“Great Luxury Suite #8” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 89 Antigua B&B and Inns
Lake Atitlan
“Great Luxury Suite #8”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

We reserved the nicest and largest room the hotel has to offer. We were primarily looking for a luxury suite with a jacuzzi and a swimming pool. The room was all we expected, large and nicely furnished. The king sized bed was first class and had nice linens.
The jacuzzi was broken, and I suspect had been broken for some time; and it is my guess they have no intention of repairing it. Perhaps a future guest can update us.
The swimming pool was not properly maintained; half empty and needed new paint on the bottom.
It cost an additional $5 to buy fire for the fire place. Not too big a deal, although we thought it could have been offered to us without charge since we were expecting the jacuzzi to be available.
The breakfast (included in the price) was better than most offerings.

Room Tip: I understand the rooms on the street are more noisy, as I would expect in Antigua. Be sure to ask f...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

I am from NYC & have family that lives in Guatemala, so have been going there for years. Let me say this about Antigua/Guatemala in general: it is gorgeous, you will enjoy your time there, but it is not a place known for it's cuisine, high level of service, or lighting design (rooms & bathrooms are never well lit). However wherever you go, service is always given with a smile as the people are lovely & good-willed.

On to this particular hotel...
The hotel is a beautiful old colonial property, the grounds quite extensive as you walk towards the back which has some outdoor event space. The pool is big, but like most hotels in this price point, not really for swimming/laying around. It had a lot of leaves in it (which seemed inevitable considering that it's surrounded by trees) & they should probably drain & repaint it to make it look fresher.

The rooms: nice/efficient/comfortable. My sister stayed in Room 8 (MASSIVE w/ an incredible view) & we were in Rm 3 (also big, but on the corner so noisy if you wanted to sleep). Some rooms required walking up some stairs that did not have railings so you should probably request one on the ground floor if you have concerns about that. All the boutique hotels have a similar set up where the rooms surround an interior court yard, so you'll hear your neighbors when they're in the common space but it wasn't too bad here.

Breakfast was included, which was nice as it included coffee/juice, a fruite platter, eggs, refried beans, toast and plantains. I liked the fruit but thought the rest was okay, others liked it more - totally subjective, I think if you go earlier it's tastier. The bathrooms are dated in most of the rooms but they cleaned them daily so I knew they were sanitary albeit old looking.

The internet only worked close to the front desk (I think this is b/c the walls are so thick in Antigua architecture) & the staff need to dial for you to make calls outside of the building (domestic & international).

I made my reservation 3 months ahead of time & there was an issue with it prior to my arrival but the manager eventually fixed it. You will probably want to re-confirm yours before you go...

However, the best part of our stay was the GREAT front desk clerk Luis. He was helpful, accommodating, and very kind indulging to our (many) requests & questions. He is great & deserves a raise! haha! But really, his good attitude & demeanor made us like the hotel a lot more.

Overall, a nice hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
yacht traveling south
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel that had been recommended by a friend. It exceeded our expectations. The setting is a beautifully restored colonial home with exquisite gardens and a pool. Our room #3 was huge with high ceilings and a comfortable sitting area. The grounds and common areas are exceptional in this lovely estate. The breakfast which was included was very good and served in an elegant dining area. The staff member were friendly and helpful. A discount is given for a stay of 3 days or more. We highly recommend this beautiful place. Older reviews are not complimentary regarding the service. There must have been a staff change as the service was exvellent.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

I made reservations in this hotel 3 1/2 weeks before new years. Today, I received a call in which the hotel informed me that my reservation was canceled (after having provided my CC) because the manager said that IMPORTANT FRIENDS OF HIS were going to stay at the hotel and he needed the room.

As sign of gesture they offered me to stay at a lesser hotel for a cheaper price. A hotel which I am NOT interested in staying.

This would have never happened in any descent establishment.

Travelers; be weary, if you make your reservation they might be canceled at their discretion days before your arrival.

This is a glimpse into the way they run this establishment. I am grateful I will not be staying there. Very unprofessional.

The kicker was, they got mad at me when I said that this was extremely rude and unprofessional. They acted as if it was normal practice.

There are tons of beautiful hotels. DO NOT STAY HERE.

Stayed December 2008
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

The summary of our experience is that an incredibly rude employee named Anabela refused to honor the rates we were quoted only one hour before, and refused to contact the person who we originally spoke with. She was unprofessional and clearly annoyed at having to leave her quarters and deal with us at the front door, even though we were standing there in the rain.

Here are the details of our experience: We arrived at Casa de los Suenos at around 6pm on a Monday, and inquired about rates. A friendly man quoted us US$95 and showed us the rooms. We said we would take it, but had to go get the others in our group. He assured us that would be fine. Less than one hour later, we're ringing the buzzer, and are informed that the price has gone up to $115, and that the man who showed us around is gone. After trying to clarify, shouting into the buzzer in the rain, I finally asked if we could enter the hotel. "Anabela" answered the door 10 minutes later, annoyed and rude. She blocked the door and I asked again if we could come in (we were getting soaked). She reluctantly stood aside, and insisted that since the man we spoke with was gone, we were out of luck. When I pressed her to call him, she said he didn't have a phone. I found this incredibly hard to believe, since at first she simply refused to call him, and later said he didn't have a phone. We walked out and found excellent service and accommodations elsewhere. I would never give this place my money.

• Liked — Pretty courtyard
  • Disliked — Horrible service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

We liked our stay at this hotel.
The courtyards is nice and the pool looked good too.
The thing about Antigua is that there are cobble stone streets and noisy tuktuks etc, driving through them throughout the evening/night hours. The first night we had a room on the corner, very nice and large room but noisy!! My only suggestion, get an interior room any place that you stay in Antigua. But we did like it here! The second night we switched to the room upstairs and behind the front desk, much more quiet.
The hotel is pretty deserted after hours so just make sure you are back at a reasonable hour since you cannot get in touch with anyone at odd hours.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Guatemala city
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

Coming from Guatemala, it weights heavily to give a poor review to what I have been told, was one of the best hotels in Antigua. For $100 a night, a bit more, one expects great service....on the second day of our stay, we didn't sleep in the night before as we were coming from a huge wedding in town and stayed at the after party house. The guy at reception didn't allow us to drive the car to the parking lot inside the hotel saying that it was almost noon and time to vacate the property. We had to argue with him in order to get a shower and time to pack our belongings! I have stayed in most of the five stars hotels in Antigua and in none got such service upon departure. On top of that, the hotel was almost empty.
The laziness or whatever got into this guy was not nice at all. He could've been much better and provide for at least a half an hour or so for our departure.
I have been told that the hotel had better times, is such a pity with such a nice property. I suggest, stay somewhere else next time you want to stay in Antigua, there's much to enjoy.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Front desk service when checking out
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to La Casa de los Suenos? Share your experiences!