“Four star, not five star - fabulous seaviews, lovely spa & therapists” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Dubrovnik Palace

Save Saved
You added Hotel Dubrovnik Palace to your Saves list
Hotel Dubrovnik Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Masarykov put 20, Dubrovnik 20000, Croatia   |
Ranked #13 of 71 hotels in Dubrovnik
cork
“Four star, not five star - fabulous seaviews, lovely spa & therapists”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

Just back from a week in the D Palace. Husband and I would generally stay in boutique hotels but this was a real last minute break because of the crappy weather in Ireland. In our opinion this hotel should be four star not five star rated. Standard bedroom is tight being about 12 - 13' wide at most and is adequately furnished (bit like a jurys inn). The terrace is ok in size but the view is truly fabulous. We had to ask for loungers for the terrace as its supplied with two straightbacked sun chairs, which aren't the most comfortable for long periods of time. Bathrooms have L'Occitane accessories which is nice but aren't spacious and its impossible to have a shower without wetting the floor (something that drives me nuts!). Also couldn't get the safe to work and front desk response wasn't helpful. The public areas of the hotel are nice as is the spa. I had four treatments which were wonderful with lovely therapists. Outside - there really aren't enough sun loungers outside for the amount of guests when its busy so that can be a bit of a pain if you're not down early to 'book' your lounger - this is not something I would expect from a five star hotel. I also thought that in a five star hotel there should be pool area attendants if you needed extra towels or wanted drinks etc instead of having to go get them yourself. The hotel operates a free shuttle bus to the main gate of the old town in the morning and evening which is great - its only 10 minutes or so but the peninsula location means its quiet and you get a gorgeous sea breeze. Breakfast buffet is good though I would have preferred proper barista-made coffee rather than machine but it caters for 300 bedrooms so I guess thats why. Service was mixed - when it was good it was very good and when it was bad it was real 'can't be bothered' attitude. The front desk staff were the most dismissive/inattentive. I would go back for the location (view, swimming) and the spa not for anything else particularly. BTW, Dubrovnik was absolutely wonderful with very welcoming people.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

763 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Suisse
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We've just spent a week with our children in this marvelous hotel ideally located near Dubrovnik downtown. Overall the hotel looks very impressive by its external architecture and inside style.

The rooms are nice, clean (very) with a balcony facing the Adriatic Sea. The hotel is offering several restaurants filling the need for most of the residents but suprisingly only the two on the beach are opened during lunch time.

The location is really fantastic and you can really jump in a clear sea water from the hotel artificial beach (no sandy beach around Dubrovnik anyway).

This is for the good side....

While very professionnal, we had a mix feeling regarding the service, sometime not really warm (giving a smile or 2-3 words to a customer was definitely not the habit for some of the staff)

Children were definitely not welcome and to the exception of a small swimming pool, nothing has been planned for them (not even a Cartoon Channel on the TV network...).

Overall a very nice hotel that we would certainly recommend for a romantic escapade in a beautifull city but not for family holidays with small children.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

My wife & I stayed here for 5 nights back in June and really loved the place. We got the bus out from the airport and were very happy to walk off the airport bus on to the hotel free bus shuttel that is at the city gate.

The view from the hotel is one of the best I have ever seen and really make the hotel. We asked for a high up room we were on the 8th floor so that our view would not be obstructed by trees.

I would suggest if you can to book with the hotel directly that way you can try to get a well place room and do a deal. The price we got on the phone was better than any we found on line.

We didn't eat in any of the restaurants as we found them to be quite expensive and enjoyed heading into the old town every evening. Tip try to get your bus tickets at the hotel or in the town as again they are less expensive then on the bus.

The pool side and the sea side are really what make the hotel and the diving school is really good. People come from other hotels to dive from the site here and they also do night dives.

We found all of the staff to be very friendly and helpfull but this is after all a 5 star hotel. Breakfast is good but coffee is not great and if you want the good O/J you have to ask don't drink what is put out on the tables.

The in door pool and gym are very good and as the this pool is on the top floor it again has those killer views.

If you can afford it well worth it but some of the parts are not fully 5 star .

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
new york, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Just spent 3 nights at the Palace...it was just ok.
If i could do it over again, i would stay at the Bellevue.
1st - the palace is all the way on the other side of Dubrovnik...not near the old town.
I would've liked to be closer to the old town.
The hotel is big, and doesnt have any charm. The restaurants in the hotel leave a lot to be desired...we went to the sushi place one night, and it was WAY too overpriced for what it was...and it was almost empty - not a very good atmosphere.
The rooms were fine...clean... BUT- be forwarned, some of the rooms do not have standing showers! if you are going to stay here, ask that you get a room w a shower.
Ours was a tub, with a shower head, that didnt even extend up all the way. We had to squat down or kneel to shower. It was absurd.
The pool area was nice, had a swim up bar. But the 'beach' was not impressive.
just rocks, and not a very good area to swim. I was not impressed.
Go to Buza beach instead...not the one that says 'Cold Drinks' = there is another one...to the left...it's through this little hallway...no one really knows about it, and it's much less crowded and much better!

I've been to many 5-star hotels...this was not 5-star by any means. Save your $$.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Dubrovnik Palace for a long weekend break in Dubrovnik with my Girlfriend in August 2009, and we both thought it was wonderful.

Firstly, we were upgraded to a suite on our arrival, which was a really unexpected bonus. The suite had a balcony, and a view of the islands -, it was really nice to sit out drinking a coffee in the morning, looking over the cliffs and Adriatic islands.

The suite itself was divided into a sitting area, a bedroom. It wasn't the biggest room I've ever stayed in, that's for sure, but it was stylishly decorated, very very modern, clean, comfortable and cozy. It also featured all the amenties you'd expect from a modern hotel.

The facilities at the hotel were good. The continental breakfast buffet is also very good, with a wide selection.

The staff were efficient and very friendly, and really made a huge difference to our enjoyment of our trip. Not just with the upgrade, but they handled a delivery for me efficiently, and made dinner reservations at 2 good local restaurants on our behalf, as well as being generally friendly; greeting us every time we came back to the hotel, or stopping for a quick chat to discuss our plans for the day etc.--- guest relations desk .

On previous visits to Dubrovnik I could never quite understand why people fell so much in love with the city, but having now stayed at the Hotel Dubrovnik Palace I can now totally understand the romance and lure of the city, and we'll definitely be going back in the future, and we'll stay at the Hotel Dubrovnik Palace.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

I had booked - and pre-paid - for a two nights stay at the Dubrovnik Palace Hotel one month prior to my trip. When I arrived, I was told that my reservation had been cancelled, as the hotel was apparently overbooked. I was also told that the hotel had emailed me prior to my arrival to tell me of this change. Of course, when I checked my email, the note had been sent at 5:00 a.m. the morning of my arrival in Dubrovnik! I found the last minute cancellation very unprofessional and frustrating. Fortunately, the hotel did move me to another hotel - the Kybak Hotel - that turned out to be a great stay. I would recommend everyone to stay at that hotel rather than Dubrovnik Palace in the future!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

We have had a two week holiday in an extremely lovely hotel. Our room was a standard twin and just the right size. ( What do people want an enormous room for? - ballroom danciing? ) It had a balcony with a sea view and although there were a few trees , they provided a little bit of shade and quite honestly we could still see the sea ( there is a lot of it about ! ) The bathroom was lovely and we thought the L'Occitane products were very good indeed and always replenished promptly. Our beds were freshly made up and it was a relief to return to a cool air-conditioned room. I met several couples who wanted to change their rooms because of the view, or faulty air conditioning and they were happy with the way the hotel found new rooms for them.
The breakfast buffet was humongous and judging by the amount of food that people piled onto their plates in the morning - extremely tasty. It was quite amusing to watch people surreptitiously stuffing fruit and sandwiches into their bags for a snack later on ( and yes I was one of them - until i realised the staff must be very aware that people do this all the time and why bother to hide it! ) We ate one meal in the Taverna which we both enjoyed immensely until I dis covered the next day that I had accidentally tipped the waitress 50 Euros and not 50 Kunas, A very painful lesson learned... do not confuse currency or drink half a bottle of wine on the first night.
The pool inside and outside were exactly a described in the brochure but looked even better close up. Unfortunately the outside jacuzzi was used as a play area by many of the children left to run around at will and the pool is too deep for less confident young swimmers. i was rather surprised to see several overweight men rolling around in the toddler pool - perhaps there was not enough room for them in the main pool?
There were always plenty of towels to use at the pool or beach and in the first week usually we managed to get hold of a beach lounger. But then the very efficient Europeans arrived and before i could say "Cor Blimey Guv!" every single lounger by the pool was draped with a towel or book or sun glasses - and this was at 9 am . I quickly learned that it is definitely the early bird that gets a bed and I would get up at 7 , grab a lounger and then go for breakfast. but I did try to make it look as though I had at least sat on the damn thing. Some people would place an untouched paperback centrally on a neatly folded towel and then vanish for the morning, probably on a shopping trip.
During the few stormy days ( torrential downpours with hailstones in fact) I could use the large indoor pool and there was a sauna and steam room
There have been some comments about the shuttle service - obviously from people who have never travelled on the London Underground. What do they expect he hotel to do? Have shuttle buses on stand by? The local bus runs every 15mins and costs 8 kunas if you buy the ticket from the hotel ( £1 and if you don't want to pay that much why are you staying at this hotel?) . Its a great way to sight see and get up close and personal with the locals plus it runs until late at night 2am. AND it takes you to gates of the City. Be prepared to stampede on to the bus at the City end for the return journey. Queuing is definitely a lost art in this city. Be particularly careful when trying to return from the Island of Lokrum on the ferry.There are some very hefty locals who think nothing of muttering loudly and shoving past you while you lurch perilously close to the edge of the jetty.
I booked my holiday a few months a go and did not get a "bargain deal" but I had still a fantastic time. You could not ask for more helpful and friendly staff. And i would urge everyone to learn at least a couple of words of Croatian. to be able to say please and thank you makes a difference. And for heaven's sake I wish people would smile more when they are on holiday. Too many tourists walk around looking as if they have sucked on lemons! Enjoy this beautiful city. clear waters and rugged scenery and honestly the hotel is lovely with one of the best views around and the nicest staff.

• Stayed July 2009

Been to Hotel Dubrovnik Palace? Share your experiences!