“not much to see” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 34 attractions in Antigua
Type: Religious Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The original church, constructed in 1543 was damaged in an earthquake and was rebuilt in the 17th century.
Givat Olga
43 attraction reviews
“not much to see”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Very simple inside, nothing special. The crowd near is much more interesting, especially if you are lucky to see the procession

Visited September 2013

San Mateo, California
“a little bit of everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

the fact that it is actually built within the ruins of an ancient church and you can spend hours there (I did) looking at the ruins, having a coffee in a beautiful garden with cages of lovebirds around, a delicious chocolate store, sitting on old steps listening to the chanting of a Latin, Mass, 2 excellent art galleries, artifacts displayed next to modern glass interpretations, friendly staff, the old crypts, and the huttle ride up to the coffee plantation

Visited August 2013
Patzcuaro, Michoacan
15 attraction reviews
“The main cathedral???”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I couldn't find any evidence that this is the main cathedral, but I'm assuming it is. I mistakenly told someone it was a beautiful facade. When I actually went in, there is a small, sideways working church, which given the enormity of the facing was a bit disappointing. But if you go around the corner on the right, there is an entrance to the very interesting ruins of the original church that once graced the site. This must have been a spectacular church at one time. Now it is very photographic ruins, and at 8 quetzales, well worth the price.

Visited August 2013
“Beautiful view at night!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Been to Antigua twice with the company of my fiance.. The last time I was there I remember we walked thru the park during the night and we stopped to look at the beautiful view the cathedral has at night... Its funny cuz I secretly made a wish as we viewed it together haha and little did I know it would work..my wish actually came true and its continueing to stay true..so you guys should try it too! :)

Visited February 2013
New York, NY
20 attraction reviews
“Haunting Daunting Ruins!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The ruins behind the cathedral are immense, beautiful and haunting and at least in the middle of July, I was almost the only person there, so you have them all to yourself. One of my favorite attractions in Antigua.

Visited July 2013