“Wonderful Hotel in a wonderful location” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Villa Argentina
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Frana Supila 14, Dubrovnik 20000, Croatia   |
Ranked #19 of 70 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Hotel in a wonderful location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Its all about the view - to Lokrum Island and the old city of Dubrovnik. Huge breakfast choice taken on a lovely terrace with the view to Lokrum Island and the old city of Durovnik. Lovely rooms and beautiful pool area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sanela O, Assistant to Hotel Director at Grand Villa Argentina, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and taking your time to write review about our hotel.
I am very glad to see that you liked our hotel and that you enjoyed your stay.
We hope that we will have opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel.

Sanela Omercahic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Rushden England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This was our first visit to Dubrovnik. We stayed (2 couples) from 29 Sept – 6 October. We were delighted with the hotel, the facilities and the staff. Impressive breakfasts overlooking the sea, the Island of Lokrum and the Old Town. If you do visit this fine hotel, make sure you enjoy a cocktail in the Victoria Lounge – overlooking the Old Town and watching impressive sunsets. Whilst we were there, very few people seemed to know about this lounge (or possibly just didn’t use it). Happy hour from 6.00 – 9.00pm!!. Note to the hotel - tell more people about this when they check in – and more importantly give them a location map to find the lounge.
So much has been written about this hotel on TA from the point of view of the room standard and location. We had seaview rooms – one where the view was slightly obscured by trees but this was never a problem but with no balcony and the other in the older part of the hotel but with a balcony.
Would we return to Dubrovnik and the Grand Villa Argentina – no doubt about it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for stayin in Grand Villa Argentina and writing review about our hotel!
I am very glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our facilities.
Sincerely we hope that you will be our guest again.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had booked a sea view room via hotels.com and also requested it be on 6th or 7th floor. When I arrived to check in I was told by a lady at reception that I hadn't been allocated a seaview room. I showed her the voucher stating i had paid in full in advance for a seaview room. "Ah it is our mistake, not hotels.com, we have a seaview room available for you. None are available on 6th or 7th floor though." I asked her to check again as I wasn't convinced. "Ah yes we have a room on 6th floor." Get it right first time please, at these prices. I have had simpler check ins at 2 or 3 star hotels. I had also asked to be at end of corridor as quieter, but she put me at beginning of corridor. I didn't push this further. It was quite quiet anyway as there is a good quality of guest at this hotel, mainly middle aged.
The views are outstanding with terrific sunsets. Dinner in restaurant was tasty but the portions are small and overpriced. Service staff very good. Breakfast average. Gym inadequate, no free weights at all, just a few machines. No games room. My room was clean, especially the bedding which is important. Pillows a bit too high, you have to thump them or wake up with a stiff neck. Room a bit tatty in places, some peeling plaster in bathroom.
Run in number two with reception was when I asked to reserve a place on the airport shuttle bus which I hoped would pick me up at the hotel. Young guy said I had to walk down the hill to a small tourist office and book it there. OK, I knew the office as I had passed it earlier. Went down there but was told there is no hotel pick up airport shuttle bus. Have to get on the airport bus (it's a big bus run by Atlas Travel - avoid the touts in private minibuses that will try and pick you up) at bus stop next to cable car and pay on bus, on the day, can't reserve. I did that in the end and journey cost 5 Euros, took 20 mins and bus empty, but better for most to pay 25 euros for a taxi as is a trek with a bag. Receptionist should have known this, it is a bread and butter question, not difficult. To be fair another woman on reception knew this and gave me a timetable when I asked for it later, so it seems I had bad luck with who served me. No consistency.
The hotel is too near the beautiful Old Town for a taxi or bus, but it is a bit of a walk in addition to your sightseeing and it helps to be fit if you stay at this hotel. Book tours that will pick you up and take you around, if you're not fit.
I recommend a day trip to Montenegro with Adriatic-Explore.com
I would say this is a 4 star hotel not 5. Overall I enjoyed my stay despite a few issues.

Room Tip: Stand your ground with reception. lol
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Grand Villa Argentina and writing review about our hotel.
Comments regarding reception honestly surprise me and moreover ones regarding your transfer to the airport. I am sorry that you experienced these difficulties.
Thank you for all other comments which we will take into consideration.
In the end I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will visit us again.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

OK, so much of the interior could use an update. The changing rooms at the spa (which you'll need to shower and change due to normal flight times not lining up at ALL with check out time) are more than a bit grotty. Compared to the rest of our experience, I say 'big deal'. The location is terrific: close enough to the old city to be an easy walk, far enough that one doesn't get run over by mobs of cruisers. The outdoor drinks lounge has an AMAZING view of the old city at sunset, a can't-miss. But what made our stay really special? The concierge, Julia, was just wonderful. Not only were all of her recommendations spot on, not only did she accommodate our ever changing restaurant reservations without a hitch, she noted my birthday in our reservation months ahead of time, and sent a bottle of wine and flowers to our room. We almost fell over. The staff overall was lovely, and the pool? Spectacular. Villa Argentina is a great option. I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Facing the sea. Accept no substitutes!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Sanela O, Assistant to Hotel Director at Grand Villa Argentina, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and writing review about our hotel!
We are glad that you spent nice holidays in our hotel and that you were satisfied with our staff and services offered.
As you wrote that you would come back again we would be more than happy to welcome you.

Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I cannot say enough wonderful things about this hotel. The rooms are fabulous with huge bathrooms with Bulgari amenities, super comfy beds with a tasty hazelnut chocolate treat placed on your pillow with the evening turndown service, fantastic views of the walled city of old town Dubrovnik (especially at night) and the Adriatic Sea, the buffet breakfast of all buffet breakfasts complete with champagne (all included for free with your room), friendly staff, a gorgeous infinity edge pool, a relaxing outdoor terrace bar with the best caipirinhas outside of Latin America, and all within a quick 5-10 minute walk of the Walled City. Stay here. I promise you will NOT be disappointed. Do yourself a favor and get a seaside room view or a seaside balcony room.

Room Tip: Seaside view or seaside balcony is a must for most gorgeous views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and writing such a nice review!
I am very glad to see that you spent nice holidays in our hotel and that our facilities and services met you expectations.
We hope that you will be our guest again.

Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

A terrific location that enhanced the Dubrovnik experience. However, the room was small, and the quality of service could have been better. The breakfast area was lovely, but the food was mediocre. Some of the members on the staff were a little distant at first but warmed up towards the end of our trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sanela O, Assistant to Hotel Director at Grand Villa Argentina, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying in our hotel and writing review.
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, but we will take all your comments into consideration.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I'm suprised to read some of the reviews by fellow guests who feel that this hotel shouldn't be ranked as 5 star, of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but I wonder if we were staying in a completely different hotel!? We were fortunate enough to have our wedding reception at GVA on the Victoria Terrace and I have to say that the hotel lived up to our expectations in terms of its position & outlook, decor, quality of the rooms and communal areas and exquistite food, which by the way is prepared under the supervision of one of the Chefs who was invited to prepare the wedding dinner for Prince William and Kate. The food quality & presentation was amazing & our room just beautiful. I found the staff to be attentive and helpful. The only slighly negative comment I could make is that unfortunately a small corner of a glass table was cracked by accident by a guest and the hotel charged us for this, which I found a little unreasonable given in normal circumstances a hotel would have insurance provision for accidental damage.

Thank you GVA for making our short time spent with you a great experience. I highly recommend guests to stay here.

Room Tip: We had a corner deluxe room overlooking the sea and it was simply stunning. I think it was room 903!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to congratulate you and I am very glad that you were stisfied with your wedding reception in Victoria Restaurant. We are aware that it was the most important day for you and we always try to make it unforgettable.
We truly hope that you will come and celebrate your anniversary in our hotel, if you decide please contact us.

Sanela Omercahic

Been to Grand Villa Argentina? Share your experiences!