“Comfortable, but a little dated and noisy” 4 of 5 stars

Soleil La Antigua
9 calle Poniente | Carretera a Ciudad Vieja, Antigua, Guatemala   |
Ranked #39 of 76 hotels in Antigua
Wyoming
“Comfortable, but a little dated and noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

We used a gifted time share for our weeklong stay here. We had a one-bedroom suite which was spacious, but the fixtures were a little dated. The bathroom had some cracked caulking, but the room was clean. Walls were really thin, something we discovered when we could hear our neighbor on the phone one night. In addition, two of the nights we stayed there they had a function going on in the hotel's ballroom until about midnight, featuring music so loud it could be heard inside our room.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and well maintained, staff was helpful. We ate only one meal in the restaurant, which was fine. Location is near the market and a short walk to the city center. Overall, fine if you're exchanging a timeshare week but I'm sure there's more updated accomodations that could be found in this price range in Antigua

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

152 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

We stayed at Soleil Villa Antigua from Nov. 28 through Dec. 6.

Despite what has been posted, the hotel is not "all-inclusive", which was fine with us since we like to eat at different local restaurants. They have a very nice restaurant and the few times we ate there the food was good. They have a buffet one or two times a week and on Sunday mornings have a buffet breakfast/brunch including music. This buffet is free to hotel guests, but there is a reasonable charge for timeshare guests.

The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Amenities include two large pools, a restaurant, a snack bar (open on weekends), a small exercise room with separate hot tubs and saunas for men and women, and an on-site travel agency where you can book tours. Our apartment (arranged through a timeshare exchange) was spacious and attractive, and on the first floor. There was a safe in the room with a notice to contact the desk if you wanted a key. The key was delivered promptly and there was no charge for using the safe (unless you lose the key.) The hotel is probably a mile or more from the main plaza which was farther than we wanted to walk, but the hotel has free shuttle service several times a day. The security is very good as the grounds are surrounded by a wall, and the only entry to the grounds is through a gate with hotel staff on duty. One reviewer mentioned that the cabinets were locked, which was rather unusual, However, when I contacted the desk about this, they sent someone at once to unlock the cabinets. They charge $5 US for 5 gallons of bottled water, a very reasonable price. The resort did not have scheduled activities,

What we found most impressive was the wondeful response from hotel management when I became ill and had to be admitted to the local hospital - a rather scary situation since I don't speak Spanish and the doctors and nurses did not speak English. The hotel management, especially Orlando, was wonderful. He took me to the hospital and stayed for over an hour to interpret for us. I was in the hospital four days, and Orlando visited the hospital at least two times each day to see if he could do anything to help us. Without Orlando as our "interpretor" we would have known nothing about what was going on. He also arranged transportation for my husband to the hospital in the morning and for the return trip in the evening. One evening my husband was unable to find a phone to call the hotel to pick him up, and had to walk more than a mile back to the hotel in the dark, Orlando gave him a cell phone to use so he could call the hotel for transportation. We overstayed the time we had booked and Orlando made arrangements for my husband to stay the extra day in the same suite for a reasonable charge, And when I was released from the hospital, hotel management arranged for a shuttle to take us back to Guatemala City so we could make our flight home the next day.

Although we didn't have much time to enjoy the amenities of the hotel, that was not the hotel's fault. I would certainly recommend Soleil Villa Antigua.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

I stayed in Soleil La Antigua on a missions trip in Guatemala. The organization I went with wanted a safe environment that would keep 500 teenagers busy, and this was certainly the perfect place. Staying at this hotel for over a week, my friends and I were never bored. The hotel is located just down the street from the market (a very fun experience) and inspiring ruins. The hotel is safe in that it is guarded by walls and security at all times, only letting residents in. In the grounds, a beautiful outdoor pool and playground were fun to hang out at, and the layout of the hotel was incredably and uniquely magnificent. I found it especially beautiful when it rains. The openings in certain areas in the roof allow rain to fall on fountains and plant set ups around the hotel. The rooms were lovely, each with their own fireplace and never-ending hot showers. The staff was very helpful. Even though none of us could speak Spanish, and hardly any of the staff could speak English, they did their absolute best to satisify our every need. Of course, it got a little confusing at times, but being in their country, it's not like we have a right to get mad at them for not speaking English. Despite us being a ton of teenagers, they also never got frustrated with us, surprisingly. They were always very kind and super helpful! I wish staff would be this helpful in American hotels!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

My friend and I were here using a gifted time share. The rooms in the suite were huge! There was a sitting area, 6 person dining room table as well as chairs at the bar. 2 bedrooms - one with a king bed, on with 2 doubles and 2 bathrooms in addition to cable TV. We needed to get housekeeping to unlock the cabinets so we could use the plates and our safe didn't have a key (it was lost?). They offered 5 gallons of water for $5 - which was perfect (since it's a good idea to use "agua pura" for everything). We went to the supermarket and got cereal, milk and eggs so we could have a cheap and easy breakfast - so it was convenient to have the full kitchen. There was also always hot water for both the shower and sink.
The internet was 10Q for a half hour, which was significantly more than the cost in town at the internet cafes, and the speed didn't warrant the cost increase. We needed to make a collect call and were having difficulties at the payphone. When we used the hotel phone, they charged us $3/minute (even though it was collect). The food wasn't worth the price either - but I guess the upside is that it's available. They also have 2 ATMs, which is nice.
It's about a 5-10 min walk to town, which we did every day, but I'd imagine some people might be nervous about doing if they aren't used to it (the sidewalks weren't meant for walking side by side). The food in town was cheaper and of better quality. The cost by taxi from the GUA airport to the hotel was $30.
The staff was quite helpful and kept good spirits with us... even when we gave them a hard time about nickling and diming us. They were friendly and accomodating (just didn't budge on price of anything).
We asked and they said the cost of our room would be some $375-400. Personally, I wouldn't pay that for what we got or the location. But, we weren't using the hotel as a destination, more just a place to sleep and keep our stuff. There is a tennis court, pool, statue garden and coffee place with games (as well as the restaurant).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
lisbon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

My computer was stloen at this hotel. I had asked the reception to keep and when I returned to pick it up, someone from the hotel had stloen it. The hotel did not take responsibility for this and I am still waiting to hear if their insurance will cover my loss. It was a terrible experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I stayed at the Soleil La Antigua because it was the end of my trip to Guatemala and I knew it was during the Indepence Day celebrations with lots of noise and fire crackers, so I thought this would be more quiet and relaxing than staying near the park, which it was. I think the rooms must have been refurbished since some of the reviews. Yes, the furniture was old but everything else was fine. Service was wonderful. I even received several phone calls while I was there asking if everything was ok and if I needed something. Breakfast was included, usually a buffet since it was a week-end/holiday and I found lots to enjoy. The pool was wonderful--there are actully two-a lap pool and family pool. I usually walked into Antigua--a 20 minute walk and took a tuk-tuk or taxi home if it was dark. I especially enjoyed the restaurant, Fusion. Great food.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

The rooms and grounds and the rest of the hotel are very elaborate and beautiful. The only problem for me was the menu. Never quite sure what I was eating, and sometimes it actually didn't taste all that great. Overall, a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
HotelesSoleil, Revenue Manager at Soleil La Antigua, responded to this review, August 31, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to send your review, for us this is a great opportunity to know what our guest experienced at Soleil La Antigua.
Thank you for your comments on your wonderful place to stay at our hotel. We deeply apologize for the menu, we are working to explain every detail on the menu. We hope to see you in the near future to make your stay an unforgettable.

Been to Soleil La Antigua? Share your experiences!