“A wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Florencia Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Antigua
Casa Florencia Hotel
You added Casa Florencia Hotel to your Saves list
7a. Av. Norte #100, Antigua 03001, Guatemala   |
Ranked #9 of 77 Hotels in Antigua
Tel Aviv
“A wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Casa Florencia is a wonderful hotel. The staff is unbelievably nice, generous and helpful. The rooms are clean and the breakfast is great (Estella is so nice!!). We stayed in two rooms (parents and children) and they were spotless and comfortable. The downstairs rooms are somewhat dark and there is some noise when breakfast is served in the hotel - so stay upstairs if you can. The location is great - five minutes from the main square but away from the bustle of downtown.

This is a wonderful place and we will stay at Casa Florencia again on our next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs are lovely
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed at Casa Florencia for three weeks in November/December. It was my second stay there, and this is my second TripAdvisor review of the hotel. (My first stay was a year ago.)

The hotel is just as good as ever. Better, actually, because now they serve breakfast every day, usually in Me Late Café, their little café next to the hotel.

The employees are all friendly and helpful. The rooms are small but comfortable. The rooms and hallways are all impeccably decorated, giving a very cozy feel. The view of Volcán de Agua from the balcony is always a pleasant thing to encounter in the morning when you wake up, or whenever.

For tourists from United States, who may not know what to expect when they visit Guatemala, the Casa Florencia is a good choice for a couple of reasons: The hotel is kept exceptionally clean. When the maids aren’t cleaning rooms, they are cleaning the hallways, etc.. To the point of fanaticism. I wish my own home was that clean! And the hotel is very secure. The front door is always locked, and someone is always nearby to let you in when you arrive, day or night. There are no first floor windows facing out of the hotel, and only a couple of second floor windows like that. All the other windows face out to the balcony or courtyard.

And finally, the Casa Florencia is a great value for the money. You can spend more at other hotels and get more luxury, or you can spend less, and not want to get into the bed.

But I want to emphasize that the Casa Florencia is not for everyone.

Someone who is not in great walking condition may want to stay at a hotel closer to the center of town. But if you enjoy walking, the town center is no more than 10 or 15 minutes away, depending upon how fast you walk. It’s quite easy and very pleasant.

And don’t confuse the 4+ rating in TripAdvisor as meaning that it is a four-star hotel. If you are expecting a luxury hotel, you will be disappointed.

TripAdvisor reviewers occasionally complain about noise. In fact, there were some noisy nights while I was there, but they didn’t bother me. When I’m on a trip like this, the days are so busy that I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, noise or no. But I actually think that noise is a fact of life in Antigua, and quite possibly even more so in hotels closer to the center, where there are more discotheques and more activity. If someone somewhere isn’t banging on a drum, someone else is playing music, or someone else is setting of fireworks, etc.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My fiancee and I stayed 2 night this Dec. Hotel is amazing rooms are very clean and modern. Everything works as it should. Breakfast was nice and yummy. I highly recommend this hotel. Patricia was very helpful even though I never met her in person. The one thing I do suggest to the hotel is credit card acceptance.. more convenient for most travelers.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second floor...great hallway with agreat view, and nice chairs to sit on and en...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed at casa florencia during our recent trip to Antigua. The hotel is charming and very clean. Breakfast is usual but delicious.
People were very nice and helpful. They let us make phone calls from the front desk to various tours that we had booked.. I was not feeling well one day (ate something bad I guess :)) , and they provided breakfast service in the room which is actually against their policy!
The rooms are rather small but functional. Views from the balcony upstairs are beautiful.
All in all, it was a nice experience.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Having been to Antigua over 20 times for work and vacation, I've stayed in many different places. Casa Florencia was the biggest let-down to date.

To its credit- it is clean and well-maintained. Otherwise it is average at best. Compared to similarly priced locations, however, it is rather far from the park and the rooms are smaller than average. The two huge problems though are the noise (and I'm a sound sleeper) and the fact that it is cash only.

Even $10 a night hostels take credit cards. This is a problem for 2 reasons: first, cash is difficult for reimbursement purposes, and secondly, tourists should not be carrying around large amounts of cash in Guatemala.

The noise was the worst I have experienced in Antigua. At night there was a very loud bar and in the morning the church bells are very loud. No where in Antigua is perfect at this price point, but even I was surprised at just how noisy it was.

I'm not sure if the management had changed or if they were out of town, but I was decidedly underwhelmed with my experience.

Overall I would recommend looking somewhere a little more centrally located that takes credit cards. In the end I had to apologize to the group I took to Casa Florencia because it was a bad choice on my part. I'm not sure what to make of their trip advisor rating, but it didn't match my experience.

• Stayed December 2012
Florencia/Antigua, Owner at Casa Florencia Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
In response to the review posted on Trip Advisor, the following are important for future guests to consider.

1) It has been and will remain to be the policy of the hotel to accept payment in cash currency of either US Dollars or Guatemalan Quetzales. When reservations are made and again upon check-in, it is clearly communicated that the first night's lodging is due upon arrival and payment is required in cash. We accept neither credit cards nor traveler's or personal checks. The cost of maintaining credit card transactions would result in the hotel having to increase the room rates to cover the fees and payment delays that are associated with credit card companies. Invoices and receipts for payments are provided at the appropriate time as payment transactions are completed. If payment is made upon arrival and daily thereafter, it avoids the need to carry large sums of cash. Deposits to our bank account may be made through prior arrangement particularly for large groups or extended stays.

2) The hotel management has been working closely with the Guatemalan and International authorities regarding excessive noise, pollution and disturbances within Antigua, a World Heritage City. To date, the hotel management has been given recognition for taking a leading role in promoting regulations regarding noise from bars, clubs and parties. The situation in question resulted from a large party/concert that took place several blocks from the hotel and over 20 other places were as affected by the high volume of noise. If the authorities refuse to enforce the laws, certainly the hotel cannot be expected to control such matters any more than we can control the weather.

3) The sounds of the church bells coming from the cathedrals can be heard throughout Antigua. Our hotel is situated about 2 blocks from La Merced Cathedral, one of the historic colonial period churches in Antigua. The religious history dating from the 1500's is part of the archeological attractions of Antigua. Certainly, most tourists coming to Antigua do so to experience this rich culture. In fact, the proximity to La Merced Cathedral is highlighted on our web site with the expectation that guests will appreciate this experience.

4) The management of the hotel has neither changed nor was absent. Our policies have been consistent and we strive to provide the highest quality lodging experience within our means, both in price and service.

Casa Florencia Hotel
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Casa Florencia, our favorite, reasonably priced, friendly, scrupulously clean hotel in Antigua, has outdone itself again. They have added a lovely adjoining coffee shop, Me Late Cafe, where an included breakfast is now served daily. Me Late Cafe also offers tasty sandwiches, bakery goods and gourmet coffee all day long on most days. And, there was another lovely surprise: built-in study desks on the second floor balcony where one can study or write in view of the volcanoes. As always, Casa Florencia has firm beds, flat screen TVs, free WiFi and in-room lock boxes. It is secure and only a 10 minute walk from the central park. We are sending pictures of the coffee shop and one of the desks.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We just completed our third stay at this lovely hotel in Antigua. The rooms are always attractive, immaculate, and very comfortable, while the staff is very helpful and friendly. I recommend a second floor room as the view overlooking the volcano Agua is beautiful. They now include a full breakfast which was excellent: eggs freshly prepared for you, toast, banana bread, fruit and coffee. I highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Antigua.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple