“Excellent value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Valamar Club Dubrovnik

You added Valamar Club Dubrovnik to your Saves list
Valamar Club Dubrovnik
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Iva Dulcica 38 | on the Babin Kuk peninsula, Dubrovnik 20000, Croatia   |
Ranked #32 of 70 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Norwich
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We took an allocated on arrival deal for the first time and all we knew was that we were 3 star half board...on arrival we were taken to the Valamar Club and, to our surprise, were informed that we would be semi inclusive which meant 3 meals per day plus drinks with meals..

The room was basic and smelled quite musty but was spotlessly clean and remained so during the week (thank you Maja), The hotel itself was typically Croatian (we half expected to see the little boy from The Shining cycling down the long wide corridors!). This is not a criticism as the facilties were excellent. The pool area was beautiful and we enjoyed a pre dinner drink every night in the Lobby bar in the company of either Toni or Suzana. The food was plentiful and varied although not exceptional.

The weather was perfect and Dubrovnik is just a 12 kuna bus ride away(The no 6 bus was an experience!). The bus runs to 1:30 in the morning for anyone wanting to have a night in Dubrovnik which is well worth it as the crowds diminish at night.

We took the water taxi to Cavtat which is a pretty, sophisticated little town and well worth a visit,

All in all, an excellent value holiday with no complaints

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sasa V, General Manager at Valamar Club Dubrovnik, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear guest,
On behalf of Valamar Hotels and Resorts, and me personally, I would like to thank you very much for staying in our hotel. We are grateful that you have shared with us impressions from that period.
Your comments are of tremendous importance to us, because in this way we acquire complete picture of the quality level of our services.
We appreciate your nice words s about the cleanliness of the hotel and rooms and be sure that I will pass forward your compliments to Maja, Suzana and Tonči.
In hope that we will be able to welcome you again in Valamar club Dubrovnik on your next visit, please receive my kind regards.
Hotel manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had few expectations as we had a very cheap deal for full board, but were blown away when we got there! The setting is lovely, beautiful view and a lovely pool with a little beach in a bay just beyond. The peninsular is green and wooded with a walk along by the water, and 15 minutes into the old city by a bus from the top of the road. The rooms are comfortable, not luxurious, with plenty of hot water for showers. The food was quite simple, with a wide choice for vegetarians and always fish options, and never ran out even if we were late to eat. The hotel is big and busy, but very clean- and the weather in the first week of October was perfect- warm and sunny and not too hot. Altogether a really good holiday!

Room Tip: We had a side room with no sea view and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
On behalf of Valamar Hotels and Resorts, and me personally, I would like to thank you very much for sending your valuable review on Valamar club Dubrovnik hotel, and taking the time to share your experience with other travelers.
We are very happy to read your positive impressions from your holiday in Dubrovnik.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is our last day here, at Club Valamar which is in a wonderful setting,we had the first week in October, weather hot and sunny by day (but we believe from the locals that this is not the norm)but a lot cooler at night.I don't want to repeat what others have said previously, but this holiday has been really good value.It's not grand luxury or haute cuisine, if you want that you can go to the larger sister hotels Valomar President or Valomar Lacroma but you will pay more, only be on half board, & you won't get the cosy, friendly atmosphere that you get from Club Valomar , we met and spent time with some lovely people. All the staff work constantly to make the guests' stay comfortable, entertainment is held down by the pool by the versatile, hard working entertainment staff.You'll have to wear a wristband to be able to have full board (their term being All Inclusive Light,which is not as we know it!)the dining room &kitchen staff work really hard, food is plentiful and constantly being refreshed, although some weird and wonderful concoctions but you have to bear in mind that they are catering for many different nationalities (& not a chip in sight)As a vegetarian I did struggle at first but managed to find plenty to choose from and enjoyed everything I had.It can seem to be a bit of a bunfight but once you get into the routine of securing your table by putting drinks on it and not both(if there's just the 2 of you)leaving the table at once to get your next course(the staff clear the tables very quickly!) you'll be fine.Get a card from reception to take to the pool for use of their beach towels. Take comfortable walking shoes to discover all the coastal walks. The beach is just below the pool but be aware that it's concrete, rocks, pebbles and shingle as most are in the area, not somewhere we chose to park ourselves, we stayed by the pool. Prices are very reasonable,the currency is Kuna(approx 8.5 to the £) but you will need euros if you do the Montenegro tour. Altogether a lovely holiday!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sasa V, General Manager at Valamar Club Dubrovnik, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear guest,
On behalf of Valamar Hotels and Resorts, and me personally, allow me to thank you for your stay in hotel Valamar club Dubrovnik and your nice review which is the best confirmation that we are doing good job. We are glad that you have recognized efforts of every department to make your stay unforgettable and I assure you I will pass forward your kind words to our employees.
We are looking forward to welcome you back in our hotel on you next trip to Dubrovnik.
In meantime, please receive my kind regards.
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

just got back from a Newmarket holiday to Dubrovnik and had a really great time with better than expected weather.The hotel is well situated to get into Dubrovnik by bus.Buy your tickets at the hotel(cost 12 kunar each way)and catch it at the Hotel President which is the terminus and get off at The Pile Gate which is the terminus the other end and is also the main entry to the old town.
The hotel is well worth the money with a wonderful choice of buffet food and wine,beer and soft drinks , if all inclusive, included during the evening meal.The restaurant can get very full ,but find a space and claim it!
The rooms are basic ,but if you can put up with this ,fine, just try not to spend to much time in them.
As for Newmarket Holidays ,I do not think they put as much effort into looking after you as they could have done,and indeed have done on previous trips taken with them ,to Italy etc.
The excursions to Mostar and Montenegro were very long with a great deal of time spent on the coach.The time and trouble getting through the various border crossings was amazing,the worst being the crossing into Bosnia on the trip to Mostar( 50 MINS GOING AND 40 MINS COMING BACK)This 10 hour trip gave us about 2 hours in Mostar.
The trip into Dubrovnik with Newmarket is a waste off money.You can do the same yourself by going in on the bus and arrangeing a guide at the Pile gate. Doing this you will save money and have more time.
As for Lilly,yes she is great but not the cats,way to many of them!!!
Lastly,do take the cable car ride to the heights overlooking the Old Town,what a view.
I will return but will stay at the Valamar Lacroma Hotel for that extra bit of luxury.

Room Tip: dont take room 1001 as this is almost underground and there is no lift down to it
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sasa V, General Manager at Valamar Club Dubrovnik, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear guest,
I can assure you that quality and courteous service is our on-going task and that we will continue to make your stay in our premises special.
If you are looking more luxury hotel, then for sure, hotel Lacroma is a great choice for you.
We are very pleased to read you choose Valamar hotels for your future stay in Dubrovnik.

Best regards,
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I would recommend this hotel in Dubrovnik for the following reasons
Pros

Excellent location in a quiet area but with a good bus service to the centre of town. A few minutes walk takes you to the bus station (which is really just the end of the line!)

Very clean, bright rooms. A few English TV channels . Bathroom is extremely small but is redeemed by a fantastic shower with toiletries and a hair dryer supplied.

The grounds of the hotel are lovely, plenty of shady areas. The public beach is accessed through a gate just beyond the pool.

We enjoyed the food. As always with buffets it sometimes could have been hotter. We ate the food from the grill which was guaranteed to be hot and the chips were excellent!

The hotel is set among others on a peninsula. We took lots of walks through the trees and also along the coastal paths. The views are stunning.

We didn't have much need to use the Animation team but I heard good reports about them.

All staff we met were friendly and helpful

Cons
Very little to complain about.

The pool was freezing! Hats off to those brave souls who entered the chilly water-we couldn't.

The beach was very clean but is entirely made up of pebbles and very hard to walk on. The local shops do sell swim shoes if you must swim in the sea.

We had a great time and would enjoy another visit there.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel have wonderful views but you'll pay extra.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
On behalf of Valamar Hotels and Resorts, and me personally, I thank you very much for staying in our hotel. We are very happy to read you had a nice time and that you are satisfied with our service and hotel cleanliness.
Your comments are of tremendous importance to us, because in this way we acquire complete picture of the quality level of our services, and they provide us with objectives and directions towards continual improvements.
In the meantime, please receive my kind regards.
pula
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

It pleases me most to put in a few words after staying here several times. No matter what brings you here, the location of VCD is superb, surrounding area is irresistible, it is nice and clean everywhere you go in and around hotel, and there is everybody's pet Lilly to welcome you though the only thing this poor fatty does is blinking her eyes, she's a dear! I bet she remembers me and dislikes me as I'm possibly one of this weird creatures that never give her any food. Sorry about that Lilly. Believe it or not, I love you. Hence I'd like to see you again next time I'm here, you gorgeous all-u-can-eat Monster! How handy for you to stick around, mind, some of us come here for the same reason(or should I better say all u can drink?). People, You will have a lot of fun here.
I have one more thing on my mind, and it's telling everyone who wishes to know that entire Valamar Club Dubrovnik staff is as efficient, helpful and friendly they can be. Nothing is too much trouble for them and even when being a bit fussy, they will do their best for you and simply say: “You are our guest and we are here to make you happy.“ My thanks to reception. You are doing a great job!
t.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

On behalf of Valamar Hotels and Resorts, and me personally, I would like to thank you very much for sending your valuable review on Valamar club Dubrovnik hotel, and taking the time to share your experience with other travellers. We are honored that you have chosen us repeatedly for your stay in Dubrovnik and delighted to get back such positive comments about hotel cleanliness, service, and friendliness of our staff and especially about Lilly.
Once again thank you for your recommendation.
We are looking forward to welcome you back in our hotel. In the meantime, please receive my kind regards.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I have just got back yesterday from this fab hotel. The staff are fantastic.
They make you feel special and are always helpfull.

Hotel
The hotel is spotless and the gardens leading down to the pool are lovely.The hotel is only a ten minuate bus journey to the old city on a number 6 bus which runs every three minuates from the bus station. It gets really full so its best to get on at the bus station to get a seat. You can buy a 1 day,three day,or 7 day bus pass from the hotel.1 day pass costs 130HRK,3 day 180HRK or 7 day 220HRK they all include the cost of the city walls and 5 museums and two Galleries which it works out a lot cheaper.

Rooms
Our room was a standard room but it was cleaned every day which also includes the changing of the sheets and towels.The cleaners are all very friendly and work really hard.

The food was excellent.The choices were amazing and plenty to chose from.The cakes are to die for. It gets really busy at breakfast lunch and dinner but the waiters are for ever making sure the tables are kept clean at all times.You will always find something to eat even if you are a fancy eater.

Dubrovnik
What can I say it is incrediable.We walked the city wall and from the top it has amazing views all around the city. Dubrovnik at night is a wonderfull site to see.
We went on a day trip to Mostar which is a bit scary as it is across the mountains and the roads are very narrow but the views are wonderfull. Really enjoyed the trip.

We would like to give a BIG BIG thank you to all the hotel staff .We had a amazing holiday and would return to Dubrovnik.The people are so friendly.

Dear guest,
On behalf of all Valamar club Dubrovnik staff, allow me to express my gratitude for your nice comments about our hotel.
Your remarks are very valuable to us and it is very nice to hear that you had lovely stay especially thanks to our staff. I strongly believe they are our greatest value. We are glad that you have recognized efforts of every department to make your stay unforgettable and I assure you I will pass forward your kind words to our employees.
Valamar club Dubrovnik aims to make every guest happy and that he leaves with a smile. Your review is the best confirmation we are on the right way to do that.
We will be happy to welcome you back on your next trip to Dubrovnik.
Best regards,
Hotel manager

Been to Valamar Club Dubrovnik? Share your experiences!