“Beautiful Hotel in a beautiful city” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8a Calle Poniente No 1, Antigua 03001, Guatemala   |
Ranked #12 of 76 Hotels in Antigua
GreenLeadersSilver level
Highland
“Beautiful Hotel in a beautiful city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

I was fortunate enough to stay at the Antigua Hotel Porta recently. Every moment of my stay was wonderful! The rooms are spacious and clean. The daily breakfast is much more than I expected. Room service was prompt and reasonably priced. The grounds are manicured.. t\The staff is very easy to work with, even with complicated travel plans. The hotel is within walking distance of the entire city. Just blocks from the plaza and Cathedral. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
cleveland, ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

because of the high rating given porta antigua we booked our stay there. while it is in a great location and has beautiful grounds, i'm not sure i'd stay there again.

the hotel was to have made reservations for us to be picked up at the airport but no one was there when we arrived. we found a shuttle and when we arrived at the hotel were told they thought we were coming in the night before, even though the reservation stated our arrival date as that night.

the first night we stayed in a stuffy room without an air conditioner or ceiling fan and the room was right across from where the tables for the breakfast buffet is served so, we didn't open our windows, since they faced a busy portico. the staff did bring us a fan.

the next day we were moved to a room with an air conditioner and ceiling fan in an area of the hotel across the street from the main hotel. this was much nicer, more private, facing a beautiful inner courtyard and much quieter. i strongly recommend anyone who will stay at porto antigua, to request a room in the 400 series, across the street.

on weekends the hotel sells tickets to people who aren't staying at the hotel, to use the pool and to eat at the hotel buffet. while this is a great marketing tool, it brings in many people and by the time we got down to the pool, there wasn't a chair to be had and the pool was filled with kids.

if you have children, this is a great place to stay but if you're looking for a quiet weekend stay, this is not the place.

if you do stay there, ask for a room that doesn't back up against one of the busy streets of antigua and that has a ceiling fan and air conditioner. preferably.

the grounds are indeed lovely, the staff was very accomodating, location is ideal, breakfast buffet adequate and all in all the hotel was a solid 3 star. just be picky about where your room is.

washington dc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

Good – pleasant rooms and environment, it really captures the essence of the colonial past, friendly staff and good location near the main sights of Antigua.

Bad – you have to pay for wifi, only 1 small bottle of water provided per stay (not per night), breakfast not included in rate, no coffee making facilities in room.

Whilst I really liked the hotel and the general ambience I wouldn’t stay here again because for less than what you pay here you can get a similar standard hotel that includes wifi, breakfast and bottled water in the room rate.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

I booked this hotel for $120 per night via expedia.com - I consider this a fair rate for that sort of establishment, however compared to the fairly cheap accomodations (of incomparably worse quality of course) in Antigua, some might consider this a bit expensive.
I flew into Guatemala City and had arranged for a shuttle to pick me up from the airport. Elizabeth Bell at antiguatours seemed to have enough reputation to make me wanna pay $45 per one way transfer. Subsequently there were more people that wanted to take the same shuttle, so Elizabeth was nice enough to refund as much as $30 of the original $45 I paid.
The total travel time to Antigua is about 1 hour, we drove during day time and it looked completely safe to me. When I got to the hotel, I got checked in fairly fast, the front desk attendants (or at least one of them) spoke great English so I had no issues there.
The room I was given was on the ground level (see pictures) so a bit dark, but overall it was much better than expected.
The grounds of the hotel, its inner yard, are absolutely beautiful - it is as green as it gets and perfectly well maintained.
The hotel was full, as it was Valentine's weekend, but it didn't feel overly crowded. A fair number of people were at the pool at day time, some with children, some - not, but nothing too crazy.
The location is also not bad - about a 5 min walk from Parque Central (3-4 blocks). It did not feel unsafe at all.
The tours booked through the hotel are pretty expensive (one 1 day tour in the vicinity of $100 or more) as they are considered 'private'. Instead I went to one of the tour agencies right accross from Citibank in the tourist office at Parque Central and signed up for a Pacaya tour for about 13$ per person (shared ride in a small shuttle). The tours usually run either at 6am or 2pm in the afternoon - better to take the early morning tour due to better visibility of the volcano.
The Pacaya tour itself was interesting, at least it was new to me, as I have not seen flowing lava before; the climb was described as 'easy', but if you are not physically trained and don't excersie at least 2-3 times a week, it could be quite tiring. I resorted to the help of a mule, which carried me half way up to the top for $13 (or 100 quetzales).
The lava at the Pacaya was not really flowing as they show it on pictures, more like trickling as it was already hardening, but if you haven't experienced that, you should try to go.
The next day I did a private tour (in a car on my own with two guides) using the following route - Antigua - Chichicastenango - Panajachel (@lake Atitlan) - Antigua, roughly taking between 1.5-2.5hr travel time for each leg. Pretty much the only way to see it all in one day, since most companies do not offer a tour that can combine both lake Atitlan and Chichi in one day. My private tour costed me about $90. As a side note, the car that I rode in broke down around Panajachel so I had to go back to Antigua in a shuttle. My guides were nice enought to get me one...
Chichicastenango market was a great experience - very colorful, very real, very unpretentious and not completely ruined by the tourists. The locals are there to buy and sell their goods, and most of these goods are not tourist oriented. Which was great. Also a bounty of photographic opportunities, however to avoid unpleasant situations I always asked before I could take pictures. And I was always allowed to (... at the right price - a dollar or so).
Panajachel was a small touristy town with some great places to eat. It is not as unique as Antigua, but still has a vibrance of its own. Try the Urugayan grill - they have some good food there. Lake Atitlan is beautiful, but nothing overly special - I did not do the boat tour as I am not expecting to see anything entirely different than what I saw everywhere I went in Guatemala.
On the way back to the airport I took the hotel shuttle (the last one leaves at 11am) for $20 one way. You can get a much cheaper shuttle at the tourists offices in Antigua (5-6$ per person leaving on different hours of the day) but I did not have time to look for one.
My only gripe with this hotel is that I left two postcards to be mailed and I paid $1 per card for this service. The cards were never mailed I guess, since noone got them.
Oh, and internet costs 1$ per hour ... you need to call front desk for a pass code, they in turn ask you how long you will need it for... I said 3 hours but it stayed on for all days I was there and I was still only charged 3$.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

Just to say this Porta Antigua it is a very relaxing hotel with a nice atmosphere. Hotel environment can also be either for couples and families with children. Food is nice (menu is complete). Just wanted to say the breakfast buffet should be more variated. Pool is gorgeous. This is located only 2.5 blocks away Central Park wich as name says is the heart of life in Antigua. Highly recommened if your budget can afford your planned trip season rates. Staff is very kind.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

I would never stay anywhere but Porta Hotel Antigua when I go there again. Absolutely the best hotel in Antigua, superior staff & hotel manager. They have a pool that kids & adults love. They have Mayan weavers demonstrating their craft and offer great deals on their weavings. The best restaurant in the country is at this hotel. I couldn't believe the good deal the marketing director for Porta Hotels gave us on this hotel and also for Porta Hotel in Panachel (Lake Attitlan

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

My two girl friends and I stayed here over the New Year's holiday and felt like we were in the lap of luxury. The hotel is beautifully kept, and our room was spacious and up to date. The grounds include not one but two pools, one of which my friend was able to swim laps in while visiting. The restaurant was nice and the food was pretty good, but service is slow (as is the norm in Antigua) and the buffets are over priced (I recommend ordering off the menu-just as good). Overall, we loved this hotel and would highly recommend it to others, traveling either as a family or as a group of friends.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Porta Hotel Antigua? Share your experiences!