“beautiful place, lovely service, perfect spot” 5 of 5 stars

Posada del Angel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   4a. Avenida Sur #24A, Antigua, Guatemala   |
Ranked #6 of 76 hotels in Antigua
Virginia
“beautiful place, lovely service, perfect spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed at Posada del Angel four nights during a recent trip to Antigua. The rooms were totally charming; beautifully detailed and furnished as well as comfortable. Our rooms had corner fireplaces, lovely walk in showers, comfortable sitting chairs and plenty of space. the breakfasts were delightful and public spaces in this boutique property are a true plus. Both the downstairs, open air (but roofed) living room and the upstairs rooftop garden are delightful; great spots for a drink and to read and relax. We found the location to be great, just close enough to walk into town but far enough away to be tranquil. The service was outstanding; Sr. Anibel was always able to help with suggestions and advice. We hope to return again soon!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

I spent a week in Antigua trying to dust off my Spanish, and the best part was discovering La Posada del Angel. In fact, I had arranged to stay only a few nights and then switch over to a family home stay to expand my Spanish language practice/learning opportunities, but couldn't tear myself away from this lovely, warm home-like boutique hotel.

It was getting cold while I was there in the fall so they lit fires in the common areas, and in my sleeping room, each night and had a fire in the dining room each morning when breakfast was served. The interior design, across the entire hotel, is perfect, representing the best of the area but also evoking a gorgeous, global vibe.

Since I was on my own, I largely spent my evenings in working on my Spanish which gave me plenty of time to enjoy all of the common areas as if they were my own living rooms. The pool in the middle is beautiful to look at, and whether it is mid-day or midnight, this place sparkles with warmth and beauty. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Montville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

The 7 room Posada del Angel is a few blocks from the central park, the center of activity in Antigua, but that insures quiet. And Anibal, the manager, makes sure that everything is always to your satisfaction. Great breakfast (but no other meals), with several excellent restaurants close by.. Perfectly lovely!!!

Room Tip: Bill Clinton's suite is lovely - but all rooms are nice. Very individualistic
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

The Posada del Angel is a piece of paradise in Antigua! The hotel itself is lovely . . . perfectly appointed common areas that are inviting and charming. The living room is stocked with interesting books and always had a fire welcoming you home. The dining room is small, but the chefs make incredible, made to order, personal breakfasts each day. Beautiful by day, the hotel truly comes alive at night with many candles and beautiful lanterns. Our guest room was fantastic . . . modern fixtures and essentials, but charming decorations that made the hotel truly unique.

The hotel is not large, but is done very well and has a nice boutique feel. We were most impressed at the cleanliness of the entire property. So often rustic hotels are just that . . . The Posada del Angel has all the charms of an old-world property but is well maintained and updated.

We travel all over the world for work and fun and the staff here is absolutely first class! They were very responsive, quick, efficient and always cordial. They went out of their way to help make our stay enjoyable . . . helping us with errands, picking up perscriptions and recommending wonderful areas in Antigua.

This is a wonderful vacation spot! It's quaint, charming and lovely!

Room Tip: The Rose Suite is divine . . . alone on the second floor it offers guests a quieter room, its own pr...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Posada del Angel is a magical and majestic place that you will NEVER want to leave and come back to each and every year. From start to finish, we received the most excellent service from the ENTIRE hotel staff, enjoyed two of the best rooms that the hotel has to offer, and ended each day with a glass of wine on the rooftop terrace, which had the most magnificent views of Volcan de Acatenango, Fuego, and Agua and you just might be able to watch Fuego erupt, if your lucky! Anibal and Paolo are just wonderful, and I hope that they will still be there when we come back and we will be coming back! They can provide you with a recommendation for anything and everything that you are thinking or wanting to do, know all about the restaurants--like which ones are good, which ones are touristy, which ones are favored by the locals, etc.--and will make you reservations for any activities or restaurants that you would like to go to.

We stayed at Posada del Angel for three days and three nights. The first day and night at Posada del Angel, we stayed in the Mary Sue Suite, which is by far the BEST suite in the entire hotel, even better than the Rose Suite! My boyfriend and I fell in love with the Mary Sue Suite at first sight; from the door to the room, the sitting area, the book shelves, the four poster bed, the little outdoor patio, and the bathroom, which is one of the most beautiful bathrooms that I have ever seen! The furnishings in the suite are beautiful and make you feel that you are at home. Another plus to this suite is that the room is located at the back of the hotel and is very peaceful, tranquil, and quiet. This suite was ready for us as soon as we arrived, but we actually spent our first hour up on the roof top deck. Another beautiful and special thing the hotel does for all guests, even if you are the only guest in the entire hotel, is that they line the halls and staircases with candles. It was so beautiful and romantic and it made me feel like I was in a movie or something! I loved coming home to the Posada every night!

After a night in the Mary Sue Suite, we were looking so forward to staying in the Rose Suite, which is on the rooftop terrace of the hotel, has its own private sitting area and table to eat breakfast at, and has a huge bathroom. As nice as the Rose Suite was and is, we realized shortly after settling into the room that we preferred the Mary Sue Suite more. The Rose suite looks out over Antigua and the surrounding mountains and volcanos. The views will blow you away and will never be forgotten!!! I could not believe the beauty of this place, and we were there during the rainy season! Luckily for us, it did not rain that much. The Rose Suite is very simple and pretty, nothing like the Mary Sue Suite. It is a good suite because it is at the back of the hotel on the rooftop and is separated by a gate from the rest of the rooftop terrace. The only main draw to the Rose Suite was that Bill Clinton stayed in this suite, it is the only suite on the rooftop, and it has a HUGE jacuzzi tub.

We ate every breakfast at the hotel, and it was delicious and we were given fresh fruit and french pressed coffee each morning. It was so nice to eat outside and enjoy the views. I also made friends with a little kitten that I have named Smokey that would visit us each morning, afternoon, and evening. He was the cutest kitten and I do NOT like cats. Unless it is raining, ask for breakfast to be served on the rooftop terrace, but Posada's dining room is very pretty.

My boyfriend and I travel all over the world and only stay in boutique hotels, but Posada del Angel is by far the number one boutique hotel that we have stayed in! You will not be disappointed if you stay here, granted I cannot speak for what it is like there during peak touring season, which I am sure is just as great, but a little bit more busier. On the other hand, if you go during the rainy season, which is actually not very rainy at all, then you will have the best time and best service. !00 star service and hotel.

Thank you to all the staff at Posada del Angel for making our vacation to Antigua so magical and memorable. We hope to see ya'll soon!!!!!!

C & M

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

We have been staying at the Posada for 2 nights: nice setting, lousy beds, ie. old matresses (single ones in the yellow room, the worst beds we had in our whole 3-week trip in Mexico and Guatemala), upon our complaint , the manager looked downcast, but that was it...no suggestion as to another room, nada. And make sure that you have plenty of time for breakfast, the waiter takes his time, even though there were only 2 couples in the dining room. All in all: Price too high for that is offered, like so often in Latinamerica.
Marianne (Switzerland)

Room Tip: NOT the Yellow room
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I didn't want to leave -- after 89 countries, that's saying something! The ambience and attentive (but not overly attentive) service set Posada del Angel apart from the rest. It's the little things that mean so much: the luxurious bed linens and mattress, the candlelit atmosphere, and the attention to detail: an email for a dinner reservation replied to within minutes, the breakfast staff remembering that I'm allergic to pineapple - the next morning, there was no pineapple but double the bananas! - the knowledgeable and passionate concierge/manager (Anibal). You could certainly find cheaper accommodation in La Antigua, but - as they say - you get what you pay for. If you're looking for a romantic, hassle and worry-free get-away, look no further than Posada del Angel...

Room Tip: I chose the Blue Room - while closest to the street and reception, I never noticed any noise...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Posada del Angel? Share your experiences!