“not what we had expected” 2 of 5 stars

Holistico Hostal
7 Avenida Sur Numero 10, Antigua, Guatemala   |
Ranked #16 of 71 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“not what we had expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Our first impression of holistico was good, the courtyard is cosy and would be a perfect place to relax. the communal tv and dvds are also a nice addition for a relaxing night in. however, our room was unfortunately not up to standard. a hole in the wall that was stuffed with a dirty rag and taped into place revealed a host of large dead bedbugs, right above the head of our bed. we moved to a dorm that night which was a lot cleaner. generally the hostel was ok, the toilets are unisex, quite dark and cramped, but the showers were hot! also, holistico is not as cheap as other really nice places in Antigua. we would advise a search for bed bugs before accepting the room.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
holisticoantigua, Owner at Holistico Hostal, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review my hostel and thankyou for choosing us, im sorry your experience whith us was not what you expected but i want to take this opportunity to state my opinion about some of the points you mentioned.
you where charge $20 for 2 personas in a private room, this is a GREAT PRICE for a good hostel in Antigua, you can find something cheaper than this but definatly not for this quality.
in addition to that we have a reputation for cleanlesness, we have never had one single guest complaning about bed bugs as we have never that problem.
I thing it is irresponsable to state our hostel has bed bugs in a public forum when you simply dont had a good time here.
in conclusion, thankyou for your comment i urge anyone who reads this review to disrigard it and read the 25 +positive reviews our hostel has.
sincerily. CESAR.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

An experience like non other, the lounge area has a great view, I was able to sit there with my laptop and didn't even realize I was working! The atmosphere is surreal!

Clean and comfortable. The owner makes you feel like family :)

WILL DEFINITELY RETURN!

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Holistico is a quite new hostal in Antigua, and a great place to stay. Its located right next to nightlife and restaurants, but in a quiet zone. The owner is extremely friendly, and the ecclectic design is fun and cozy. I especially liked the small roof terrace and the free wifi. Considering the price, the hostal is also very good value for money.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

It was a great experience for me. I loved the friendly and charming staff , i am going to go back again!

Cordoba, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

This was a good place to come to as a solo traveler, because it was so easy to meet people. It is the perfect place, if you want to get a little away from the Lonely Planet crowd and meet a greater variety of people. The place has a nice and relaxed atmosphere.

Room Tip: Ask Cesar.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Cuenca, Ecuador
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

I have been traveling alone and looking for a hostel with a good mix of atmosphere to meet people and clean/safe place. This place has good rooms - singles and shared, great terrace with a view of the volcanoes, and a hot manager. One of the best hostels in Antigua. I can't say enough good things about it!

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

Let me start with a disclosure: I am friends with the proprietor of this hostel, and would consider the staff here friends as well. Now a caveat to my disclosure: I count these people among my friends because they have spent the past 7 weeks giving me a home in Antigua.

Holistico is less a hostel than it is an experience, which is what attracted me to the place even though I am not typically a hostel-goer. Located just 1/2 block west of La Iglesia de la Merced on 1a Calle, Holistico features 3 dorms (6 beds each) and 3 private rooms with a double bed. I've called Habitacion 1 my home for these past 7 weeks, and the room is perfectly situated apart in a corner of the hostel with a window onto the street.

Faviola's delicious breakfast is included in the price of your room or bunk, as is free, strong wifi, which is important for me as I run a couple of businesses back in the States that require regular web meetings. Also included is us of a flat screen TV with a large movie library, a book exchange, a patio with hammocks, and a roof terrace featuring views over Antigua to all three volcanoes; the perfect place to begin or end your evening with Q15 beers or wine available from the small bar.

Cesar is the quintessential host. In these several weeks I've seen him bend over backwards to make travelers from all over the world feel welcome not only to his hostel, but to his native home of Antigua. A true Panza Verde, Cesar knows the goings-on of Antigua, and is an invaluable resource for first-time visitors.

Holistico is just over a year old, and still evolving. The space is beautiful and comfortable, and the rooms exceptionally clean. My score of 4 for cleanliness is only because I find the common bathroom a bit cramped and dark and the men's shower room could use a little lovin'. Don't get me wrong, the bathroom and showers are kept very clean. Addressing these (minor) issues are just a few of the many plans that Cesar has for the space. Having peeked in to the women's shower room (when no women were in it, thank you), it is quite nice, and in 7 weeks here at Holistico, I have NEVER been without hot water.

My score of 4 for sleep quality relates primarily to the location of my room. 1a Calle is very busy, and tends to be noisy early in the morning. And of course it is a hostel, so it's not like I'm sleeping on a Heavenly Mattress at the Westin. That said, my bed is comfortable, and I wouldn't give up my window to the street, with a peek-a-boo volcano view, for anything. The hostel itself is very quiet ALMOST all the time. In 7 weeks I think I've only been woken up by a rowdy late-night crew twice, usually a group of friends from the Capitol who've been out to enjoy Antigua's amazing weekend nightlife.

In all, I cannot give Holistico a stronger recommendation. It is a lovely place made so by its people, and enhanced by it's atmosphere and location. I plan to return to Antigua again and again, and would be lucky to call Holistico my home whenever I am here in this beautiful city.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms so you can pick your fav!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Holistico Hostal? Share your experiences!