“Beautiful hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Madeleine

Save Saved
You added Casa Madeleine to your Saves list
Casa Madeleine
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Calle del Espiritu Santo #69, Antigua 03001, Guatemala   |
Ranked #12 of 85 Antigua B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Beautiful hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Casa Madeleine in May 2012 for two nights, and then again for one night at the end of our trip. I booked online, so I was a little wary of what we get once we were there, but once we got off the bus from Guate, we were really pleasantly surprised. It's small, and feels more like you're a guest in a house, rather than a hotel; and the small courtyard inside the compound is really beautiful. Unlike other places I've stayed in Antigua, since it's outside the main drag, noise wasn't an issue at all (a concern, especially since our two trips to Antigua were on weekends). The staff is very sweet, and the breakfast (included with the room price) was great. The first two nights we stayed in the Blue Room (which we LOVED). What the room lacks in size, it definitely makes up for in decor. Other than a mosquito or two (keep the windows closed if you're bug bite prone), I had absolutely no complaints. Great water pressure, and very clean. The sauna is also nice after a long day, but unfortunately the jacuzzi was a bit cold (it takes a while to warm up). We enjoyed our first stay so much that we decided to spend one more day at Casa Madeleine after we went to Lago Atitlan, Coban, and Flores. We booked the Blue Room again, but by the time we got there, the room was full - instead, they gave us the Suite without charging extra. The Suite is beautiful! Very roomy - the only issue is the light in the bathroom; at night it's a bit dark in there. If you book ahead online, It's definitely worth it to call ahead to verify which room you have booked. The walk to the center of town is at most 15 minutes, but it's very close to the market if that's what you're looking to check out. Also a quick walk to the chicken buses out of town, if you're traveling more on the budget end like us. Casa Madeleine was definitely the splurge hotel on our trip (but a very good price for what you get), but it was well worth the money. Antigua is a really beautiful town, and Casa Madeleine was a great way to begin and end our days there. Definitely the most beautiful place we stayed at during our trip! I would love to stay there the next time I get to visit Guatemala!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Although is about 3 minutes walk from the main "Plaza", it is a great place to stay while in Antigua. The staff is very friendly and will look for just outmust confort. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

First of all, I'd like to say that the summary is that I enjoyed my stay at Casa Madeleine. For what I was looking for, it got the job done.

Pros:

1) The location was great for me. The reason is that I was attending an event at the Cesar Branas hall which was pretty much around the corner. If you're looking to explore Antigua, it's probably not an ideal location because it's on the edge of town. But it isn't a huge place so I don't think it's a big deal to walk around a little. It is true that walking back at night felt a little sketchy because it was pretty deserted and quiet without a lot of lighting -- but it isn't like I got robbed so all's well that ends well I suppose.
2) The staff is really nice. They spoke good English and they helped me do a number of things. Cupertino (the guy who lives on the property) was very helpful with giving me purified water to take with me during the day. One of the other employees helped me order food one night. The breakfast was always served quickly, in a friendly manner and it tasted good. And so on. The staff was very friendly.
3) The rooms are pretty nice. It isn't a high end spot but the beds are comfortable, the bathrooms are fine, things are clean, etc.
4) They respond to emails quickly if you have any questions beforehand.
5) They were proactive about moving me to a new room when my room developed a leak during a heavy rainstorm.

However, there were some cons as well.

1) The big con, by far, was that I booked an airport transfer from Guatemala City through the hotel and no one showed up. I booked it originally several weeks before and received a confirmation reply at that time. I was flying in on a Saturday and I wrote again on Friday to confirm that the transfer person would be there. Once again, I was told that the transfer was confirmed. I got there and no one was there. I wandered around in the crowded airport area for a solid 15-20 minutes looking for someone with my name on a sign. Then I called the hotel (at an expense of $1.99/minute) and they told me they would call me back after looking into it. When I talked to them again, they said that they didn't have a record of my request and that I should get a cab. After I got to the hotel, I complained about this and I never heard anything about it from the hotel staff again (despite being told they would explain to me how it happened). Overall I don't think this issue was handled well at all. It's unacceptable to offer an airport transfer service and confirm it twice (including the day before) and then not have someone be there because they forgot. If the driver had a mechanical issue or something, I would have understood that things happen.
2) There were major issues with the internet in the rooms. They have two routers -- one by the front desk and one upstairs. The front desk one doesn't reach the upstairs. For the first five days or so, only the front desk one was working. Then they had someone come out and fix the upstairs one. But even once it was fixed, it had issues. It would lock up regularly and I would have to go out of my room to power cycle it and get it working again. When the internet was working, it was pretty quick. But it had a lot of problems when I was there and I talked to the staff about it every day (because I work online, it's important) and it still took most of my stay to get it somewhat fixed.
3) The only other issue that I had was that the hotel was kind of noisy. I started off in the Blue room which wasn't noisy at all. It doesn't share a common wall with a room so I didn't have an issue for the first few days. Then, one day I came home to a note saying that my room had developed a leak during the day (there were heavy rains) and that it needed repairs so I should move to a new room (the Green room). I didn't mind as the new room was a bit bigger and it was still dry. But the problem with the Green room is that I could hear everything from the next room. If they were talking, I could hear the whole conversation. Their TV sounded like it was in my room. Luckily they were on a reasonable schedule so it wasn't a big deal. But if they were up at all hours, it would have made my sleeping miserable. This seems like it might be a bit of a gamble -- I would go with the Blue room to mitigate this potential issue.

Overall, I liked this place. The staff was nice, the rooms got the job done, the place was pretty nice, the breakfast was plentiful and good (great fruit/bacon/eggs!), location was good for me, etc. While the transfer set the trip off on a bad note, the hotel worked its way up from a 2 star to a 4 star during my stay there. If they fix the transfer scheduling and get solid internet, I think the thin walls between some rooms (maybe it's just thin next to the Green room, I'm not sure) are really not a big deal.

Room Tip: See my comments about noise in the rooms and how the Blue room is a better option.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I had just come from a busy week long cruise to the Sapodilla Keys in Belize and wanted to rest up before heading back to Canada. The ambience at Casa Madeleine was very relaxing, the service was attentive without being obtrusive, and the very comfortable bed was heaven after a week on a hard ship's bunk. The breakfasts on the terrace were well prepared and tasty and the spa provided an excellent massage for a very reasonable price. I considered the slight separation from the activity of the city a plus, and the peace and quiet a definite improvement from other hotels in Antigua.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Casa Madeleine is a place with lots of character and charm, but there were a couple of things that kept it from getting a full 5 star rating. Overall, I thought that the staff at Casa Madeleine did a great job of making us feel welcome and were a good source of information. I appreciated having a range of choices for breakfast and tried the desayuno tipico one morning and their waffles the next (both very good). And while a little smaller than what I expcted, the grounds of the hotel were absolutely beautiful.

The big issue with Casa Madeleine is how far a walk it is to the city center about 15 minutes to Parque Central. During the day, it's actually not an issue because there are lots of people walking about, and it all felt very safe. After dark, the street, though well-lit, felt abandoned. Add to it needing to ring the bell and waiting for a member of staff to open the gate, it all felt a little weird at night. That said, I wouldn't hesitate recommending Casa Madeleine withe the caveat of taking a taxi back to the hotel after dark.

Pros:
-Very friendly and attentive staff
-Comfortable bed and beautiful decor
-Consistent hot water in the bathrooms :)
-Gardens were a lovely setting to have a delicious breakfast (included)
-Nice views of Volcan Agua from the second floor balcony/terrace

Cons:
-Far from the center of Antigua along a well-lit, but seemingly abandoned street at night
-Lamps and light bulbs in the room were not always functioning
-Thin walls - I could hear a man snoring from the room next door

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Didn't really have any idea where to stay in Antigua, and my instinct was to go with one of the more expensive options (it was still only about $80 USD/night)

The casa is very clean and beautifully kept, with tons of flowers and adequate places to relax. The rooms were also kept extremely clean.

My friend and I came down for a wedding. I had booked 4 nights with 2 beds, but upon arrival, I was told that there was a mix up and that we'd have to spent the last night in a room with only one bed. We told them this was unacceptable, and within a couple hours they had shuffled things around and said that we'd still have to change rooms, but it would be to one with 2 beds. It was a bit annoying, but was pleased they could accommodate. Had they not, it would have knocked down my rating by at least one star. They even moved all of our stuff for us (some may have found that annoying, I was okay with it)

The staff was very friendly and they were able to arrange the excursions we wanted to take. They even helped us call for a ride from Antigua back to the airport in Guatemala City.

We ate breakfast there our last morning, and found out that breakfast was included every morning, although this wasn't terribly clear, and we didn't take advantage of breakfast the first three mornings. I wish the fact that breakfast was included had been more evident (although it's advertised as a bed and breakfast, so we can take some responsibility for that)

The location is pretty good, although not quite in the center of town. The binder in the hotel room said that if it's after 10pm, call a cab to bring you back to the hotel, as the last few blocks on the walk to the Casa are pretty quiet, which could mean there's a possibility of danger. However my friend and I had no problems walking back to the hotel at any time of night. We're men in our 20's who are fairly well-traveled and savvy about our surroundings, so that helped, but if you're nervous about that kind of thing, then it's probably a safe bet to heed their advice and take a cab.

Antigua is a beautiful, clean and friendly town. Everyone should experience it's beauty, and you certainly won't go wrong staying at Casa Madeleine.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Casa Madeleine is an intimate, secure, beautifully kept B&B. Located on Calle del Espiritu Santo it is within walking distance to the Plaza, wonderful restaurants, and the local market area. If you're not up to walking and enjoying the sites of Antigua, there are tuk tuks available to take you anywhere you want to go. My husband and our two traveling companions fell in love with the restored home and it became a bit of a security blanket during our month-long auto trip through Guatemala. Your breakfast is included and is ordered off the menu. Everything was luscious; we even asked for (and received) recipes for the salsa and the potato pancake tortilla. The dining room, living room and outside courtyard are beautifully adorned with a view of the volcano, beautiful flowers and candles that are lit every evening. The young woman manager rates a 5 for her wonderful personality and attentiveness. We would recommend this lodging to anyone without hesitation. There is a wonderful spa, which I took advantage of, and a tiled hot tub that we all took advantage of.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Madeleine? Share your experiences!