“Great” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 76 Hotels in Antigua
West Vancouver, Canada
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Great two day stay at the Porta Hotel in Antgua as part of our tour. We were in the new section which has been done to look like an old section in what is a very large property. Room was spacious and clean, albeit a bit dark. Beautiful pool area and gardens. Food was good. Location of hotel was excellent, a few blocks to the main square to see the New Year's day processions and 30 or so minutes up to the cross for a view looking overlooking the city with Aqua volcano as the backdrop.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Kinnelon, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The location was great, a few blocks from the central park. I stayed here as part of a Caravan tour and was pleased with the hotel. The room was fine, no problems. The grounds were pleasant with various courtyards, a nice refuge after a day of walking around the bustling city. The pool area was relaxing and not crowded. Our rooms were in an auxiliary building, a block away from the main building where the restaurant and pool were located but there was an underground tunnel you could use to go between the buildings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Cabos Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This was my first time in Antigua and I wanted to try something really typical, I think I chose the perfect option: Porta Antigua.

This hotel combines the magic of a traditional building with the service and comfort of a world class hotel.

The building is just spectacular, one floor in "hacienda" style. The hotel is divided in several buildings and it makes you feel like you are in a little Antigua by itself. The gardens and pool areas are amazing.

My room was on the 500's building, it was spacious, keeping the typical architecture but with very comfortable beds, perfect bathroom with bath and shower. The room features TV with international channels, safe box and free internet. Due to the architecture and the interior gardens you will sleep like an angel!

The restaurant offers a spectacular buffet with typical Guatemalan food, you will be delighted with the plantains, tamales and pupusas.

Service overall is perfect, warm, efficient and at the same time relaxed.

The Spa is a jewel, only 5 cabins, however, the treatments are state of the art, spectacular!! Try the hot stones one, you will not be disappointed!

Overall, this is a fantastic hotel, located in the heart of the action, steps away from all major attractions and restaurants. You will enjoy a 5 star stay at a very affordable rate.

Room Tip: The 500's have their own pool and gardens
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Saint Augustine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I recently returned from a 3 night stay at the Porta Hotel Antigua with a group of 20 people. We were all quite pleased with our stay - the rooms are lovely, with fireplaces and balconies. Everything was very clean. The breakfast buffet is great, with a variety of fresh fruits, cereals, Guatemalan dishes and an egg/omelet station. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant one night, and everyone was pleased with their meals (I had the lemon chicken, which was tasty). They were one of the few restaurants with a children's menu, which was a nice change for our kids. The playground is awesome, and the kids loved looking at the birds. I had a massage in the spa, and the therapist (Gladys) used hot oils instead of lotion - AMAZING!! It was a very relaxing massage. My only complaint would be that the WiFi is spotty. I could not get a signal in my room, only on the balcony. But my sister, who was in the room next door, could get a signal inside. But that's only a minor complaint. Overall - I'd recommend this hotel, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This time I did not stay at Porta Hotel, but came to spend the afternoon at the restaurant with my 8 year old nephew. The food is very good, the coffee is great, the location is gorgeous and family friendly, which is not always easy to find in Antigua. Great kids menu's, and a playground. Also free wifi is very nice to have, which combined with the endless pot of great coffee, is a great place to catch up on emails. The floor manager at the Restaurant, Aurelio, has to be one of the most friendly people I have ever met (I would like to adopt him as a Grandpa!). He makes you feel like family and like you are "coming home" each time you are here. Porta Hotel and Aurelio, thank you for making us feel at home!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Fernando X, Manager at Porta Hotel Antigua, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Mexicoguatemala,

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel! It thrills me to hear of your positive experience. Customer service is something that we truly strive for and in making each guest truly feels welcome and at home, whether they are staying with us or just visiting our restaurant.

Thank you for your comments about Aurelio, he really is the heart of Porta Hotel Antigua; we all want to take him home!! Please know that I have shared your feedback with our entire staff, as comments such as yours are what drive us to deliver each and every day.
Please feel free to contact me when you are in the area. We would be delighted to have you stay with us again.

Kind Regards,
Fernando Ximénez, General Manager
fximenez@portahotels.com
Antigua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Staying at "Porta" is quite unique and cozy. Once you get past the condition of the roads (compact stone roads) which makes for a bumpy ride and uncomfortable walking, the hotel is very much worth the trip. The typical cuisine served is superb (dessert is "ok" as well), the staff is very helpful, the rooms are a bit rustic but it adds to the ambiance of the "ole timey feel" of the hotel, most of the channels are in Spanish but several are in English, some equipment such as irons and remotes may not work at times but are readily and easily replaced by staff, wifi is open but in certain areas the signal is not as strong because of the winds, the grounds are well kept and the pool is very nice (would recommend checking the weather before planning a trip to Guatemala because very cold months are obviously not the best time to go swimming).

Side Note: For individuals who like glass windows in their rooms, some rooms do not have them installed but they are instead made of wood so its best to ask about these types of preferences prior to staying.

Side Side Note: The walls in my room were are a bit thin for my liking allowing me to hear the guest next to my room taking showers but i'm not sure there is much that can be done to address the issue at the moment. Other than the 5'O clock wake up by my neighbor, my stay was amazing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Tushie101,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us; especially glad to know that our team provided the service that you expected. However, I would like to offer my apologies for the inconsistencies you experienced during your visit. Although our basic WiFi capabilities are complimentary in all public areas, we are committed to always meet our guest expectations. As is to provide a nice sleep quality.

We truly value your overall feedback, and we will look forward to welcoming you back, to properly serve you.
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The Porta Hotel is very beautiful with lush gardens, a nice pool with a nicely equipped playground if you have kids. There are several Macaws on site which are very pretty and fun if you have kids. We had a fireplace in our room, and the room had a comfortable bed and nice, clean bathroom. We utilized the Celiba Spa and had a wonderful experience. We had an exfoliation, the mud wrap, and a couples massage for our anniversary, and the therapists were wonderful. I would recommend taking advantage of the spa.

We had a decent buffet breakfast in the morning with typical Guatemalan dishes along with an egg station before we left for our next hotel. Our only complaint was the the 300 rooms are along the main street which makes it sound like a train is going through your room when the cars go by on the pretty cobblestone streets. So don't take a 300 room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Lauran24,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Porta Hotel Antigua Hotel on TripAdvisor. We truly value your feedback, for it enables us to continuously strive for improvement in the quality of our products and services.
I regret, however, to learn the inconveniences you experienced throughout your visit, especially with the noise from the street. We truly value your loyalty and will look forward to welcoming you and your significant other back in the very near future. Please feel free to contact me and I will accommodate you in a very quiet and noiseless room.

Once more Happy Anniversary!

Fernando Ximénez, General Manager
fximenez@portahotels.com

Been to Porta Hotel Antigua? Share your experiences!