Has the potential to be a lot better but the following basic sloppiness lets it down.
- My booking request was only responded to after two weeks and a chasing email whereas other restaurants in Dubrovnik got back to me straight away. Not a massive deal but the competition outperforms Amfora on this.
The restaurant was not particularly busy on the evening I visited. Whilst we were seated quickly, the service was sloppy thereafter.
- It took a long while to have our drinks order taken (understand that can happen sometimes). However, the waitress then forgot to bring our drinks until we reminded her, which was when our starter arrived.
- We were brought a basket of bread with olive oil and vinegar etc. However, we were not given any plates to eat the bread from so it just sat there until our starter arrived.
- Our table had two pepper shakers instead of a salt and pepper whereas the table two places from us had two salt shakers. Again, this is not a massive problem, just sloppy from a restaurant commanding decent prices.
Enjoyed my main (eventually), did not enjoy the starter. Overall though, the quality of the food was decent enough.
- My partner and I ordered soup of the day, which was supposedly fish soup. It didn’t taste of fish and didn’t actually contain any pieces of fish. It had a lot of vegetables so I wonder if it was a vegetable soup instead. Should have questioned it at the time but did not. I wouldn’t order it again but some diners may enjoy it so will not be too harsh on it.
- My partner ordered suckling pig which was nice. I order steak and chips. The steak was lovely. Really enjoyed it. However, the chips were burnt so I asked them to be cooked again. Whilst they happily obliged, they told me that this was the style in which they cook their chips and that the potato used is the reason for the finish. Now, I’ll be as honest as I can. The chips were dark brown, hard, crisp and contained little potato. It’s hard to get chips wrong but they managed. Irrespective of what country you come from or potato you use, there is one word to describe chips like that…”burnt”. However, once recooked, the meal was lovely.
- It was however another let down that instead of taking my steak away to keep warm whilst waiting for chips to be cooked again, they left it out on the table, until I asked for it to be taken away. A good restaurant would have done this immediately and at least offered to keep my partners food warm too rather than having her eat alone and then having me eat alone. Poor all round really.
I would not return. The food was ok but the service was not attentive. It was not busy so should have been easy to get the service right. Instead, our waitress spent more time in the back room talking on here phone instead of paying attention to her diners. Very disappointing.
I also ate at Villa Ruza, Villa Dubrovnik, Restaurant Dubrovnik and Posat (in order of preference). All are multiple times better than Amfora (food and service) so if in any doubt, head there instead.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
June 30, 2013
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for your detailed comment. We shall take it seriously as we want our guests to feel special every time while they get served innovative and fresh dishes.
Regarding the online booking, as we are running a B&B as well we check our emails several times per day. However, we rarely check our Facebook profile where you sent your request.
We were not busy when you arrived as most of our guests had already eaten that night. You walked in 22:45 and our kitchen closes at 23:00. So some off the tables were not set properly and I apologize for the asymmetry in the layout of the salt and pepper shakers.
The waitress has been questioned about the drinks and b&b plates. I'll probably have to invest in video surveillance next ;)))
Regarding the soup, sorry it wasn't as you expected. We serve our turbot/seabass soup with fresh veggies. You were not charged for them.
Thank you for your comments about the rest of the meal. I am sure you could have enjoyed it even more.
Regarding the phone, since the kitchen is one floor below and the food gets up with a dumbwaiter, the waiters/esses need communicate somehow with the kitchen. For instance to call the kitchen and tell them to redo the potato chips. I am sorry you mistook this as inattentive service.
Hopefully you will find the time and visit us again some time.
Kristian Korda - owner at restaurant Amfora
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.