, pebbly beach. It is a 10 minute bus ride on the number 6 bus into the old town of Dubrovnik. The bus gets hot and crowded in summer months, but at least the journey is short!
The rooms and public areas of the hotel are kept very clean by hardworking maids. We had a room with a balcony. While the view, of an overgrown garden, was not inspiring, the balcony featured a pull out clothesline, which came in handy.
Everything in the room was neat and tidy. The beds were comfortable. There was plenty of storage space in the wardrobes. The bathroom had a good shower over the bath.
The restaurant downstairs was noisy, with an institutional feel, but the food was good, fresh, wholesome and well cooked. The evening meal was good value for money. Breakfast was excellent.
Now for the complaints!
The internet connection in our rooms was unreliable and the signal was weak.
We were dismayed to see miserable looking stray cats hanging around the outside of the restaurant, often being shooed away by staff. We felt sorry for the cats. We hope the hotel management will show some responsibility and resolve this problem humanely.

Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your overall positive experience of hotel Tirena.
I am glad to hear our hard working staff is noticed, and I will make sure to pass your compliments to our head of housekeeping and head chef. As for the Internet connection, thank you for sharing this, I already wrote to our IT department to look into this problem.
As you probably noticed Babin kuk complex is situated on a peninsula surrounded by gardens and beaches, and as that its ideal for city cats. Unfortunately, although the food is given to cats on several locations outside the hotels, they are always drawn to the hotel restaurants. Because of the sanitary reasons we always ask our guests not to feed the cats and our staff is trying to keep them away from the restaurant. But let me assure the cats are not mistreated in any way, and in cooperation with several pet friendly associations they even have constant veterinarian care. Also I am proud to inform you that this winter we have donated 90m2 of carpet to biggest animal shelter in Dubrovnik, as we are always striving to give back to community in any way we can.
We hope to have you again in hotel Tirena and until then have our warmest regards,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Tis is a large hotel with a good link to Dubrovnik. The rooms were clean and well appointed with excelent cleaning and good cutomer service at reception. However the room we had,even though paying extra for a balcony there was no view.

On the downside the breakfast and evening meals were self service and the dinning room large and very noisy. To the rear the gardens are scruffy but there would appear to be work in progress to update this area. Also you had to walk to the hotel pool round the side of the hotel and this certainly could be improved especially as this area is well appointed with excelent staff.

Room Tip: Toss a coin and hope for the best.
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing hotel Tirena and sharing your experiences with Tripadvisor community.
I am glad you found our staff to be excellent and helpful as this type of positive feedback is a great incentive to strive to even higher level of service.
In a quite big property as Tirena is, there is always a place for improvement, so I am glad you noticed our efforts to update hotel surroundings and I am proud to inform you that we have even bigger plans for next season. Although hotel is situated very close to the sea, and surrounded by aromatic pine, olive and cypress tree gardens, unfortunately there are only few rooms overlooking the sea, and as our standard type of room is park view without balcony, we cannot provide sea view with every upgrade to balcony room.
Hope we will have a chance to have you again as our dear guests and your next stay with us will be even more enjoyable!

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Just returned from a four night stay at the Valamar Hotel Dubrovnik. For a three star hotel it is very good. Rooms, public areas, pool and staff are very good. The dining room is large and the food served is buffet style. The choice of food is good and although the dining room is fairly noisy it did not spoil the atmosphere. Overall a very nice hotel with easy walk to the sea via sister hotel and convenient bus to the old city of Dubrovnik.

Room Tip: Stayed in a garden room near the pool area Which was quite quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Nenad M, General Manager at Tirena Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying in hotel Tirena and taking your time to share your positive experience with Tripadvisor community!
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and I will make sure to share your comments with my staff.
We hope to have you again as our dear guest and if you will need any help planning your next holiday in any of Valamar destinations and hotels, please do not hesitate to contact me!
Nenad Marić

Been to Tirena Hotel? Share your experiences!