“Order cocktails from the Adriatic Sea” 5 of 5 stars

Villa Dubrovnik
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vlaha Bukovca 6, Dubrovnik 20000, Croatia   |
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Boston, Massachusetts
“Order cocktails from the Adriatic Sea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Where to begin. We were four girls arriving with high expectations, they were exceeded! With a plan to share a suite, we were accommodated with bedding for the couch and a rollaway cot, the team providing extra towels, robes, and was on hand to make our visit exceptional. The management checked in to ensure we had what we needed. While we didn't take advantage of the concierge research, the service for lunch on site, including seaside lunches and cocktail service was excellent. My favorite moment was ordering glasses of wine while swimming in the sea...I swear the staff anticipates relaxation needs! Some areas for improvement include the spa staff, while the services were lovely, the payment process was a bit confusing and post treatment, serenity not signing paperwork is desired so try to pay in advance if you have a large group and don't want to deal with reviewing charges post zen. The boat is awesome and a fun way to get into town but try to get the schedule if you are planning dinner reservations as when we went they were taking breaks between 6-8pm, the times we wanted to boat into the Old City for dinner. Overall, amazing. You won't regret booking here!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Villa_Management, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear CarryOnOnly_CJas,

What lovely feedback.
It is always pleasing to read that a guest intends to return following a successful stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, especially for the comment regarding the service you received. This means so much to me and the team.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Best regards ,

Mirna Loncar Strazicic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
simonhutch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights earlier in the month. You will love it if you like modern clean design but be less positive if you want something more traditional. Room was a good size and we had a smashing balcony with a view of the town and the rather cool vaperetto that takes you back and forth to the bright lights over the other side of the water.

Great pool facilities, clean and very quiet. Beach area is typical of the Adriatic Coast and a little uncomfortable if you are more used to sandy beaches. Coming from Newcastle as I do and growing up thinking that Whitley Bay is the coast this is saying something. Good jogging routes also available and the views might mean you'll do a bit further than you do back at home.

Ate in the restaurant a couple of times, particularly enjoyed the outdoor terrace that is open for lunch. Unfortunately the venue on the roof was closed due to inclement weather - to be honest it was a bit like a Whitley Summer up there so they may have had a point. Breakfast was very very good quality although service was a little of the variety where it's up to you to make eye contact if you want something. You may need to ask twice.

Star of the show is a chap called Roberto - he was the one who met us at the front once we had descended the cliff. From then on hew as always very cheerful and it's a cliche to say it but nothing was too much trouble. If you ran a hospitality business you would want him up front.

Oh - did I mention the toiletries are from Bulgari? Just for once I felt I could justify taking the half full bottles back home.

Room Tip: Every room has a great view - I think rooms that are in the range 15+ (eg 115, 216, 317) may have a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Villa_Management, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear simonhutch

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at Villa Dubrovnik. I am pleased to read how much you value the overall experience of staying with us and that you enjoyed the restaurant and Spa facilities. I will share your kind feedback with everyone here and I look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Dubrovnik.

Best regards

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

While the Villa Dubrovnik is exceptional on many levels i.e. location, view, public spaces, it is not yet a five-star hotel experience. The sea-side setting does not get much better than at the Hotel Dubrovnik. The boat ride into the city was an easy way to get back and forth and the wooden boat is a fantastic means of transportation. Additionally, we found the food and service in the restaurant good and had amazing massages in the the spa.

However, if you're like me and need a good shower to start the day, then the Hotel Dubrovnik is probably not for you. The showers in the rooms were hand-showers suspended on a bar -- completely not what you would expect from a hotel at this level. Additionally, the glass doors of the shower were totally worthless at keeping water in the tub and out of the bathroom. I ended up showering at the sauna/pool area because the in-room showers were so bad (and not particularly clean with mold/mildew on the grout around the tub). We noticed the showers during the initial room tour and complained this was not what one would expect in this level of hotel. Apparently, higher priced rooms have different showers but the front desk was unable to change rooms or upgrade us as they were booked - although we only saw two other couples during our stay. I would have expected the hotel manager to contact us as we were truly disappointed in the bathroom accommodations.

Additionally, we booked a package which included massages and dinner at the restaurant. The massages were great and the dinner was very nice but when we got our bill, the dinner was included in the final bill. I called the front desk to explain that it was inclusive in our package and was told it would be removed by the time we checked out. When we checked out, the dinner was still on our bill and the front desk clerk had to phone the hotel manager who made her go over each item that we had for dinner TWICE (yes, we had the beef and the pear tart) before agreeing to remove the charges for our inclusive dinner from the bill with the exception of one bottle of water which apparently was not included. Seemed like a minute detail but consistent with the overall level of guest service.

While nice, until the service level is improved and the showers redone. I certainly wouldn't include this as a 5-star hotel or one of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World.

Room Tip: The Romance Package does not include the Romance Suite. The marketing is a little misleading. Also...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Villa_Management, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Tim G,

I was very disappointed to read your comment especially knowing that this is neither type of hotel or service that we deliver.

As per the showers I believe it is up to subjective preferences as well as a personal habits.
I need to point out that you already received upgrade in the bigger room category free of charge, rather than having the room that you paid for.
At the moment some suites were occupied, because suites are our most wanted room category, while for the others you were not willing to pay difference in price category between the room that you were already upgraded for a free and the suite.
Which means we were not able to give you 3 category upgrade that you asked for and we give you one room upgrade free of charge.

As per the packages I believe that comment is not on place at all as well.
The main reason is that at the end of the day you received something that is not the structure and procedure in the package and then give us negative rate for it.
This means that we didn’t charge you for the dinner that was not the part of the package deal.
At your check in as well as in the room you were informed about the procedure of packages and that you need to bring the voucher for dinner and before starting the dinner that you need to stress that you will use the voucher for a dinner as a package deal.
You didn’t do that. You just eat and drink what you feel like, even though everywhere, and it was especially noted at the package at the time of the booking, on you arrival and in room, the package deal means that it is set up dinner prepared by our chef which means there is certain defined thinks included in the package dinner and it is not common that people can choose whatever they want.
We always make exceptions depending on the preferences of the guests.
But we never mark it as a package deal if you do not bring the voucher and mention it, because you might use voucher for some other day.
That is why the dinner bill got to your account.
At the end we did exception again and took that final bill from you account.
But I really believe that it is very logic that packages deal includes set menu and not free option for people to eat and drink what they want and as much as they want.

To conclude I need to point out that I really appreciate any kind of comment internally in house or through our questioners or through live travel advisors and always look what we did wrong and making all efforts to improve our selves.
But this comment I do not consider relevant because you were already upgraded for free and we took the dinner check from your bill even though it was not the part of package.

Hope that you find my explanations and comments relevant and next time when you come I am sure you will have different opinion about our hotel.

Best regards,

Manchester UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We returned to Villa Dubrovnik for a Romance Forever short break, having had a wonderful stay previously at the hotel in March this year. In my opinion this is truly the best hotel in Dubrovnik, if not Croatia or indeed Europe. You are treated as VIPs from the moment you arrive and all the staff ensure that there are lots of little touches to ensure you feel truly special. One example is when we used the hotel's splendid motor launch to return to the hotel (a treat in itself) and it started to rain, the skipper - unknown to us - rang ahead and ensured that a member of staff was waiting at the hotel's jetty with umbrellas for us to ensure we did not get wet. It was only a 50 yard walk maximum to the hotel, but that level of attention to detail really stands out. The hotel's setting in itself is breathtaking, but they don't just rely on that. The rooms are superb, the restaurant serves delightful food and the spa and pool facilities are top drawer. I can't believe anyone staying at this hotel would ever have anything to complain about. We will definitely return again. It is luxury, but the standard of accommodation, service and facilities make this well worth the money.

Room Tip: It may be worth paying that little bit extra if you want a view of the city walls. Whilst all the r...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SusanManchesterUK,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave one more time your feedback following the recent stay at Villa. I was delighted to read that you had such a memorable experience, and the hotel was able to surpass all expectations. I couldn't be more proud of my whole team and I thank you for pointing out our attention to details regarding our high standards of service. Indeed we genuinely love to look after our guests . Thank you also for your kind words on restaurant and spa.

We all look forward to welcome you back.

Kindest regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Absolutely loved staying here and did not want to leave. Having read some of the more negative reviews on trip advisor i can only say that our stay was great and we were incredibly well looked after- the service here was simply excellent and the staff were super friendly, super happy to help and always smiling. Right from Roberto's greeting and tour on our arrival to the upgraded room and extended late checkout and the fantastic service in the restaurant (thank you especially to Marcel for the food and wine recommendations) we felt this was the kind of first class service you usually only find in a tiny boutique hotel, not one with this many staff and 50 or so rooms. I accept, we were lucky to be there at a time when the hotel was quiet but even so, we really felt the team went above and beyond to make us really feel like we were on holiday, and to give us every opportunity to make the most of the hotel and of Dubrovnik. I wish i could remember everyones names so i could thank them all... especially since they all remembered ours!
The rooms were sleek and airy (the website pictures dont do them justice, i actually thought they were much nicer than on the photos) and its all pretty new so the furnishings are all modern. I think all the rooms have a balcony and view which is a fantastic touch since the views are simply stunning. We had a few minor issues, which i really think is not uncommon even in a 5 star hotel, but the thing was, that all were sorted out with complete ease and no fuss, which to me, is usually far more important than the issues themselves! Complimentary tea, coffee, kettle etc and water were provided in the room.
We didn't have breakfast but ate in the restaurant several times and the food was great. We spent a lot of time on the rocky beach and in the bar area- there is a good selection of local wines and cocktails.
A fantastic service offered is the (free) speedboat service (or road service if the weather is not good) into the old town or its a 15-20 minute walk. This might sound a little far, but honestly, its better to be away from the crowds.
If i had to find something to be constructive about i would say that the gym is very basic, but it was empty every time i went in so that was not a problem. The spa, however, seemed to have lots more facilities though we didnt use it.
The hotel also has "guest services" and can arrange high end (read very expensive, though i am sure also very good and worth the money!!) tours or activities for mostly anything. I think they concentrate on trying to provide these more tailored experiences rather than knowing much about the more local companies. However, they still tried hard to find out relevant info for us to book a local tour, even when we said we did not want to go for the expensive option they offered us.
Dubrovnik itself, is a beautiful city and the people are so friendly. Stay here though and you will be happy that its only a little city, so you can see it quickly and spend the rest of your stay just relaxing at Villa Dubrovnik.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Villa_Management, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear nadineabc,

I am delighted that you had such a memorable experience during your stay at Villa Dubrovnik.

I genuinely appreciate your comments about the level of service that you experienced at our Villa. My team is dedicated to providing exceptional levels of service and it will give me a great pride to share your wonderful feedback with them.

I was also pleased to learn that you enjoyed our local wines on the bar. Thank you also for mentioning our unique Vaporetto boat service as well as rooms, which afford some of the best views that the city has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you again,

Best regards from Dubrovnik,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 week there is nothing I can say was wrong about this hotel in room 414 fantastic views swimming in the sea every day friendly and efficient staff and for A 5 * very reasonable will definitely revisit

• Stayed October 2013
Dear steve e

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at Villa Dubrovnik. I was pleased to read that your enjoyed the experience which is mirrored in your recommendation. Thank you also for highlighting the team here, I look forward to sharing your review with them.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Kindest regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This hotel has a stunning location overlooking the best-positioned view of Dubrovnik, although I can imagine walking to the old town in the heat of summer would be a sweaty exercise.
The fit-out was modern and excellent. The elevator entrance and entrance courtyard sure adds to the "drama" of the hotel.
Food was of good quality, even though I am not the biggest fan of the local cuisine.
The rooms were excellent, although the location of the TV in our room was very questionable (fixed to a stainless steel pole anchored to the floor at the foot of the bed!?)
We visited in late October which still let us swim in the sea in front of the hotel.
Based on my experience I cannot fault.

Dear acapella187,
Thank you so much for such words of praise.
I genuinely appreciate your comments about the level of service experienced at our Villa. My team is dedicated to providing exceptional levels of service and it will give me great pride to share your wonderful feedback with them. Our aim is to provide a special and true feeling of Dubrovnik at any time.

I am looking forward to welcome you back to our Villa on your next visit to Dubrovnik

Kindest Regards,
Mirna Loncar Strazicic

Been to Villa Dubrovnik? Share your experiences!