“Beautiful outlook...just above average rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Villa Argentina
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Frana Supila 14, Dubrovnik 20000, Croatia   |
Ranked #19 of 70 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Melbourne, Australia
“Beautiful outlook...just above average rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The outlook, surrounds, access to the water are all fantastic. The ambience is just great. The looks are just a little too old style and heavy for my liking and small. A few others have said the same thing..the rooms need a refresh but location, aspect and surrounds were just great.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sanela O, Assistant to Hotel Director at Grand Villa Argentina, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Grand Villa Argentina and writing review about our hotel.
I am glad that you liked ambience, we will take in consideration comment regarding room.

We hope that you will stay with us again

Sanela Omercahic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

To put in context, we had been traveling for two months throughout the Balkans staying in hotels ranging from $80/night to $600/night. This was by far our favourite.
What we loved:
- daily brunch with champagne overlooking amazing view. The food was mediocre but view made up for it.
- the pool area - Croatia does not have amazing sand beaches; the majority if their coastline is rock so if u come here with expectations of an amazing sandy beach you will be disappointed. How ever we loved lying in our beach chairs with an amazing view of Dubrovnik old town. Also loved the little nooks around the beach area so that you could feel like you were off on your own if u chose to.
- proximity to old town is unbeatable. Far enough away that you aren't swimming with boats, but close enough it's an easy walk.
What we didn't like:
- the service was very mediocre. You always had to ask. For example, I drink tea with breakfast and we always felt like we had to chase people down to get a tea. Wish they had just had a self serve area.
- concierge was awful and virtually useless. How ever when I went to front desk so that they could make a dinner reservation for us they were extremely helpful. Issue was mainly with concierge and restaurants.
- rooms are nothing special and lack view due to layout of hotel. The rest if the hotel makes up for it tho...
We spent our days enjoying a leisurely brunch followed by a swim/relaxing around the pool followed by a walk into town for an afternoon latte or gelato people watching in one of the gorgeous squares followed by another swim and watching the sunset over Dubrovnik town before heading back into town for a late dinner and drinks. We stayed for almost two weeks and I could have stayed longer.
We also stayed briefly at Dubrovnik palace hotel and there was no comparison. The palace was too pretentious and too far from the old town. See review...

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Grand Villa Argentina for your vacation and for taking time to write such detaild review.
I am glad that we were your favourite hotel.
Thank you for dividing and writing all things you liked and disliked, we will take all of them into consideration.
We hope you will come and be our guest again and enjoy even more next time.

Wimbledon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

OK, so we were very lucky to get a free upgrade to the best room in the Hotel (if you can get room 614 it's a must for the view and a nice quiet older side of the hotel - and thanks again to the desk folk) but even without that, the breakfasts are superb in a great setting, and you are far enough removed from the bustle of Dubrovnik proper - just a nice stroll from the Old Town. October was a great time to go and we were lucky with the weather. Very helpful concierge staff, nice range facilities, pools (indoor and out) very pretty and unspoilt location. Superb holiday.

Room Tip: Get a room at the front of the older part of the hotel - recommend 614.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Grand Villa Argentina and writing review about our hotel!
I am glad to see that you liked your stay in our hotel, room, facilites and staff.
We hope that you will stay with us again and if you do please put a request for room in Villa Argentina so we can ensure your accommodation there.

Fontainebleau, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights and it was a great overall experience.
The staff was warm and friendly (even during a 4.30 am checkout). The hotel rooms could use a makeover, but that was hardly an issue. Comfortable beds, closet space etc. Bathrooms were spacious and clean.
The location is amazing - 10 min walk to old town. The highlight of the hotel is the outdoor swimming pool area, next to the sea. Sunsets from there are something to experience.
Breakfast overlooking the sea and old town is a delight. Overall a great place and highly recommended!

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are the best
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying in our hotel and writing such a nice review!
I am hlad to see that you enjoyed your stay and that you were satisfied with our staff and facilities.
Thank you for reccomending us and we hope that you will be our guest again.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Its all about the view - to Lokrum Island and the old city of Dubrovnik. Huge breakfast choice taken on a lovely terrace with the view to Lokrum Island and the old city of Durovnik. Lovely rooms and beautiful pool area.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and taking your time to write review about our hotel.
I am very glad to see that you liked our hotel and that you enjoyed your stay.
We hope that we will have opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel.

Rushden England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This was our first visit to Dubrovnik. We stayed (2 couples) from 29 Sept – 6 October. We were delighted with the hotel, the facilities and the staff. Impressive breakfasts overlooking the sea, the Island of Lokrum and the Old Town. If you do visit this fine hotel, make sure you enjoy a cocktail in the Victoria Lounge – overlooking the Old Town and watching impressive sunsets. Whilst we were there, very few people seemed to know about this lounge (or possibly just didn’t use it). Happy hour from 6.00 – 9.00pm!!. Note to the hotel - tell more people about this when they check in – and more importantly give them a location map to find the lounge.
So much has been written about this hotel on TA from the point of view of the room standard and location. We had seaview rooms – one where the view was slightly obscured by trees but this was never a problem but with no balcony and the other in the older part of the hotel but with a balcony.
Would we return to Dubrovnik and the Grand Villa Argentina – no doubt about it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for stayin in Grand Villa Argentina and writing review about our hotel!
I am very glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our facilities.
Sincerely we hope that you will be our guest again.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had booked a sea view room via hotels.com and also requested it be on 6th or 7th floor. When I arrived to check in I was told by a lady at reception that I hadn't been allocated a seaview room. I showed her the voucher stating i had paid in full in advance for a seaview room. "Ah it is our mistake, not hotels.com, we have a seaview room available for you. None are available on 6th or 7th floor though." I asked her to check again as I wasn't convinced. "Ah yes we have a room on 6th floor." Get it right first time please, at these prices. I have had simpler check ins at 2 or 3 star hotels. I had also asked to be at end of corridor as quieter, but she put me at beginning of corridor. I didn't push this further. It was quite quiet anyway as there is a good quality of guest at this hotel, mainly middle aged.
The views are outstanding with terrific sunsets. Dinner in restaurant was tasty but the portions are small and overpriced. Service staff very good. Breakfast average. Gym inadequate, no free weights at all, just a few machines. No games room. My room was clean, especially the bedding which is important. Pillows a bit too high, you have to thump them or wake up with a stiff neck. Room a bit tatty in places, some peeling plaster in bathroom.
Run in number two with reception was when I asked to reserve a place on the airport shuttle bus which I hoped would pick me up at the hotel. Young guy said I had to walk down the hill to a small tourist office and book it there. OK, I knew the office as I had passed it earlier. Went down there but was told there is no hotel pick up airport shuttle bus. Have to get on the airport bus (it's a big bus run by Atlas Travel - avoid the touts in private minibuses that will try and pick you up) at bus stop next to cable car and pay on bus, on the day, can't reserve. I did that in the end and journey cost 5 Euros, took 20 mins and bus empty, but better for most to pay 25 euros for a taxi as is a trek with a bag. Receptionist should have known this, it is a bread and butter question, not difficult. To be fair another woman on reception knew this and gave me a timetable when I asked for it later, so it seems I had bad luck with who served me. No consistency.
The hotel is too near the beautiful Old Town for a taxi or bus, but it is a bit of a walk in addition to your sightseeing and it helps to be fit if you stay at this hotel. Book tours that will pick you up and take you around, if you're not fit.
I recommend a day trip to Montenegro with Adriatic-Explore.com
I would say this is a 4 star hotel not 5. Overall I enjoyed my stay despite a few issues.

Room Tip: Stand your ground with reception. lol
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Comments regarding reception honestly surprise me and moreover ones regarding your transfer to the airport. I am sorry that you experienced these difficulties.
Thank you for all other comments which we will take into consideration.
In the end I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will visit us again.

Sanela Omercahic

Been to Grand Villa Argentina? Share your experiences!