“Not for families with kids, I guess.” 3 of 5 stars

Golly&Bossy Design Hostel
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Morpurgova Poljana 2, Split 21000 , Croatia   |
Ranked #151 of 332 Specialty Lodging in Split
Poland
“Not for families with kids, I guess.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Fully agree with the previous review. We stayed there end of August too, having booked a room for a family of 4 (2 adults with 2 small kids). Our ups and downs in order of appearance:

- check-in: slow and stiff. But OK, this is a hostel, not a 4* hotel. Reception shares the same 'tabletop' as the bar - a fantastic idea! Very welcoming.

- overall design: thrilling! One of the very best we have seen so far. No room numbers, just jolly stories with room names typed on the floor. No keys, just pin numbers. Overall an intoxicating design!

- the room: the first dissapointment. We reserved a family room for 4 and got in return a standard db room with a loft (or mezzanine). The loft was accessible only by climbing up a ca 3 meter high ladder, which was disturbing as the staff knew we were coming with small kids (we had to safeguard our kids every time they climbed up or came down the ladder, also during the night). Our second concern was the temperature up on the loft - there was no ac unit mounted in the loft and the room aircon was not able to reach upstairs. The difference in temperature in the same room was HUGE! While we were freezing in the room, our kids were sweating and unable to sleep upstairs in the loft! We were supposed to have a room with a glimpse of the sea, but got one with a full view of a neighbouring wall. Otherwise the room was OK, with lots of small design details (like little allegories printed on the floor, showing where the bathroom or cabinet was) - unfortunately from our point of view made totally no difference.

- breakfast: a second dissapointment! A few slices of bread and cheese + small pate with jam, with JUST ONE cup of coffee or tee. I was asked to pay for the second cup of coffee I wanted to order. No fruits (in August!) or seasonals, no dairies. Nothing. And we had to wait for 30 minutes to get this served. Sic! Oh, the wifi was free, though.

- check please: oh no! A third dissapointment! All this for almost EUR 200 / night. I am not willing to pay that for an eye feast only and expect to have at least my taste satisfied during breakfasts, too.

Generally, this hostel makes a great, terrific impression during check-in (although the service could be more friendly, though). The further one goes, the more of it dissapears. In the end, we were left feeling hungry and having paid too much for the quality of stay offered. 3* for the design only, otherwise would rate it as a max 2* facility. And would definitely not recommend to families with small kids.

Room Tip: Do not go for rooms with lofts, it's just too hot up there and unsafe for kids!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

we stayed here for 2 night in august after reading about it on tripadvisor. Overall a cool hostel, with a perfect setting and a nice breakfast garden.
We stayed 2 adults and 2 teenagers in a 4 bedded room, the boys had to stay on a small loft in one 120 cm bed, or matress on the floor. As it was august the temperature outside was 37 degrees, and the aircon in the room didnt reached the loft, so the boys couldnt sleep the first night. Second night we took the matress down on the small space on the floor, this was better. But after paying a lof for just a hostel, i would say better to stay in 2 dbl rooms somewhere else. i guess the dorms are better.. Also very poor breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

At £29 pp/pn for a dorm bed this is by no means cheap, so we were expecting a lot from this 'design hostel'. However, we left feeling ripped off: the hostel looks cool but DOES NOT serve its prime purpose, that of providing a comfortable night's sleep/ opportunity to meet with others. Probably the private rooms are great, this place seems more like a hotel than a hostel.

Good points:
- Excellent staff (who clearly would like to strangle the cretin who designed the place...see below)
- Decent restaurant
- Separate toilet and shower in room
- Each bed has a curtain for privacy

Negatives:
- No kitchen
- No common area except the auditorium with big screen for watching DVDs which is (moronically) placed on a corridor with rooms on it.
- All rooms lead directly onto the echoey stairs/ lift/ escalator area, and since doors are paper thin, anybody passing your room even having a conversation seems extremely noisy.
- Noise from bar/ restaurant echoes around corridors keeping you awake in evening/ waking you up in the morning
- Speakers in corridors play music from around 7 am.
- The room was more like a corridor than a room, difficult to move around in/ nowhere to put larger cases.
- Locker codes didnt work
- Lockers very small
- Bed lights didn't work
- Beds were extremely difficult to get into/ out of, probably even worse after a few Ojusko beers

In short, I have stayed in many places in Croatia. This was the most expensive and the least comfortable by a very long way.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011 via mobile

On the plus side, this hostel is clean, modern and central. The rooms are modern and comfortable with curtains that separate each bunk for privacy. The room I was in (6 person room) had 1 toilet and 1 shower in the room, which was nice. The shower was big and clean.

What made me give this hostel a poor number of stars was the service and the ambiance. I just did not feel very welcome during my stay.

I arrived late-ish at 10pm (due to a flight delay). Upon arrival at the hostel, I stood at the desk for 15 minutes before being helped. There were bartenders in the area, but they just explained that they can't do the check ins and left me waiting. Fair enough it was a Friday night, but someone should have their eye on the desk.

Upon check in I was given no info. Nothing about check out time, breakfast, etc. Additionally, despite having booked a "4 person mixed dorm" I was put into a 6 person room. Since I was only staying for 1 night and it was late and I was tired, I didnt complain, however I did find it rude that no one noted this and at least apologized or explained why I couldn't have the room as booked.

Upon getting to the room I could not get the wifi to work. I had a laptop, IPhone and kindle with me and the wifi worked on none. I went down to the desk to ask and was told "mine works. Must be your device. Not my problem." I'm pretty sure when a guest expresses a concern in service it is the employee's problem. Furthermore as it didn't work on all 3 of my devices it likely was an issue with their connection.

I made the mistake of eating at the hostel the next morning and the service was atrocious. The table next to me actually complained - they had been 1.5 hours for breakfast.

Overall the place was central and clean and a good concept...but the staff and ambiance ruined the experience for me.

• Stayed August 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

We booked in for a four person room. There is a lofted area and a bed on the main floor. We noticed it was hot during the day, but well it's summer and it's hot. We turned the a/c onto full fan and mentioned at the front desk (when we had to get more towels, not even because of the bathroom situation just because we weren't given 4 to begin with) that we hoped it would be cooler, she mentioned she'd turn it down a few degrees from the main desk. So even though we have controls in our room, obviously the temperature setting is not controlled here. The room never cooled down. It was so hot that one of the people sleeping in the loft bed came down to sleep on the floor instead. When we complained in the morning, the front desk staff could have cared less. We then decided to have our breakfast, included with our "deluxe" room. There is no choice as everyone else has said. None of our breakfasts arrived at the same time. We got only 2 of the 4 orange juices and those at the end of the meal. And the waitress was beyond unpleasant. This all would have been fine if we'd payed less, but this was a 200 euro room!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

A perfect location in the heart of the old town. A little hard to find. From the dock, walk down the waterfront until almost the end where you turn right on a big street, then shortly after that turn right through an archway. The minimalist modern design of the hostel of the hostel makes you feel like you’re in Tokyo instead of Split. Nice clean room. No common area, but a nice café downstairs.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Zagreb, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Friend and I went to hose party in Split on 30.07. We were so tired waiting for our plane next day so we had 3 hour nap. Thank you Roko for great assistence. Beautiful and cool place golly and bossy is indeed! I work as a tourist agent for last 5 yrs nothing similar i didnt see.

Nina from Zagreb

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Golly&Bossy Design Hostel? Share your experiences!