“Great location away from the tourist trap” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Amfora

Villa Amfora
You added Villa Amfora to your Saves list
Villa Amfora
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Obala Stjepana Radica 26, Dubrovnik 21000, Croatia   |
Ranked #46 of 156 Dubrovnik B&B and Inns
“Great location away from the tourist trap”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Villa Amfora was a real delight to stay in, the best part about the location was that it was a pleasant 20 minute walk into the old town and situated along the water in Gruz with a bus stop right outside (perfect for coming home late).

The accommodation was great, one of the better places I've stayed in as a single traveler and would recommend to all and the owner Kristian is super dooper friendly. There's a large supermarket a 5 minute walk away too which was really handy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This b & b attached to a restaurant is close to the main bus station and harbour. The bus from the old town stops right at the door, so for convenience it can't be beat. It comprises a few rooms on the 2nd floor, adjacent to the terrace where dinner is served. Main problem is the noise from the bar on the ground level, which goes on pretty late. The room we had was modern and clean, no frills. Could have used an extra pillow and definitely an extra blanket as there was only one light one on the bed. Can't say we slept well, but breakfast (extra) was delicious. Their main focus is the restaurant, which we really enjoyed (see review).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
VillaAmforaDubrovnik, Owner at Villa Amfora, responded to this review, June 10, 2012
Thank you for your kind review. However, I wish to make it clear that the noise you heard was not from our bar since we are indeed a restaurant and not a bar per se, so by 11-12 pm we are closing everything down including the bar.

The noise you heard cam from the neighboring bar whose walls are touching our walls. The problem is that the owner is drawing in crowds which like loud turbo folk music and he caters to them in order to make money selling booze. We are already in contact with the authorities to put an end to this because he is violating many regulations (working hours, stereo loudness etc). Before the main season we will sort this out. And believe me, the b&b is as much of importance to us as the restaurant, its just that the restaurant hasn't been open for not even a year now and is a much more complicated operation to run well and as you kindly commented that we are doing a good job with it so far.

All the best

Kristian Korda - Villa Amfora Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Having heard how amazing the owner was here and the wonderful views over the harbour I was very much looking forward to my stay here. I was met by (albeit a rather gorgoeus) waiter who tok me to my room and gave me a compimentary soft drink. My room was up in the eaves so had to duck when getting out of bed. Talking of which, be warned that Croatian beds are not the most comfortable -my hips and back ached every morning and sleep was very fitful. There was a TV and fridge in my room which was a bonus. and the room was cleaned to a very highstandard each day. I saw no one else appeared to be staying at the hotel (including the owner) but the restaurant and bar always seemed poplular. It is situated about 40 minutes walk from the Old Town, or buses 1A/1B take 15 mins for 15Kuna, less than 10 minutes walk from the main bus station and there are plenty of supermarkets, bakeriers and cafes nearby.
I can unfortunately say that I would not stay there again, I was shattered from uncomfortable sleep but the location is passable if you do not wish to stay in the Old Town and want to be closer to Lapad. With mountains to the rear and the harbour ahead, it is a pretty place to rest for a day or two.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

VillaAmforaDubrovnik, Owner at Villa Amfora, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Dear Mrs S,

We thank you nonetheless for your rather unsubstantiated comment and here is why. I understand that you feel somehow left disappointed with your stay. I really do not understand your remarks and ratings for the various categories. First off, we do not market our selves as a hotel nor does it say anywhere that we are a hotel. We are a bed & breakfast. Nonetheless, we did offer you a reception service and took your bags to your room (you were also treated with a complimentary glass off juice). So please elaborate which part of the service you had to rate with 3 points.

Next, you rated the location with 2 points. As I can recall, on every website we are on it is clearly stated were our location is (most of the people come here exactly for the location because they do not want the hassle of the Old Town and value the nice surroundings, the closeness of the fresh market, the ferries and the bus terminal). Also, you said it yourself that the bus connections to all parts of the town are good and the Old Town is in walking distance (2000m) You have a pretty view from your room where you can see the harbor and pine tree park. None of our pictures are in any way misleading. If nothing the view has even got better now since they have been doing allot of landscaping work in the park the last two year (plus a high tech lighting installation which gives the park a lovely character during the nights).

Regarding the value, I do not know where you have traveled before but I believe that in Dubrovnik we are among the top regarding price/value. We take much pride in our family business which we have now for almost 30 years (since 1984). We are always investing in the b&b. One year its new a/c. The next TVs and Satellite. For 4 years we have free WIFI now. You are met with a refrigerator with complimentary water inside (although the tap water is probably even better) etc etc.

Now regarding the sleep quality and this is the reason for my somewhat heated response. Because we value our guests very much and listen to their comments so we can improve and offer them a better service and consequently a better experience, this year we bought for all beds completely new mattresses. You have probably been the first guest to sleep on it since we only opened the b&b in May.

The mattresses are of very high quality made by one of the most renowned mattress producers in this area. They are hotel standards, anti allergenic and non flammable. I have personally slept many times on one of them between two shifts in my restaurant and I am considering to get rid of mines at home and get these instead. Therefore, I am very sorry that these new mattresses have not met your standards but I think it is very unjust to leave such a comment which directly affects our daily bread and butter. Especially because we are trying to give something back and not just seeing our guests as walking wallets. I think this can be clearly seen from all the other comments on this website.

Please feel free to respond here or at my business email info@amforadubrovnik.com

Kind regards,

Kristian Korda - owner, receptionist, bell-boy, waiter, bartender, accountant, booking manager, maintenance and last but not least - chef the cuisine at restaurant Amfora

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

My wife and I found this amazing restaurant called Amfora in Dubrovnik. Amfora has a restaurant and Bed and Breakfast. The food in the restaurant is absolutely amazing!!! We have dined all around the world at some of the best restaruants and Amfora ranks with the highest 5 star restaurants in the world. Along with the food and atmosphere, the service was also fantastic. The owner, Kristian, was warm and welcoming. He was friendly and taught us alot about Croatian culture and wold views. He made us feel special and at home in his establishment. Kristian made sure that we were taken extra special care of so that our time at Amfora was amazing. We ate there two days in a row. It was that good!!!! For all visiting Dubrovnik, Amfora restaurant is a MUST.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
villa_amfora, Owner at Villa Amfora, responded to this review, March 10, 2012
We thank you very much for your kind review. Actually this was the first review for the restaurant so it made us extra happy. Hope you are all well and hope to see you again some time :D

Kristian Korda - Amfora (restaurant and Bed & Breakfast)
Birmingham, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Dubrovnik is a bit of a tourist trap, so finding reasonably-priced accommodation can be a bit of a challenge. Villa Amfora is therefore a bargain you really should consider.

It's located about 3km from the old city. Via public transport (e.g., the airport bus - 30 minutes), you should come to the main bus terminal from where Villa Amfora is 10 minutes' walk - it's very easy to find. Travelling to the old town and back is simple, with a cheap and regular bus service literally at the front door.

Villa Amfora is a café bar with a restaurant at the back (more of this later) and rooms above. This is no-frills accommodation, so there's no room service or breakfast included, but if you prefer to save your money for other things, and will settle for a clean and safe place to stay at a very low price, this is ideal.

I can't fault Kristian and his other English-speaking staff. Their service is second to none, and provided in a friendly yet courteous way. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble, and they were very flexible in helping me with my travel arrangements. Expect e-mail contact after you've booked.

The hidden secret to Villa Amfora is the recently-opened restaurant, with a Mediterranean theme. I can't praise the quality of the food too highly - it was simply superb, and after eating here one night there was no reason for me to try anyway else. Highly recommended, including of course for non-residents.

Thank you to all involved for a memorable visit. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
villa_amfora, Owner at Villa Amfora, responded to this review, March 10, 2012
We greatly appreciate your kind comment. We are doing great and we are eagerly expecting the season to introduce tourists to our passion - great food lovingly prepared from fresh Croatian ingredients. Hope you visit us again..

Best regards,

Kristian Korda
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Could not be faulted. The location is great – short walk from the bus station, or the ferry terminal, short bus ride to the old town, or if you are feeling energetic, a nice walk. The rooms are at the back of the very nice bar and restaurant area. Upstairs and at the rear – away from the noise of the street, and with a great view of the mountains. The rooms themselves are spotless, in great condition, fresh, airy and light.There is an upstairs dining and lounge area, which is great to relax in with a drink after a day of sightseeing! The staff are great, friendly, helpful, attentive. I would not hesitate to recommend this accommodation, and would definitely book this again if I am able to return to Dubrovnik!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Nairn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

My Partner & I stayed in Villa Amfora for 7 nights..we would highly recommend it!! Kristian & all his staff were unbelievably nice & so helpful when we needed to know anything. It is just across from the beautiful harbour where you can sit & watch the sunset..The villa has a lovely restaurant to eat or just sit & have a drink & watch the world go by. Again we can't recommend this highly enough..we will certainly be back. Kristian if you are reading this, a big thank you from us, we look forward to coming back to your beautiful country. Julie & Kevin. (Scotland) :)))))

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Hi Julie and Kevin,

Thank you so much for your kind review and I apologize for taking so long to respond. I just registered my account on tripadvisor. Hope both of you are doing well. We are also doing good. Had a stable winter and got a fine clientele for our cuisine. We are especially proud of our lunch specials and how the charcoal grill is doing its wonders. Hope to see you again some time.

Best regards,

Kristian Korda

Been to Villa Amfora? Share your experiences!