“Superb meal with impeccable service...” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Bonners Ferry, Idaho, United States
“Superb meal with impeccable service...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I was alone in a town I didn't know for the afternoon of my birthday, and a friend suggested I take myself to this restaurant for a special meal. What a divine experience it turned out to be. I was lucky enough to meet the chef before I ordered, so I asked him to order my food. After asking me some really good questions he sent the following....a delightful salad with just enough Gorgonzola to make it bite me in the taste buds, an indescribably delicious confit of roast suckling pig that came with a thrice-baked sweet potato, and to top it off, a decadent and totally cloud-like chocolate souffle. The Cabernet Sauvignon he ordered was perfect. Considering the excellent quality of the food and the perfect (not pretentious or hovering, but totally attentive and appropriate) service, the price was not bad. I am a true fan of Nils and 39 Azul. I hope more people find and enjoy it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

80% Recommend
Berkeley, California
“Home of a real chef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Of all the many restaurants we have eaten at in Antigua, 39 Azul is the only one with a real chef. By that, I mean a person whose ability to cook is an art form. Be aware, however, that such quality is pricey.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lake Atitlan
“Danish delights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The chef of this new restaurant has been at the helm of several restaurants in Antigua over the years. After leaving Antigua to head up the kitchen of a luxury cruise ship, Nils is back in Antigua with a fresh new restaurant. The decor is decidedly BLUE, as the name 39 Azul attest. The interior is tastefully filled with the owners personal art collection and odd nick-nacks.
The menu is all Scandanavian heavy on fish and seafood. I visited for lunch and sampled four of the open faced sandwiches that are offered for lunch. Each was good, and unique in their own way.
I will certainly return to sample

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere