“Very modern and quirky!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Luxe
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ulica kralja Zvonimira 6, Split 21000, Croatia   |
Ranked #13 of 56 Hotels in Split
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Very modern and quirky!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had a pleasant stay at this hotel! It was in a good location for our short stay in Split - only a few hundred yards from the Riva and Diocletian's Palace. I agree though with the other reviewers, the decor and layout is quirky to say the least!! I had seen the photos but it was even brighter!! Having said that my husband and I did think it was fun! The staff were friendly. Our room was a good size and it was very clean. Our one issue was that the breakfast was quite chaotic. The space available for the breakfast offer was far too small! It wasn't clear that omelette/scrambled eggs were available and we found out by overhearing other guests ordering!! I also hate coffee/tea being dispensed from a push button machine! Surely fresh beverages would not be too difficult to make and be provided. All in all though a nice, fun option if you're staying for a few days in Split.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed in a lovely 2 bed roomed apartment which is a short 5 min walk away from the hotel. Apartment and the hotel is so conveniently located near the old city of Split and the Ferry terminal which is handy for day trips to Hvar and Brac. Hotel staff were so helpful and spa and the massage was very good.Hotel went out of their way to keep in touch and guide us from the time of booking. I can recommend this hotel without any reservation. Breakfast was quite good and adequate.

Room Tip: annexe is 5 min walk away from the hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Yes, it is central and clean. Yes, the beds are comfortable and the a/c works. So what was missing? We knew about the tacky purple décor and the bizarre window arrangement between the bathroom and the bedroom. Room with a sea view consisted of a partial view overlooking some large ships. After struggling with out suitcases trying the find the hotel, we were met by the lovely young lady who apparently met the previous reviewer, standing imperiously behind the desk. All very well groomed but definitely not one to go out of her way to sort out a problem. Our problem was that we had cancelled our 2nd night through Expedia a few days earlier and either someone at the hotel had not picked up on this, or Expedia dropped the ball. Either way, she was not helping us in any way even though reservation did say that we could cancel anytime before we checked in. First she tells us that the hotel manager had called Expedia then the next day she denied this. So were left paying for two nights even though we only stayed one night and now I am trying to get a refund from Expedia. Put this experience behind us and spent the rest of out stay in some of the most delightful accommodations and owners who could not do enough to make out stay enjoyable. Wish I could have said the same about the Luxe.

Room Tip: If you do stay at this hotel, pick a room on a high floor otherwise you just end up looking at the r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank wgoater
LuxeSplit, General Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear JeanG,

above all I want to thank you for compliments and sharing your opinion about inconveniences you've encountered.

I understand walking with suitcases from bus or ferry in hot days like we have currently is not easy, but if we would to know this, we could have organized transfer for you with at very little extra charge. Many of our guests require this service and we always arrange pick up.

My colleague at front office has welcomed you well. After you told her you’ve cancelled second night she noted your remark. Since you’ve booked through agency, there was nothing she could do at that moment and I’m sure this might upset you.
Unfortunately we never received cancellation and never got a call from agency. They are the ones charging your credit card, not us – we only provide service you’ve booked with them. We could have done something, but not on Saturday 7pm or Sunday morning. Unfortunately you didn’t give us a chance to try to help you out and sort this with Agency. If you’ll need our assistance, please let me know.

It would be pleasure to welcome you back at Luxe and make it up for your inconvenience. You can contact me directly through hotel’s web and I’ll make sure your stay is at your best expectations with very special deal to compensate your expense with Agency.

Thank you for your time and effort to write a review.

With kind regards,

Josip Culic
Hotel manager
Red Deer, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Reflecting back on a wonderful two-week-, six different hotels- vacation in this amazing country I would like to share our experience of this particular hotel, which was, well ... different and not in a good way.
The location is the key, right by the port and the old city, but good luck managing even to stop by the entrance to the hotel (and we have done that in the busiest streets of Rome, Madrid, Paris, London, etc). If you drive with any minimal appreciation to the rules - it is forbidden; if you still have to - enjoy the honking and the gestures of tourists' bus drivers. The hotel does have a parking pad a block down and a block away though. After climbing two staircases with two heavy suitcases and dragging them down a block we were still optimistic when we entered ... an ice-cream parlor style of the 80-s reception 'dock'. I had to step out and enter again just to make sure I got the right door.
An elegant but non-smiling red-head receptionist asked if we "expected to be helped with the luggage" and when I still hopefully shared the experience of truly rocky way from the parking lot, she authoritatively explained to me that "they only help with the luggage at 5-stars hotels in Europe". Lucky us, I wanted to say, we have been helped with our heavy load everywhere we went for years and years. But the cold gaze of the receptionist up and down my wrinkled outfit chilled me off, I said no more.
The room (full price, costly) was actually a cubicle of 8' x 10', filled with plastic furniture ice-cream shop style, decorated with long-fringed sparkly faux-leather lamp shades, and clad in extreme neon-blue and pre-teen-girl brightest purple stripy carpet and synthetic plush fabric. Eyes start to hurt if you do not close them. There was also a coquettish clear-glass wall between the room and its bathroom. The balcony with the view of the beautiful Adriatic and the picturesque red roofs of the old city would give us some relief, but it was miniscular 3' x 3', with only one (!) chair for a 'delux' room with a king-size bed. The intricate design of the opening two-ways balcony door evidently left many less experienced travellers puzzled, as it was broken and only opened half-fallen on the bed in that tiny room.
The breakfast was 'supervised' by another never smiling young lady who informed us that it is 'self-served'. None of our dirty plates was ever removed off the small ice-cream shop style table. Still quite fit in my forties, I found it challenging to sit on that plastic chair with a back playfully cut off right where you need some support for your spine.
Altogether, the only (and probably the most important) elegant feature about the whole property was its manager who finally agreed to set us free and cancel our second night at that ... well, different hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ikwet
Dear Ikwet,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review hotel Luxe.

If I recall correct, I've helped you with parking next to hotel and took luggage myself on your check out. I haven’t been in hotel when you arrived, but my colleague has told you correctly. We can't cancel second night as your reservation was pre-booked through agency, so ultimately we'll be charged for it. However I wanted you to feel good about traveling in Croatia and took the expense for your second night, which we honored and paid for to your agency.

Hotel Luxe is specific and uniquely designed throughout the hotel. Many rooms are different from one another and some have glass wall between room and bathroom; some don't. I can assure you our aim is to ensure that every one of our guests has a fantastic experience and our web photos clearly show how it looks.

I can understand if it doesn't match your style and expectations and I'm sure you could have chosen another property in Split that is a bit less designed and more conservative. I am truly sorry that in your case this did not happen. Had I known how you felt while you were in the hotel I'd make sure to show you and re-allocate you to another room without a glass wall.

I am indeed also very disappointed to read about your experience and to know that we did not fulfill your expectations. Here in Luxe we are most attentive and committed to offer the best of service experience with great hotel products as all other reviews show.
I would very much like to welcome you back at Luxe, should you feel you could give us a second opportunity.

Thank you once again for your time.

Best wishes,

Josip Culic
Hotel manager
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

The decor in this hotel has been executed by a straight man who thinks his clientele are all fans of Liberace. It is all OK, but the decor doesn't work. The glass wall between the bathroom and the bedroom is badly covered by silver curtains which would start a fire if you rubbed them together - but who wants to go to the loo and sit watching your partner / friend / Liberace impressionist in the bedroom - or vice versa?! The location is excellent for the palace. Getting to the car park is challenging down the side road if you're driving anything larger than a mini.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank lhrsydjfk
Cirencester Glos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Having read the reviews on trip advisor we expecting great things - and we were not disappointed. Superb service throughout the whole hotel - we arrived very early (10.30am) and our room was ready, we had some good restaurant recommendations, complimentary tickets for certain sites/museums in Split. Room was very comfortable, good view from balcony, breakfast was good and replenished promptly. Good position within the city, only 2/3 minute walk from the centre. Would highly recommend and would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This hotel is the last word. It is extremely modern, really classy and superb staff. We stayed in Split only for 1 night and this hotel was the highlight. We are definitely going back!

I booked the hotel over the phone after the excellent reviews I seen on trip advisor and other sites. I have only positive things to say about everything from the first phone all until we checked out.

When I was booking the hotel I had mentioned it was for a special occasion and I asked could I get flowers and chocolates in the room. This was no problem but the girl (Maya) recommend their chefs chocolate cake instead of chocolates I took her word and this was absolutely gorgeous, the provided the flowers too for a small cost. However, they gave a complementary bottle of bubbly.

It was perfect, the staff were so professional and I couldn't recommend this hotel enough. Location is perfect too. A 2 minute walk from the centre. Free parking too in their private car park.

Anyway, to sum it up, the food was lovely, staff were excellent, the hotel was modern and the room was spotless. Oh and ask for the chocolate cake special occasion or not.

Room Tip: Deluxe room with sea view is like a suite in other hotels. You have your own balcony too.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple