“Pleasantly surprised last minute choice” 4 of 5 stars

Valamar Argosy Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Iva Dulcica 140 | Babin Kuk, Dubrovnik 20000, Croatia   |
Ranked #23 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Trowbridge, England, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised last minute choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

We drove into Dubrovnik and hadn't booked a hotel. Searched net for deal and found this to be cheapest of the range. Went there and we were very pleased. Big complex and part of a chain of hotel. Staff very friendly. Lovely infinity pool. Heated indoor spa pool. Views were great over sea. Kids shallow pool and playground. Oh and breakfast was great. Big big buffet with everything you need & want ad more. Fruits, omelette, sausages, bacon meats and cheeses, pastries, fresh squeezed juice (at a cost) breakfast great. Oh and the cats are everywhere. This may be a + or - but I like cats so was pleased. They are semi-feral. Taxi ride into centre of old town is approx 90 kn or about £10. Think there are busses just out on main road so worth asking but didn't bother. Rooms nice but not 4*. Clean comfy but could do with a little updating. Very acceptable.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

As a part of a touring holiday RIVIERA TRAVEL of Burton upon Trent Staffordshire booked us in to this magnificent hotel right on the sea front. We enjoyed a spacious room with an excellent sea view. The whole hotel is spotless and we witnessed staff every day cleaning some of the windows!
The buffet style dining experience suited us well as one can choose exactly what one wants. The choices were superb and the staff efficient with the clearing away of dishes. The food on offer was "topped up" regularly and we felt well satisfied in a leisurely but speedy manner.
Our only grouse about the hotel, like another on this holiday, was that there were no coffee/tea making facilities in the bedroom. We do like to wake up to a nice cuppa' - on holiday and at home.
The indoor and outdoor pools are most appealing in their spacious stepped patio environment with glorious views out towards the sea and the mountains.

We did not use the spa facilities but they looked excellent.
The hotel is a little far our from the town of Dubrovnik and the nearby shops and bars that are presumably a part of the hotels group complex (there are 3 hotels run by the same company in close vicinity to one another ) are a little unattractive and that particular area requires a refurbishment to bring it up to the standard of the hotel.
Nevertheless our four night stay was a great experience.

Room Tip: Grab a sea view room if you can. Our was on the same floor as the reception area.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Not a bad hotel. Quite big and busy with a good selection of food, but in a large and somewhat cafeteria-like restaurant. The hotel is quite spread out and we had a long walk from our room to the restaurant, pool etc. Reputedly recently refurbished - supposedly up to 4-star (though I would say debatably making the grade) - but our sink still had an old-looking crack in it.
Comfortable beds and pillows, but the room was poorly lit and we had to request a desk light because the only lighting in the main area of the room were the two rather dim bedside lights. Not a good place to read before bedtime.
Very good, reliable Wi-Fi signal (but couldn't see the laptop keyboard until the light arrived!). Unimaginative bathroom layout with the shower above the bath attached to the side rather than the end-wall, meaning that water got onto the floor more easily past the folding shower side.
Decent bar with some good musical entertainment acts.
The location is not the best - a 20-minute bus ride from the old city, within a group of several other hotels, though the buses are quite quick (but very crowded if you don't get on first).
Good pools - indoor heated and outdoor infinity pool (though the water was too cold for me outside) plus sauna, massage room and other good facilities - so scores well on the spa.
This was part of a Riviera package, so can't comment on value.
If we were to go back to Dubrovnik - which is delightful - we'd probably splash out a bit more and get an apartment or room in the old city.

Room Tip: If you want privacy, avoid ground floor rooms, which can be right next to pathways that people walki...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

This hotel should be a 5 star hotel. From the minute we stepped out of the taxi I had no problems. We where asked if we wanted are bags brought in, the lad on the desk had a smile that said he loved his job and could not have being more helpful. The room was what we wanted a bedroom to sleep, keep our belongings (free safe) and a surprisingly big bathroom. The breakfast was perfect plenty of choice from hot to cold and plenty of everything right up to 10.00am. The 2 pools where spectacular and large. The fitness and well being area was nice but we were not there to get well:). Near the bus so in touch with everything but within walking distances to lovely walks and beaches. The room was cleaned and refreshed brilliantly and the staff are so friendly and helpful. If your a couple or there with mates or even families it's the perfect hotel. Thank you Argosy

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

So my trip didn't start well. My connecting flight from Frankfurt got delayed 5 hours so instead of arriving at 5 we arrived closer to 10pm. Tired already from long international flight so I just wanted to check in and rest

Well there was only 1 guy working the reception desk and he was surrounded by a tour group. Not sure what was going on but it was apparent he was not in a good mood as some ladies were yelling at him. So when the group was done I go check in and he was pretty rude. Asked me what I wanted and I said check in. Some others from a group cut in again so he asked if I was part of the group. I said no so he rudely told me to wait over there (pointed to the side). Obviously I was pissed so I snapped back. Doesn't matte. Finally he got to me and wasn't great service. I know he probably had a hard time with the group but don't take it out on me. For a supposedly 4 star hotel this was terrible service. He then told me he would keep my passport and process by morning. I said I don't think so. I don't leave my passport out of my sight. He made me come back in 15 min to process and return them to me.

Suggest staying somewhere else. Not the type of service I'm accustomed to, especially after 20 hours away from home.

Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

It is with a very real pleasure that I review the Valamar Argosy Hotel. We went in the first week in May 2014. We had been worried about the weather, but the gods looked kindly on us and we had a week of almost continual sunshine. The hotel has been upgraded and is now a genuine 4 star hotel. Our room no: 268 overlooked the gardens, which overlooked the water and hills beyond. Our first pleasant surprise. It was spacious, with a high ceiling. Our very large bed was comfortable with feather pillows The bathroom was also large and well appointed. A really nice touch was an infrared lamp located in the ceiling, which when switched on dealt with any steam that had condensed on the mirror which ran the length of the wall over the wash basin. If I wanted to nit-pick, the towels supplied were a little thin.

On the 8 nights we stayed there was entertainment every evening in the large lounge/ reception/ bar area. This was very popular so it paid to get a table early, by 8.30pm at the latest. The restaurant was a large (that word keeps cropping up) and buffet style. The staff were very friendly and helpful. A special mention should be made to two members that worked there. Nives who cooked the best fried eggs I have ever tasted, and Ivan whose crispy bacon really set you up for the day. In the evening they were both back cooking, chicken, turkey, pork, or/and beef. Always very willing to please. If the management read this, they really are a tremendous asset to the hotel and should be rewarded accordingly.

Now for some practical tips to make your stay even better. Purchase your bus tickets in the hotel shop. You will pay 12 kn per local trip instead of 15kn if purchased on the bus. The no 6 which takes you into the centre gets very crowded and thank goodness the first stop on route is just down the road from the hotel. You stand no chance of getting a seat if caught further along the route. We had a hired car from Avis for 5 days.. You will certainly save money by purchasing the travel excess insurance on line in the UK. We paid £13.31p for the 5 days.

If you plan to go any distance take your passport with you. When going North of Ston on the main road to Split, we had to go through a small section of Bosnia, where Customs, if they are in a bad mood can be difficult without a passport. Finally, don’t be put off from hiring a car by the seemingly difficult route in and out of the Dubrovnik. To get out follow the signposts to Split, which will take you round the harbour and up to the splendid bridge which you cross if you are going North. When coming back the bridge is a great landmark. Follow all signs to Babin Kuk, which will take you to the peninsular where the hotel is situated. If you want to get to the old town, don’t take the car, you will never park, take the bus instead. There are many advantages of having a car. You can really explore all those hidden gems that are dotted along this glorious coastline. We had a memorable holiday, Croatia is a beautiful country and the Valamar Argosy is a lovely hotel

manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We visited Dubrovnik on Thursday 8th May 2014.
Upon arriving at the Hotel it was a great stay. The reception staff were very professional and took us to our room.We had booked a garden view room but it was on the ground floor with an open seating area. We prefer a private balcony so I asked for a room change. They advised that they couldn't accommodate my request until the Saturday. This was fine so I returned on Saturday and a lovely young man took us to the room to make sure we approved. It was still had a garden view room but with an enclosed balcony which suited us. I would advise a sea view room as the coast line is out of this world.We never got tied of it.
The restaurant was buffet style and we found eating a little later approx 8:30am/pm was better otherwise you struggle to get a table. We had to sit outside one night and it was chilly.The food and service in the restaurant is excellent and plentiful. You can put your drinks on your room number. We kept our receipts for all drinks due to a bad experience from a previous holiday where someone had charged drinks to room number! Although the receipts have your room number and name on. We had no problems with our bill at the end of our holiday.
If you turn right out of the Hotel you can walk to Lapad it's an easy walk approx 30mins and a little bit more going on with bars etc and gorgeous ice cream.
From the hotels main door turn to you left and you come to a couple of shops and bars. The drinks are a lot cheaper in the mini market, we purchased bottles of water for 10kuna and bottle of large beer for 17kuna.
The outdoor pool is stunning although a little cold early May.
There is an outdoor pool which on our not too sunny days we used and it was lovely and warm. I used the sauna, although there were two saunas on each visit only one was turned on.
We went into Dubrovnik on bus number 6 a great service you are never waiting long. It's 15kuna on the bus and 12kuna if you buy a ticket from the Hotel shop although it never seemed to be open.
The walls do Dubrovnik were 100kuna each and the cable car was 100kuna. Public Toilets are 5kuna so make sure you have plenty of coins.
We got a taxi from the airport which was 285kuna and he gave us his card for a return fare of 200kuna. The reception kindly ran fog the driver and arranged our pick up.
You have to check out by 10am so my advice would be to do this well in advance before the rush.
All of the staff at the hotel were lovely always Saying hello with a smile.
My partner and I throughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend both the Hotel Argossy and Croatia as a great holiday destination.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Valamar Argosy Hotel? Share your experiences!