“It doesn't get better than this.” 5 of 5 stars

Casa Santo Domingo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3a Calle Oriente No 28 A, Antigua, Guatemala   |
Ranked #9 of 76 hotels in Antigua
Georgia
“It doesn't get better than this.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Cannot say enough good things about this hotel - beautiful room, STUNNING grounds, hospitable staff. This was one of the best hotel experiences of my life!

The candles, the macaws by the beautiful heated pool, the landscaping, the historic structure of the building, the on-site museum - the combination makes for a perfect hotel experience.

I've read some reviews which note the tour groups which come to the hotel. The tour groups come for a reason - this is the premier property in the city and all of Guatemala. During my stay, the tour groups were never near the guestrooms, the pool, or any private guest areas. I noted a few groups coming in for brief periods during my stay but I never felt crowded. Actually, I found it impressive that non-guests made a point to visit the hotel and I had the full experience of staying here.

I will remember Casa Santo Domingo for many years.

• Stayed January 2013

583 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Turkish first
New Rochelle, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel at the begining of December 2012, and all we have to say is We'll do it all over again soon!!! This hotel is abosoluitely worth it to spend that extra $25 a night instead of staying at any other hotel that may be cheaper but won't have that history, courteous staff and magnificent grounds that make you go ahhh, every time you take a stroll around them.
We most definitely recomend it to anyone who goes to such magestic city to definitely stay at one of a kind place.
The food is absolutely outstanding, the chef really shows his culinary talents on every dish he prepares.
And if you don't want to be on a schedule when visitng Antigua and stay at this magnificent hotel, just make yourself a cup of the most delicious Guatemalan coffee, which is there for you to make whenever you are in the mood for it, and take a seat at your own bistro table, on your own balcony and just kick back and relax.
At night, if you are in Antigua in the cooler months, like December or January, and you are in the mood for just having a room service dinner and enjoying the fire place, just place a call to the front desk and they will have one of their staff people to lit up that fire for you and make sure it is all set for your enjoyment.
So, go visit Antigua Guatemala, enjoy the beauty of the country and all it has to offer, and make sure you stay at Casa Santo Domingo, you won't regret it!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room around the Spa area, they are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for four nights in January 2013. This was one of the most interesting and fascinating hotels that I stayed in my entire life. Yes, you can find a more luxurious hotel in Las Vegas or NY, but in terms of history and ambiance, this is really a gem. The hotel is a former monastery established in the 16th century. After Antigua was abandoned when the capital was moved to Guatemala City, it essentially lay in ruins until it was restored in 1989 and turned into a hotel and a museum. And what a wonderful job they did! The living quarters are immaculate – the rooms are great, with wonderful fireplaces (with a cross above it), nice baths and even Jacuzzis in some more expensive rooms. The hallways in the hotel are filled with medieval statues, frescos and the entire hotel is lit with candles and lights during the evening and part of the night. The hotel has two churches used for weddings and 3 museums. You can easily spend one full day exploring the hotel and its museums.
I would think that If you travel with somebody you love this may be one of the most romantic places to stay and spend a long weekend , so for those of you who live in Southern CA, instead of going to Las Vegas for a long weekend try to go to Antigua Guatemala. The flight is just 4.5 hours from LAX and everything is less expensive than in the US. This will really take you breath away, and this will be an unforgettable experience of your life. I traveled with a group of friends attending a wedding, and most people in our group were world travelers and yet, everybody acknowledged that this was one of the best hotels they ever stayed in.
I have read some negative comments about the hotel on this site, and I cannot really understand how anybody can have negative comments about this place. The staff is really nice, courteous and helpful. I speak fluent Spanish and I spoke Spanish with them, however, I could hear that they all speak fairly good English. They are very knowledgeable about what places to see in Antigua, they can order you a cab from a safe company, etc. The only true comment is that internet does not work very well there – you have to pay $8 per day for it, and yet, in most rooms it does not work and you have to go out to get a connection, but then again, you are in the mountains of Central America, it is a wonder that internet works at all!
Of course, what adds to an unforgettable experience is the amazing town of Antigua, with its medieval Spanish architecture, tiny streets, exquisite restaurants and nice people. Antigua can be a good base to travel around and see other amazing cites – Lake Atitlan, the volcano overlooking Guatemala City and some local Mayan ruins (albeit rather modest and small compared with Tikal located in the northern part of the country). However, the travel agency located in the hotel does offer a one day trip to Tikal. I can’t find one bad thing about this hotel and strongly recommend it to anybody traveling to Guatemala.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Santa Ana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay. I enjoyed everything from the room amenities to the environment. The staff was super nice. The museums inside the hotel are a must free of charge to all its guest. I cannot wait to book my next stay at this hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Belize
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I had a one night stay at this hotel this past December and the overall experience left much to be desired for the price we paid.

From the beginning the lack of staff or proper signaling to get from the dark parking lot to the the reception was really annoying. We parked and we literally didn't know if there was an elevator since it was an underground parking lot. We were literally looking around and walking trying to find which way to go. finally we came to what seemed to be the entrance but it turned out to be the beginning of a long tunnel adorned with some paintings and a couple offices along the way with people who completely ignored us as we stopped to ask if that was the reception or not. the whole tunnel experience was so claustrophobic that i just wanted to get out of there as fast as possible, no time to try to admire any of those paintings. They sell the hotel as a museum as well, which is why I think they charge so much, but the ambience is so dark that we couldn't even relax to admire any art work. it was very sombre.

Finally when we got to the reception area we were greeted by a nice staff member who offered us a warm towel to wipe our faces and hands, this was probably the best and only real service we got throughout our stay. Checking in was something else. We were there for a wedding and they allowed the groom, who was my brother, to check in instead of us, so to our shock, we walked into a room full of people getting dressed to attend the mass. I wish I had been informed by him that he was going to do that, but I would trust that if a reservation is made under my name, they would honor that and not allow anyone to walk in there. After all we had reserved a larger room with a King size bed and jacuzzi for US$180 and the whole "wow" effect that I was hoping to get when walking into the room was gone when meeting so many people and bags and clothes all over the floor. Oh, I forgot to mention the fact that as any family member got to the reception to request a key, it was given to them willy-nilly and my husband and I were almost caught naked in bed if I hadn't bolted the door!!!!!!!

We had time to examine the room before the reception and to our disbelief, we found out that what should have been a jacuzzi was actually just one big cold tub, no jets, no bubbles, just one hard tub that could sit two persons. Let me remind you, This room was advertised as having a jacuzzi and a wonderful king size bed which made the difference in price by a whole US$40. They had warned me that this room didn't have windows since it was a tower room, but I accepted hoping that I would be awed by the details of being in a tower room. It did have a little sofa and coffee table but still, not what I had imagined.

The signaling around the hotel was very poor, and trying to find staff to help me out was a headache. It really was a headache. OHHHHHH and you would think for this price, you could get free wifi, but NOT, I was told I needed to pay US$15 for internet access ALL DAY LONG! as if US$15 was really chum change for internet, or as if I was literally going to be on the computer all day long. I only wanted to check my mail since I was waiting for a mail.

The night was something else. It was cold in the room and we could not find how to turn the AC off, it seemed as if it had central AC units and we could not control it. WE had to sleep really tight and I still felt cold even turning on a chimney which turned out real quickly.

Oh the room had a mini bar, stacked with beers, some rum and some chocolates. Now I knew that whatever you take from the mini bar has a charge, but I never imagined that the bottled water that is placed in the restroom also had a separate price. Had I known we had to pay a whole US$4 per bottle for that water, I would have just bought water at an outside store.

It was a disappointment to pay so much money for this hotel, we pretty much payed to stay in a museum which we could really not enjoy because the lighting overall was very depressing and not welcoming at all. You would think that $180 US dollars could get you a really really nice room and service in Guatemala but it didn't. I understand that we were in Antigua and it has the UNESCO stamp on it, but this hotel is not worth that money. not the service, not the amenities and what else can I say. It was a greater disappointment to find out that almost next door to this hotel there was another one which had free wifi access and really nice room for less than half the price, and the guy at the front desk was so nice to let us use the internet for free.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless, like I said before, you want to sleep in a colonial museum with very depressing lightning and a feel of being locked up in a cell.

I'm sure there are a lot more hotels in Antigua for way less than this one with many more amenities for "free" although it shouldn't be called free since it should and must be part of the service you are paying for.

J and J.W

Room Tip: I think that we would have had a better service if we had been americans not latinos. really not wh...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
IrisGomez, Gerente at Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
We are sorry to learn that you didn't enjoy your stay at our Hotel. As you know, the reservation was made by the groom who also checked and assigned it. The confirmation slip we forwarded doesn't say that this room had neither a jacuzzi nor air conditioning - we don't understand where the misunderstanding could have been. We enjoy taking good care of our customers and would of provided solutions if you had let us know.
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had a two nite stay here January 2013. The grounds and the museum facility are very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room photos on this site are quite representative. The facility is very pleasant and has good views inside and outside. The restaurant is quite good both the buffet breakfast and the menu items. The unique nature of the facility makes this hotel an exceedingly appealing facility to stay in Antigua. We'd definitely return if in Antigua again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Casa Santa Domindo, you should be ashamed of yourselves! I literally was in tears looking at their macaws. They are stressed out and the birds have been pulling their feathers out because they are going crazy! It is such a disgrace that Casa Santa Domingo would keep these birds on show for tourists and everyone in oblivious to their torture! Please do the humane thing and give these birds to a sanctuary so they can live the rest of their lives more naturally. Copan, Honduras has a great Macaw sanctuary and they would be happy to care for these beautiful birds, since you obviously can't!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IrisGomez, Gerente at Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you for your concern for our macaws. We appreciate your comment and share your opinion. We are doing everything possible to provide a stress free environment for these birds and are currently developing a breeding project in large aviaries in an isolated, more natural environment.

Our macaws are very well fed (dosed, balanced diet) and have constant professional veterinary attention. Some of our macaws are very old and have difficulty regenerating over-preened feathers. We are looking forward to transfer them to new facilities where they will surely get better.

We are also pleased to inform you that we are currently supporting an ex-situ conservation program at the Wildlife Department - Veterinary Faculty of the Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala and, in a near future, we will support the only in-situ conservation program in the city directed by the Wildlife Conservation Society at “Estación Guacamayas, Parque Nacional Laguna del Tigre, Petén.” There are only about 320 free living macaws in Guatemala and we definitely consider this species a priority.

In a near future, we will gladly share some of our achievements with you.

Been to Casa Santo Domingo? Share your experiences!