“enchanting!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Valamar Dubrovnik President Hotel

You added Valamar Dubrovnik President Hotel to your Saves list
Valamar Dubrovnik President Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Iva Dulcica 142 | Babin kuk Complex, Dubrovnik 20000, Croatia   |
Ranked #16 of 70 Hotels in Dubrovnik
dublin ireland
“enchanting!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Where do I start? well, I thought all arrangements were in place for the wedding I was attending in Croatia, Dubrovnik, as I had booked and paid to stay in the Uvala hotel in april chosen because of other reviews and proximity to wedding venue. Imagine my upset, when I arrived at 4.30 the day before the wedding to find before I got out of the taxi I was handed a letter from a member of staff saying I was being relocated to one of their other hotels, across the bay. After some persuasion ,I agreed to go to the hotel, well it was the best decision I could have made. The Hotel is situated in a lovely area surrounded by beautiful shrubs, trees and plants. When you walk into the foyer there is a great feeling of space and light, and the porthole windows at one level make it feel like a super yacht!. Lovely staff greeted me at the reception with a welcome drink, and apologised for the initial disappointment. On arrival in the room I found a card asking what sort of pillow I prefer!, a very spacous room with an anormous terrace with table and chairs and a view to die for. So you get my drift I was very happy with the unplanned relocation. If you like an outdoor resturant with a fabulous view refined tables and chairs, with pink and white table clothes and sail like awning overhead, then you won't be disappointed there. If you prefer to have breakfast inside, the restaurant is equally as elegant. Breakfast is an award winning occasion, to suit many nationalities. There are too many 5 star attributes in the hotel, to list here,e.g panoramic lift, gorgeous outdoor lunch resturant, beach area, for which swimming shoes are recommended. I may sound like somebody from the croatian tourist board, and I am not, but the hotel will officially be branded 5 star in 2014, as it is being further refurbished.
The wedding I attended was enchanting, as the church was in the old town which has to be seen to be appreciated for atmosphere.Also the resturant near Ploce gate where we had a barbecue the following day that was like a scene from the recent poplular movie, mama mia for atmosphere!It was situated at the top of the road up from ploce gate,down steps with a view of a bay, and had lovely lanterns and atmosphere. So Croatia ,Dubrovnik has been am amazing holiday destination find, the drive from the airport to the city is like the amalfi coast somewhat, with out the hairpin bends!! Also the Dubrovnik Palace where the wedding reception was held was stunning, but was not for the budget conscious. Oh, the hotel Uvala, paid for my return taxi to the airport, which was a gesture I appreciated.

Room Tip: As far as I am aware all the room have a sea view and view of the islands, as the foyer is to the fr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Valamar_President, General Manager at Valamar Dubrovnik President Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Rosemary,

I am so glad that your holiday turned out to be so good. Thank you for taking the time to write such a long and thorough review, expressing all you felt and experienced.
I am so happy President hotel and the staff left such a high impression on you and thank you once again for all the lovely words. It's good you enjoyed the wedding as well, as Dubrovnik really has unique locations for such events, one of them being our pool terrace with gorgeous sunset views.
Hope you come back for another relaxing holiday in the future.

All the very best.

Belinda L. Božanja - Valamar Dubrovnik President general manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
IRELAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I chose this hotel because of the wonderful reviews it receives on Trip Advisor and was thrilled with how it turned out! There were certain features that appealed to me: all rooms have sea-view, it seemed to be geared towards adults, it's on a beach, it has a gym, the bus stop was across the road and the food sounded good. It didn't disappoint!
We arrived in sunny Dubrovnik and took an Atlas bus to the centre and then a taxi to the hotel. The hotel is in Babin Kuk, a quiet area of mostly hotels. The hotel's lobby is very inviting and creates a really good first impression. Check-in was hassle-free and the man on reception was very welcoming and friendly. The hotel is very clean. You can choose to take the lift but we took the stairs all the time. No waiting and good for the calves!!
Our room was fine, perhaps not as good as we were expecting but as the holiday wore on we grew to like it more and more. As advised by Trip Advisor we requested an upper room but sadly this requested was not facilitated by the hotel. The room did not have an iron or tea/coffee making facilities but the sea view makes up for everything! As other people have mentioned, the bath/shower is a little awkward but nothing major.
We ate in the beach bar on the first day and one or two other days. The food is very good there. There is an area within walking distance that has a few places to eat. We tried them all and they are all grand. Copacabana beach also has a place to eat but we didn't discover this until the end of the holiday.
The beach is indeed pebbly! There are water shoes for sale in the shops where the places to eat are nearby. You would need them! You can also sunbathe beside the indoor pool. Towels are provided for hotel guests and the sunloungers are very comfy!
We got the No 6 bus into the Old Town most nights and tried out lots of nice restaurants! It takes about 25 mins. There can be queues for the bus when you are going home around 11pm. When I say queue-each man/woman for him/herself!! You can't really go wrong with restaurants. We liked Marco Polo, Lucin Kantun, Olivia Gourmet and Pizzeria, Dubravka 1836 and d'Vino wine bar. Lapad has a few too we liked Taverna Marijin Dvorac. You can easily walk to Lapad. The Old Town though is lovely at night time with lots of lovely live music (esp jazz) in the bars. We also ate in the hotel. It's a buffet and the food is fantastic! Great choice and we found everything to be delicious!
We really enjoyed breakfast at the hotel. Fabulous views of the sea while eating beautiful food. What could be better than that to start your day?! There is lots of choice but my favourites were the fresh fruit and omelettes cooked in front of you. They may want to improve their coffee though, we didn't like it!
The staff here are incredibly friendly and helpful! They couldn't be nicer! I must single out the really lovely girl on the excursion desk. She is brilliant at her job! She organised two trips for us-the Elphati Islands and Mostar and we really enjoyed both. She is very knowledgeable about the various different places you can go to and seems genuinely interested in her job.
So in conclusion, we loved this hotel. It's friendly, relaxing, not at all stuffy or snobby, has great food, lovely beach/pool areas, nice bars and amazing views! Also if you finish your book there's a desk where you can leave it and pick up another. There's free wifi throughout the hotel. There are two computers beside reception which you can use but there is a charge for this.
Thank you for a wonderful holiday in an amazing city. We loved it!

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view. Rooms on upper floors have larger balconies.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Valamar_President, General Manager at Valamar Dubrovnik President Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear guests,

thank you so much for choosing President hotel for your holiday and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.
I apologize you didn't get the room position you asked for through Trip advisor, but not knowing your surname I can not check what went wrong. It is possible your request never reached the hotel or we were fully booked and didn't have a free room located higher up.
It's good though you ended up liking where you were.
We appreciate very much all the lovely comments on the food, service, views and Ana at the hospitality desk. You were right about all of these matters and thank you once again.

It would be lovely to see you here again if possible.

Best wishes from Dubrovnik.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife & I honeymooned in Croatia in May 2013. The whole trip was great, but this was our favorite place we stayed. Beautiful hotel, private beach, great private terraces overlooking the water, friendly & accommodating staff. Easy to get to old town with the bus stop right outside. The romance package was really nice. Ante at the front desk was particularly friendly, helpful and welcoming, made some great recommendations for our visit. Thanks for everything, we hope to try another Valamar location in future travels

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Valamar_President, General Manager at Valamar Dubrovnik President Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear guests,

once again congratulations and hope you really enjoyed your honeymoon with us.
I am glad you could relax on your terrace with the lovely view. It's great to hear this was your favourite place you stayed at and it makes me proud to know the staff made a difference, specially Ante at the reception desk.
I am glad to hear you are planning on visiting more of Valamar hotels in other destinations and I am sure you will enjoy your stay in any of our hotels.

All the very best to you and your wife from Dubrovnik.

Glossop, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Set on a scenic peninsular, this is a the perfect place to relax, yet close enough to visit the old town of Dubrovnik. It is situated in an idyllic spot, overlooking the turquoise sea. Our room was spacious and very clean, with nice decor. The bathroom was rather old fashioned, but very adequate and spotlessly clean. The balcony was large and overlooked the private, clean, pebbly beach, the sea, and small islands. The cruise ships passed daily, as did sailing boats and fishing vessels...adding interest. The sunsets from the balcony were spectacular!!!
The food was excellent. There was plenty of choice and it was hot! The staff were friendly and helpful. Some areas of the hotel did need some updating. (big refurbishment and upgrade to 5*, planned for Nov.'13/May). The evening entertainment was tasteful... mainly pianist , violinist etc., in a pleasant bar area. There were plenty of sunbeds and fluffy beach towels, all provided free of charge.
There was a bus every 20 mins. from right outside the hotel into stunning Dubrovnik old town....well worth several visits! Couldn't have been more convenient. There were plenty of beautiful walks on proper footpaths around the peninsular too.
Altogether an ideal, memorable place to stay for couples/ adults. ( No outdoor pool so not as attractive for children perhaps.)
We would certainly recommend a stay here!

Dear Phil,

Thank you for one more lovely review, it was a pleasure reading it.
One aditional thing you commented but not many others did is the evening live music you found nice too. We have tried to get a mix of classics, domestic traditional, evergreens and dance music to try and satisfy all different tastes. Every evening someone different, so it doesn't get boring.
Thank you for staying with us and hope you come again.

Kind regards,

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I spent a week here and June and were delighted with our choice. We booked the whole package through British Airways which included a deluxe twin on the 4th floor of this 7 storey hotel (8 if you included the beach). The room were large with a slightly raised area with an L shaped sofa by the balcony doors. To call it a balcony is probably underselling it. It was as big as the room and included raised flower beds. In had shade in the morning but full sunlight most of the rest of the day – so it’s not somewhere to hide from the sun midday. But there are plenty of place in the hotel to do so.
Many people have mentioned breakfast and I think it’s one of the best buffets I have experienced anywhere in the world! There is a wide choice of hot and cold food. If you are looking for the low fat option low fat milk and yoghurts are not by the cereals and rest of yoghurt. Instead they are by the rice cakes opposite the breads. We also had the buffet meal 1 night which was OK but we preferred to eat from the al carte menu which could work out cheaper. They also offered a good choice of food in the bar by the beach – it was a shame it closed at 6 as it would have been nice to eat down there. That being said you can see the sea from every dining area.
We went for a swim most morning as the pool was quite big for a hotel – I guess 15-18m by 10m
Outside the pool is a lovely sun terrace where you can spend the day if you don’t want to go to the beach. You can order drinks whilst you enjoy the warmth. It’s also quite quiet.
Like many other people the staff deserve a special mention. They were all polite , spoke English and were really helpful.
The hotel itself is close to other hotels and a ‘park’ which has several restaurants, bars and gift shops. Our experience in general was that it was a false economy to eat in these establishments and the food was marginally cheaper than the hotel but not as nice – and you don’t get the views. That being said if you want a couple of hours in the shade at lunchtime then it’s not a bad option.

For those who like to nitpick I would say:
Yes the hotel is a little bit tired – our sofa was a bit worn and there was some sloppy painting, but it’s only a little bit tired
The TV is not flat screen and doesn’t offer English speaking entertainment – but who goes on holiday to watch TV? We didn’t even turn it on
The lift is a little slow – but hey you are on holiday so relax
I don’t think its the best place to go if you are of limited mobility as there are few little steps here and there. For example there was a small step into our room and another one to get to the sofa area. Also to get in and out of bath/shower is not for the less agile as bath isn't sunken
The locals do use the beach at weekend – but where in the world don’t they?
There are ants on the patio? – get some spray from housekeeping
Only 5 machines in the gym and no free weights? – Just swim more

But for us these were irrelevant and would go back again

Room Tip: The larger the number the further away from the lift you are
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guests,

wow, what a long novel ... you should consider writing as your profession, as you're great at it.
It needs good will, time and concentration to sit down and write such a long review which I am sure is highly appreciated from all the Trip advisor page visitors.
Thank you for sharing the lovely photos with us too.
It is also flattering to hear you experienced one of the best breakfast buffets in the world ... this is sincerely a very high recommendation as well as the room and staff you complimented.
The investment we are planning will take care of all the small details you mentioned could be improved, so I sincerely hope you'll be able to visit us next season again.

Once again thank you for staying with us and for all the kind words of support.

Yours sincerely,

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The week we had a this hotel was simply perfect. Everything about it is just excellent - room, views, food,cleanliness are faultless. Breakfasts are great with a load of choice. However the thing that marks this hotel out from a lot of the others is the service which was just fantastic. I have never been anywhere quite like this for service - very friendly, helpful and hospitable and none of it came across as contrived.

I would however echo the other reviews about the bathrooms and the potential difficulty for accessing the shower and the bath - bit odd given its such a high class hotel. It needs to be addressed quickly.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on 5th floor Bear in mind the comment about bath
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guests,

I am glad you found President hotel up to your needs and expectations. Thanks a lot for all the nice words about the room, the view and specially the service. This gives a special boost to the staff to be even better.

We all in the hotel appreciate the effort guests go to leaving their comments on web sites and learn out of them as much as possible.

So once again thank you for writing a review and hope to see you soon.

Kindest regards,

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My fifth stay with my family at the President and once again, a superb choice. First class food both at breakfast and evening meal. Entertainment was very enjoyable with the singer / keyboard player worthy of note. It is not every day a Swiss octogenerian dances with your wife!
For those who are toying with the idea of staying at this hotel, I would strongly suggest that you take the plunge and book, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Valamar Dubrovnik President Hotel? Share your experiences!