“Over priced” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 76 Hotels in Antigua
Belize
“Over priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I had a one night stay at this hotel this past December and the overall experience left much to be desired for the price we paid.

From the beginning the lack of staff or proper signaling to get from the dark parking lot to the the reception was really annoying. We parked and we literally didn't know if there was an elevator since it was an underground parking lot. We were literally looking around and walking trying to find which way to go. finally we came to what seemed to be the entrance but it turned out to be the beginning of a long tunnel adorned with some paintings and a couple offices along the way with people who completely ignored us as we stopped to ask if that was the reception or not. the whole tunnel experience was so claustrophobic that i just wanted to get out of there as fast as possible, no time to try to admire any of those paintings. They sell the hotel as a museum as well, which is why I think they charge so much, but the ambience is so dark that we couldn't even relax to admire any art work. it was very sombre.

Finally when we got to the reception area we were greeted by a nice staff member who offered us a warm towel to wipe our faces and hands, this was probably the best and only real service we got throughout our stay. Checking in was something else. We were there for a wedding and they allowed the groom, who was my brother, to check in instead of us, so to our shock, we walked into a room full of people getting dressed to attend the mass. I wish I had been informed by him that he was going to do that, but I would trust that if a reservation is made under my name, they would honor that and not allow anyone to walk in there. After all we had reserved a larger room with a King size bed and jacuzzi for US$180 and the whole "wow" effect that I was hoping to get when walking into the room was gone when meeting so many people and bags and clothes all over the floor. Oh, I forgot to mention the fact that as any family member got to the reception to request a key, it was given to them willy-nilly and my husband and I were almost caught naked in bed if I hadn't bolted the door!!!!!!!

We had time to examine the room before the reception and to our disbelief, we found out that what should have been a jacuzzi was actually just one big cold tub, no jets, no bubbles, just one hard tub that could sit two persons. Let me remind you, This room was advertised as having a jacuzzi and a wonderful king size bed which made the difference in price by a whole US$40. They had warned me that this room didn't have windows since it was a tower room, but I accepted hoping that I would be awed by the details of being in a tower room. It did have a little sofa and coffee table but still, not what I had imagined.

The signaling around the hotel was very poor, and trying to find staff to help me out was a headache. It really was a headache. OHHHHHH and you would think for this price, you could get free wifi, but NOT, I was told I needed to pay US$15 for internet access ALL DAY LONG! as if US$15 was really chum change for internet, or as if I was literally going to be on the computer all day long. I only wanted to check my mail since I was waiting for a mail.

The night was something else. It was cold in the room and we could not find how to turn the AC off, it seemed as if it had central AC units and we could not control it. WE had to sleep really tight and I still felt cold even turning on a chimney which turned out real quickly.

Oh the room had a mini bar, stacked with beers, some rum and some chocolates. Now I knew that whatever you take from the mini bar has a charge, but I never imagined that the bottled water that is placed in the restroom also had a separate price. Had I known we had to pay a whole US$4 per bottle for that water, I would have just bought water at an outside store.

It was a disappointment to pay so much money for this hotel, we pretty much payed to stay in a museum which we could really not enjoy because the lighting overall was very depressing and not welcoming at all. You would think that $180 US dollars could get you a really really nice room and service in Guatemala but it didn't. I understand that we were in Antigua and it has the UNESCO stamp on it, but this hotel is not worth that money. not the service, not the amenities and what else can I say. It was a greater disappointment to find out that almost next door to this hotel there was another one which had free wifi access and really nice room for less than half the price, and the guy at the front desk was so nice to let us use the internet for free.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless, like I said before, you want to sleep in a colonial museum with very depressing lightning and a feel of being locked up in a cell.

I'm sure there are a lot more hotels in Antigua for way less than this one with many more amenities for "free" although it shouldn't be called free since it should and must be part of the service you are paying for.

J and J.W

Room Tip: I think that we would have had a better service if we had been americans not latinos. really not wh...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
IrisGomez, Gerente at Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
We are sorry to learn that you didn't enjoy your stay at our Hotel. As you know, the reservation was made by the groom who also checked and assigned it. The confirmation slip we forwarded doesn't say that this room had neither a jacuzzi nor air conditioning - we don't understand where the misunderstanding could have been. We enjoy taking good care of our customers and would of provided solutions if you had let us know.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Turkish first
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had a two nite stay here January 2013. The grounds and the museum facility are very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room photos on this site are quite representative. The facility is very pleasant and has good views inside and outside. The restaurant is quite good both the buffet breakfast and the menu items. The unique nature of the facility makes this hotel an exceedingly appealing facility to stay in Antigua. We'd definitely return if in Antigua again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Casa Santa Domindo, you should be ashamed of yourselves! I literally was in tears looking at their macaws. They are stressed out and the birds have been pulling their feathers out because they are going crazy! It is such a disgrace that Casa Santa Domingo would keep these birds on show for tourists and everyone in oblivious to their torture! Please do the humane thing and give these birds to a sanctuary so they can live the rest of their lives more naturally. Copan, Honduras has a great Macaw sanctuary and they would be happy to care for these beautiful birds, since you obviously can't!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IrisGomez, Gerente at Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you for your concern for our macaws. We appreciate your comment and share your opinion. We are doing everything possible to provide a stress free environment for these birds and are currently developing a breeding project in large aviaries in an isolated, more natural environment.

Our macaws are very well fed (dosed, balanced diet) and have constant professional veterinary attention. Some of our macaws are very old and have difficulty regenerating over-preened feathers. We are looking forward to transfer them to new facilities where they will surely get better.

We are also pleased to inform you that we are currently supporting an ex-situ conservation program at the Wildlife Department - Veterinary Faculty of the Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala and, in a near future, we will support the only in-situ conservation program in the city directed by the Wildlife Conservation Society at “Estación Guacamayas, Parque Nacional Laguna del Tigre, Petén.” There are only about 320 free living macaws in Guatemala and we definitely consider this species a priority.

In a near future, we will gladly share some of our achievements with you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Only stayed one night but it was a very nice stay. Highlight was a traditional dinner in the restarant. The grounds are very well maintained and add a nice ambiance with candlelight all over the hotel at night. It was quite expensive to stay, eat and drink here. There are some very nice places in town that are worth walking to. Internet $10 in your room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

we got a deal through expedia and hence selected this place. It's a 16th century monastery that has been restored/renovated and done really well. the premises are a fantastic museum and offer lot of things to see and walk around... museums, statues, crypts etc and the level of access available is also impressive
The rooms are really nice, they have a TV, very good mattresses and a seriously good shower.
The reason for the 3 (not 5) * - 3 fold - the internet is $8/day, with the daily rates being charged they should be including the internet... and secondly the front desk staff is quite useless, they are courteous and all but useless when you ask them questions about Antigua, things to do around Antigua etc. and finally the food (no free breakfast, we did order some room service though) - horrible and expensive.
The gym and the pool are really nice

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Great accommodations and an incredible hotel, filled with history and art work. Great location in a wonderful destination. Antigua is a great destination by itself with many attractions and day trips that can be taken.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel certainly is unusual in many respects. The ruins are worth the stay. Ambiance is a big appeal. Very pretty grounds. The foliage is beautiful. The room is average but nice. The only thing that was bad was the smell at night; sewage. There was also some difficulty with billing on room & services. Still not sure was charged correct. Get ready for a big tourist charge at c/o. Overall a very unique place. Also I might add, the rooms are very dimly lit.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Casa Santo Domingo? Share your experiences!