“An experience that I will always remember.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Dubrovnik at a glance
Ranked #16 of 70 hotels in Dubrovnik
New York City
“An experience that I will always remember.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

I have traveled around the world and stayed in 5 star hotels, in Amsterdam, China, Puerto Rico, Spain, Greece, but in the Grand Villa Argentina the staff had a relaxed competence and personal touch that made our stay unforgettable. The hotel manager was always willing to pick up bags and help us in any way possible. The customer service manager went out of her way to get us a room with sea view. During the exquisite breakfast, the staff attend to every detail. The location was perfect, a breath taking view of the old town and only few minutes walking distance. What can I say, I did not want to leave.
Dr. GT, New York City.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

623 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

We got a little surprised when we arrived at the hotel. We had booked a room with a sea view, we got a room at the first floor and when I opened the courtains I could only see trees covering the whole view. We did not even get any light in the room. After the first excuses saying that the hotel was complete I mentioned that I would not definitely pay the sea view for that room and all of a sudden they found another room with a nice view.

The hotel is very well located only 10 minutes walk from the old city. I loved to have breakfast at the terrace with an incredibly nice view of Dubrovnik. But I think the hotel advantages stop there. The first night we went for dinner to the hotel restaurant. We are not too picky for restaurants we we almost did not touch the 100 EUR/person dinner (and we were hungry).

The rooms are decorated like in many two stars hotels (pensions ?) around the mediterraneum, but the price was still as in one five stars hotel.

I do not know if there are better choices for hotels in Dubrovnik. We didn't find it trough Internet. And this is the sad thing about this wonderful city. It will still need some years until they reach the service and confort for the tourist, that you find in the other mediterrenean countries.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Surrey, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

We stayed in the Hotel Argentina for 10 days in August. The location is fabulous: fantastic views of the sea, islands and Dubrovnik, tree lined terraces, rocky shoreline. If only the management could move beyond its 3 star mentality it would be a great destination. The director [Mario Matkovic] and Guest Relations Manager [Lindita Zecevic] need to stop communicating with guests via memos and get out and talk to them. Maybe then they'd pick up the many small details that are being missed and make this a 5 star hotel. A trip to Asia would give them an idea how it should be done. Examples: guests should not have to find waiters to get poolside service, dirty glasses in rooms should be removed the same day, there should be enough sun loungers for all guests [yes, we know it's August - we're paying the premium!], beer cans should not be left on the floor in public places, gardners should be told not to use equipment next to breakfast terrace while guests are having breakfast etc etc. All these things may sound picky, but 5 star hotels manage to do them.
Apart from the beach [actually terrace] restaurant, avoid eating in the hotel. We were disappointed by the quality of the cooking in the Victoria restaurant although the service was good. Breakfast is mediocre. The spa worked well for us and we enjoyed the treatments and service.
The sea water pool is OK but is not filtered and becomes a bit soupy by the end of the day. You have to hope that little boys ask their mothers to take them to the toilet! The sea by contrast is fabulous: clean , clear and chilly. Great to dive in from the rocks [there's no beach]
The guests were an interesting, cosmopolitan crowd and generally friendly. There were few small children and that was probably for the best. The pool area is too crowded to run around and there's quite a drop to the sea
Does this mean that we wouldn't recommend Hotel Argentina? Funnily enough, no. We may even go back ourselves, having first written to Mario to tell him to deliver on his 5 star promise. If you're thinking of going, maybe you should do the same.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
matkov, Hotel Manager at Grand Villa Argentina, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you on your comments you have posted on this site.
We agree with you that it would be nice to meet guests and discuss their feeling in hotel which we do on a daily basic. This is the reason why Lindita and myslef send a memo to each guest. We want that our guest know who to contact in hotel and who we are.

Please have in mind that it is sometimes hard to meet all guest but whenever called we are there for you. I am very sorry that you have not contact us or left us a message to meet with you while you were staying with us.

While our team members here at the Grand Villa Argentina are trained and motivated to extend every courtesy and service, I do recognize that occasionally we may not have exceeded your expectations. Therefore I would like for you to accept my sincere apologize. It is our concern to make your visit in our hotel enjoyable as possible, from the first contact till the end of stay.

We hope we shall meet next time you stay with us.

Best regards

Mario Matkovic
Hotel Manager
MV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Staying at the GVA was the highlight of our trip to Croatia. The hotel was beautiful but the real highlight is the location and magical views. Our room overlooked the sea and upon sticking my head out of the window I was greeted with the postcard view of the old town. The room was clean and most importantly quiet. The pool area is fantastic!

Horsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

This is going to be a rather lukewarm review! I have nothing significant to object to and if you have booked a stay at the Argentina, don't panic, you aren't going to hate it. However, I have stayed in a lot of 4 and 5 star hotels and this didn't really commend itself to me as a high quality hotel.

I'll start off with the good things. The hotel is close to the Old Town - it's a 10 minute walk along a coast road with charming views of Lokrum Island and the Old Town itself. I would also compliment the hotel on the excellent way that it blends with its surroundings. From the Old Town it's actually hard to tell where the Agentina is because it has been so artfully built into the rocks and set behind trees. It's really impressive that such a large building - 7 storeys, no less, is so well blended into its surroundings. (The Radisson group, who have contructed a hideous carbuncle that ruins a picturesque bay a few miles down the coast could learn a lot from the Argentina). The outdoor breakfast area is lovely and the views wonderful. I also liked their little saltwater pool, and easy access to the sea via a little ladder. The hotel is nicely decorated and I found reception helpful.

There is a small gym which is air-conditioned and does not play any music. This pleased me enormously - I like to listen to my MP3 in the gym, not someone else's choice which I am pretty likely to hate. My OH found some of the weight machines a bit basic and he swears blind that the weights weren't what was marked on them. There weren't any free weights but there were towels and a jug of chilled water. Bizarrely however, there were only two glasses which was a bit annoying when OH and I arrived to find two other people already there and the galsses already used. The other problem with that was that one of them was on the only running machine and the other on the only bike. The gym does rather rely on there being only 1 or 2 people in it!

There are three PCs on the third floor which you can pitch up and use without charge.

So, what are my niggles?
The main one is that the rooms are disappointingly small. I have stayed in 4/5* hotels where the rooms aren't large but this has always been because the hotel is smack in the middle of a very old city where space is at a premium. The Argentina is a huge hotel, outside the Old Town itself and really has no excuse for such small rooms other than cashing in on cramming in as many people as possible. There are a reasonable number of drawers, but some pieces of furniture did seem to be rather on top of others becasue of the lack of space. The bathroom was also pretty titchy - just the one freestanding sink lined up next to the loo and the bath and just enough space to open the door. I would have expected a spacious bathroom, ideally two sinks, and these set in a nice counter with cupboards below. There was no room for a cupboard, so all our toiletries sat on a shelf under the mirror.
In a 5* hotel, I expect to find a good quality hairdryer in my dressing table, with adjustable heat and speed settings. Instead I had one those dreadful tube things fixed to the wall above the loo. It had one speed and one temperature. It was too fast for styling my hair and too slow for drying it quickly.
The room has no spare power sockets, so the only way to plug in my straighteners, or recharge my iPod, camera battery or phone was to unplug one of the lamps.
None of these things are the end of the world of course, but it did not meet with my expectations for a 5* hotel.
On the plus side, the safe was a good size, and I reckon you could fit a laptop into it if you wished. I also found the bed comfortable.

My other disappointment was with breakfast, which was a very ordinary and uninspired buffet. The eggs were not cooked fresh, the selection was not all that extensive and a number of sliced or peeled food items were not covered and therefore settled on by flies. I was pleased to see a hot tray labelled "Grilled vegetables" but unfortunately, having grilled the veggies, they had then left them sitting in a pool of oil....
It took a while to get offered tea of coffee most mornings - the staff were always more interested in clearing the tables, sorting the crockery, cutlery and rubbish onto their trolleys with an astonishing slowness. They would rarely bother with your table before you left it, so if you had a cereal then a hot plate then some bread, all your previous used crockery would just be left on your table. I can't remember staying anywhere, even motels or B&B's where your dirty crockery isn't cleared while you are up getting your next plateful. Breakfast starts at 6.00, which is great if you want to go out for a long day. In theory it finishes at 10.30 - in practice, 'finishing at 10.30' means that the last tables are cleared and the scrap of food is whisked away at 10.30. They stop putting fresh food out around 10.00 and the one time we arrived just after 10.00 (in our defence, we had been been to the gym first!) the waiting staff ignored us so studiously, we assumed that we had made a mistake and that breakfast must have finished at 10.00. We ended up buying a coffee in town!

My final grumble is that the hotel is described (in the Inghams brochure at least) as being set in a 'lush tropical park". We were therefore somewhat surprised that the "Park View" that our room was described as enjoying, was actually a car park! But that particular deceit may be down to Inghams rather then the Argentina.

So, nothing all that awful and if you offered to pay for me spend a week there I wouldn't turn you down, For my own money, I'd probably go somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

we enjoyed ourselves immensely at argentina. the position of the hotel to the old town and the island of lokrum is outstanding. the views from there are wonderful and the hospitality was great, especially front desk staff. large beach gives you feeling of privacy and the bar under the pine trees will be hard to ever forget. cheers!

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

I booked the Grand Villa Argentina for a 9 night stay from 12 June largely after reading the reviews - something Ive never done before because reviews are very subjective things and include a lot of personal opinion - one mans trash etc...

When we arrived I presented my prepaid voucher for a room in the Villa Argentina building only to be allocated a room in the Villa Glavic which is the annexed building over the road.

This was one of the smallest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in for a 5 star property. I work in the industry and travel a lot - Ive stayed in small rooms in Paris, Rome, New York but this was *small*. Not large enough for the two of us for 2 cases for 9 nights. I know its just a place to sleep but I do expect to be able to move around my room freely.

I enquired at reception about changing and whilst initially very helpful, explained they were full, could not allocate me a room in Villa Argentina despite my pre-paid voucher and refused to contact the booking agent on my behalf to try to resolve the issue. The hotel wasnt full - its a large hotel and even just the breakfast turnout, poolside population etc would tell you the hotel was far from full.

Notwithstanding this, the facilities were ok - nice pool area with stunning views to the old port, pretty grounds within the main building.

I would avoid the beach bar/restaurant - you expect to pay inflated hotel prices in these places but I also expect this to be reflected in the quality of what you're given. This certainly wasnt the case here. Poor quality badly put together salads, pastas and sandwiches at more than twice the price of good restaurants in town. This is something the hotel really needs to address.

Poolside attendants were quite helpful though the hotel does permit non residents to use the pool/bathing platforms.

I couldnt fault the location of the hotel - easy 10 minute walk to the walls of the old town but I felt the room really let the place down.

I wouldnt stay here again and would recommend anyone considering it to perhaps shop around and look for something which will give you value for money.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
matkov, Manager at Grand Villa Argentina, responded to this review, July 3, 2009
We are very suprised to see this comment on Tripadvisor knowing that guests have booked particular room and were upgraded when it was possible.

Our rooms are meeting all 5 star criteria (one of them is how spacious are) therefore it is not correct that room was too small.

Hotel was fully booked as we did not have reason to leave the guests in the room they did not like if we had any rooms to give them.

We had conference going on and that is why they did not see many guests at the pool (conference guests worked all afternoons in conference halls).

Been to Grand Villa Argentina? Share your experiences!