“"Epic Experience - Go with O.X.!!!"” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 34 attractions in Antigua
Type: Volcanos
Attraction Details
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
“"Epic Experience - Go with O.X.!!!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I've done this hike twice, now - BOTH times a day trip, BOTH times with O.X. (www.guatemalavolcano.com) - I wouldn't do this hike with anyone else!

The website says it's moderate hike, but I'd err more on the side of difficult. The second time was totally easier, but that may have been my state of mind, knowing I had done it once before. The American owned company was comforting to register with, since I was a little naive about who best to tour with. They took such good care of us, and their guides are super experienced and nice. They also had security to protect us as we trekked through the trails. (don't think this is required anymore but it was comforting at the time!).

We hiked through the farms (so beautiful!), then up through the lush forest, and eventually up past the clouds through scree to the top. We ate a super delicious lunch at the top, and then ran down. 5 hours up, 1 hour at the top, 2 hours down.... I absolutely LOVED this experience, and can't wait to do it again!

Pack layers, be prepared for wetness in the air that comes and goes, bring PLENTY of water, and I recommend snacks for the way up- I had a handful of granola bars. You'll be dirty at the bottom, but so stoked!

Thank you O.X. for an incredible experience- Acatenango will forever be an epic memory for me!!

Pound Ridge, New York
11 attraction reviews
“A tough hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We went with the company OX Expeditions whom I recommend. This hike is not for the faint of heart or the unfit. It is hard you go through many levels of terrain which are tough underfoot, so wear good shoes. Take layers as you will need them. Be prepared with plenty of water, snacks, layers of clothing and sun cream. Going up was about 5 hours with a ton of breaks going down was less but no less taxing and I felt it over the next couple of days. You leave at 5am and return at 5pm if you do the day trip. Half of our group did not make the climb as it was too taxing.

Visited May 2014
Munich, Germany
7 attraction reviews
“The best and toughest hike ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

The hike up to the summit was hard, but the view above the clouds paid off and was worth every effort. And Fuego rewarded with eruptions too. Highly recommended hike when in Antigua. Do the overnight trip, but be careful to ask some questions to the tour operators, like the group size, number of guides, number of tents for the group etc.

Aalborg, Denmark
“Acatenango overnight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

If you like hiking, volcanoes and sleeping in a tent at 3800m, this trip will be worth it! It is really challenging hiking all the way up, but when you wake up the next morning, see the sun rising, the view and volcano Fuego errupting it's worth all the pain!

Visited March 2014
Antigua, Guatemala
“Awesome, challenging and very cold!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I took a tour to Acatenango volcano. We left in the morning from Antigua. After travelling for about 1.5 hours we reached the base of the volcano. The climb was very hard and challenging and is definitely not recommended for the unfit! It is a roughly 5 hour climb (although with lots of breaks) at high elevation - some people complained about feeling altitude sickness.
We set up camp below the summit and climbed up to the peak. It was EXTREMELY cold, windy and foggy, and I was happy for all the layers I'd brought (including thermal underwear). We couldn't see Fuego, but we could hear it roar as it erupted.

After a cold night in a tent, we climbed up to the peak again at 4:30am, just in time to see Fuego erupt. It was a magical experience to see the glowing lava being catapulted from the volcano!! But again, it was freezing cold (literally, there was ice on the rocks), and everyone was tired. After a 3 hour hike back down the volcano it was nice to relax over a hearty lunch.