“Best hostel I have ever stayed at” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Yellow House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antigua
The Yellow House
You added The Yellow House to your Saves list
1a Calle Poniente #24, Between Ave Del Desengano & 7Av North, Antigua, Guatemala   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Best hostel I have ever stayed at”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

My family and I stayed at Yellow House hostel multiple times over our 3 week holiday in Guatemala. We kept returning to Antigua and Yellow House because of the incredible customer service we received whilst there. The staff was amazing -- from the awfully sweet ladies who cooked the morning breakfast to Sofi, the wonderful manager who went above and beyond her duties to help us plan almost our entire vacation. Sofi helped us book shuttles, discover wonderful new places in Antigua, and even came to our aid when we awkwardly realized we didn't have a place to stay in Flores on Christmas.. when almost everywhere was booked! Truly, it was amazing the extent to which she helped my family and I can't adequately describe the lengths to which she went (even helping us for three hours at one point!).

The ladies who cooked us breakfast were so awfully sweet and kind. They made us feel so comfortable despite our limited Spanish, even working on our language skills while we got breakfast. By the end of our stay we felt as if we were family.

The location of the hostel is also fantastic. It is just three blocks from the main arch which makes you feel close but also far enough away from the hustle and bustle of central park to get a good night's rest. There are also a lot of wonderful places nearby including Fernando's coffee shop and a salsa studio next door that offers free classes on certain days.

The one thing that really blew me away by this place was how incredibly CLEAN it was. Seriously, spotless. The bathrooms are communal but honestly you would think they were your own they were kept so clean. The ladies cleaned them multiple times a day and rooms were cleaned daily right down to bleaching the floors. I have never stayed in a cleaner hostel. Also, I arranged for our accommodation from the States and Sofi made it incredibly easy to communicate with her through email. I never had a problem with communication and it was actually the most seamless of all the places in Guatemala that we stayed at. I honestly cannot recommend this place more. I will definitely stay here whenever I return to Antigua.

Room Tip: Bottom rooms are closer to the bathrooms but top floor is more private.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Denman Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Staying at the Yellow House was the highlight of my Guatemalan trip last month. The staff were wonderful--warm, efficient, and welcoming. I have NEVER stayed at a place where the bathrooms and showers were cleaned out all day. Fantastic breakfast and comfortable, attractive rooms, and an inviting rooftop deck with comfortable seating and hamocks explain why I recommended the Yellow House to fellow travelers and to friends considering visiting Guatemala. It's the staff, both in the front office, and in the back, however, that makes a place like Yellow House hum. sharon small

Room Tip: ask for a roof room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I have been to Guatemala twice and have stayed at Yellow House both times. It is clean and the staff are pleasant. The highlight is the breakfasts each morning which are just amazing!!! Many tours start and leave from Yellow House, and it is a short walk to the main square. The staff will arrange airport transfers before you get there and for your return. They are very responsive via e-mail. I have stayed there both when traveling alone and with a friend, and would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: If you don't stay in the dorm, try to stay in a room on the inside of Yellow House, away from th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay at yellow house! I stayed at 4-5 different hostels/hotels in Antigua and this is my favorite, though a little pricier than some. With the huge, delicious breakfast buffet and beautifully decorated and comfortable rooms, paying a little more was well worth it. Not to mention the best rooftop patio as well! Super chill place to hang out with amazing view of the volcano. The staff is very helpful and friendly, plus there's a communal kitchen. Ask for a rooftop room...

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I began and ended my trip in Guatemala at The Yellow House. The staff was accommodating and friendly. Everything was really clean. The breakfast was fantastic! No complaints.

They also have a great tourist service and you can book shuttles to other places in Guatemala right from the front desk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

What a fab hostel, not that I can add much or anything new that hasnt already been written.
The bathrooms are exceptionally clean and you could eat your dinner off them, or the breakfast which is as sensational as the reputation suggests. I have a tip, that you tip – the cleaning ladies who cook the great breakfast work hard and are always super happy, not something you find that often. Not tipping would feel like a grave injustice.

Everyone in this hostel is nice, the upstairs balcony is a beautiful tranquil place and it feels like a home away from home.

Brett the welsh guy and sophie the anitguan girl in reception were great for information and helping us book any tours. The welsh guy recommended a great spanish school for me, which was a relief as I have heard some hit and miss stories about teachers in Antigua.

Cant recommend this place enough!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Trondheim, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

The rooms are clean and well kept, the bathrooms
are some of the better i´ve seen at that pricerange,
and the showers are great!

The included breakfast is great value, fresh fruit, beans,
(great) pancakes, fried potatos and tomatos, topped with
a choice of eggs freshly prepared for you personally,
by the most welcoming breakfast/cleaningladies in the country.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Yellow House? Share your experiences!