“Nice decor, amazing food” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 213 Restaurants in Split
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, Croatian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Our small family restaurant is run by Father & Chef, preparing dishes that are passed on by his mother and grandmother. Our family lives in this neigborhood for more than 300 years. Blessed by the heavenly Adriatic, seafood is mainly our thing. As we depend on the weather working with fish, daily menu is flexible. Vegetables are bought on the bazaar behind the palace & the fish-market is 100m away. Even our wine & olive oil is made by local family producers. Enjoy traditional Dalmatian dishes in friendly atmosphere.. Welcome foodies!
“Nice decor, amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Hidden in the back alley away from the small harbour of Volosko, we found this small but cozy konoba. Their decor was absolutely stunning. The host was very friendly, as he took his time to explain the menu and give us his recommendations. The bread was fresh and came with quality olive oil. We ordered the smoked sardines served with onion confit, octopus salad and gregada with rayfish. It was magnificent! The smoked sardines with onion confit was absolutely to die for. We could hear other guests who ordered the sardines as well, praising it. What an amazing experiencie it was!

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Rhyl, United Kingdom
“Fab”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

We were a party of eight ladies celebrating a birthday and I found this restaurant on Trip advisor. I booked in advance through our hosts at Marmontova Rooms( which was brilliant by the way). It was our first night and what a way to start our adventure in Split. We were warmly welcomed into the small homely restaurant by the owners son. The service was great and the food fabulous, fresh fish platter from our choice of the catch of the day. We enjoyed the atmosphere and decided to try and book again for our last night...but they were unsurprisingly booked up. If you're looking for a traditional Croatian restaurant with lovely food and good service- book ahead.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Great food but not the level of service expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

We ate here on 30 May this year. We tried to book the day before though we were advised they were busy though they fitted us in the following night. This was our last night in Split and was something we really looked forward to following the glowing reviews on trip advisor.

One if the main selling points of the restaurant was the fabulous service people have cited on this website with the waiters going out of their way to help the guests choose their dish. This was not the case for us. We firstly asked about the portions of the starters and were given a vague answer that confused us though indicated that one starter to share would be enough. We asked for more time and he left to get our wine. When he came to finally take our order we asked about different starter portions again and then he said we should have two, shrugged and impatiently said it depended on what we chose for our main course.

We were made to feel like idiots and certainly not provided the level of service shown to other guests. I really should have raised this with someone but stupidly did not and I regret this.

The food itself was lovely and fresh, the wine excellent value and the general ambience was great. The smoked ham and cheese were lovely as was the fish platter for two. If like most other people you get good service then I can see why this place is so popular.

For us the service was 1 or 2 stars while the food was 4 or 5 stars. Unfortunately for us we didn't experience the kind of service described by others, being quite rude at one point, and as such can only give three stars overall.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
piple, Owner at Konoba Matejuska, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Thomas,

Service in our small family restaurant is as important to us as the quality of food. Atmosphere is homey and personal, because we are not a huge place but have only 7 tables in total, so for me it was quite shocking to see your impressions.
After consulting with my colleagues I remembered that it was me serving you. Maybe you felt less important as you booked the last available table that has a limited view, but that does not mean you were less important to us.
Celebrities, friends, family, or you, our guest are treated the same!
Last night we had two state ministers that came a bit late and were turned away, so please,
try to take a look from our angle..

We did show you the fish platter as we always do, we did explain everything, and you weren't sure how much to order. You could have ordered less and later order some more, it's only normal.
I as your waiter can not know how hungry you are!
I told you starter-portion's were large and you have to find a balance. If you order two starters I recommended a smaller main, to find a balance! If I cared only about selling you stuff I would not warn you about the size, but I did care!
Ordering is flexible here and the choice is all yours, why that 'made you feel like an idiot' i do not know.
Usually I am the one that takes long time to recommend, and sometimes my father (the owner & chef) makes fun of me for being too attentive. So when you wrote my service deserved a 1-2 star, I could only imagine what grade you would give to someone that does try as hard as I do.

Maybe now you feel like a journalist, maybe you wanted your review to stand out, or maybe you just had a bad day, however, I am sorry that I gave you the wrong impression, and didn't make you feel like all the other guest in our restaurant, welcome and taken care of..
In the end, if everything else was 'great and excellent', than I will take this 'average' bullet for you hurt feelings.
Please do come again so you can see my real side, and feel true dalmatian hospitality.
London, United Kingdom
“Good food!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We had read so much about this konoba that we did not want to miss it. It is such small place that you need to make a booking but not a place you go on a hot day... We try twice and go lucky second time around. The food is good, but I personally not think is excellent, we order the fish platter and vegs to go with it, the house wine was really a good choice. Service is quite friendly and prices are reasonable.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“You Just Gotta Eat Here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We are just back from having a wonderful meal!!

Awesome atmosphere, top notch attention to detail and the food was spectacular. As someone else said, "straight from the sea to your plate".

I must admit that I was taken back by some small things at first but it was still awesome. The special fresh anchovies were served at "room temperature" and I was expecting "hot". The boiled potatoes onions was served "cold" and not "hot". Didn't meet temperature expectations but it was all awesome nonetheless. In a different country, different language, different ways to prepare food. Please don't get me wrong, it was excellent.

The father / son team was performing tonight as the service and quality was excellent. If you're in Split, "you just gotta eat here". Make a reservation as there were more turned away than served tonight.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere