“Lo mejor en Antigua!” 5 of 5 stars

7882-4468
Improve this listing
Ranked #64 of 238 Restaurants in Antigua
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Mount Dora, Florida
“Lo mejor en Antigua!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

FANTASTIC! La Peña del Sol is the best restaurant in Antigua! The food is delicious, the lemonade is addictive, the service is outstanding, the music is mesmerizing, and Bill & Mary (owners) are amazing! I bring 20+ groups here a year and it only gets better. La Peña will be one of the highlights of your stay in Antigua, I promise!

Check out the Saturday morning cooking class.... I did and it was a treat to learn and cook typical Guatemalan food. The chefs mad the class fun AND delicious!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
lapenaantigua, Owner at La Pena de Sol Latino, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thanks, Hoopmeister, for the great review! And for bringing such great people to our restaurant! We always enjoy having you! See you soon!

Antigua, Guatemala
“Best meal I have had in Antigua yet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is a great restaurant, pet friendly, cozy, friendly and great food! Owners are very hospitable. The music is typically wonderful for Antigua. We will be back!

Kirksville, Missouri
“Take the cooking class!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Two Saturdays per month they host a cooking class, from a trip to the mercado for ingredients, through the kitchen to cook it all, to the dining room to enjoy the meal together. The owners are delightful and interesting people who know how to host. The three folks in my group spoke sufficient Spanish to understand, but they can translate everything if necessary. It was really great to see the techniques and array of seasonings that went in to some of the foods I had eaten earlier in the week--eye opening for sure! Well worth the price, and a nice way to connect with others if you're traveling solo.

Visited July 2013
Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepequez, Guatemala
“A favorite in Antigua”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is a great place to eat and the music is the best. I have taken group here many times and we have never been disappointed. Friendly and helpful in every way - clean and comfortable.

Visited July 2013
Lubbock, Texas, United States
“Blow your mind cuisine and super cool environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This place should be in the top 5 in Antigua - which is saying a lot if you have ever eaten Antigua.
In my two weeks in Antigua, I have eaten at almost every top 20 rated restaurants and cafe and have been knocked over by the quality and service of almost every place I have visited -

I begin with that statement because I don't want anyone thinking that this restaurant is just decent because it tastes a bit better than the rest. What I want every viewer to know is this: Among some of the finest restaurants (food quality and customer service), this one jumps up, makes your tongue into a happy trampoline with taste buds hopping to a great beat.

My wife and I began with the eggplant tower, which was flavorful and beyond our expectations. We followed that up by sharing the Macademia crusted grouper blew our minds - Such a fresh fish topped with a perfectly built from scratch sauce -

Add to this the coolness of the owners, who you can tell are truly happy about providing the best of the best for a reasonable price, and the really open atmosphere being covered by live music that was the opposite of intrusive or annoying (as many live music restaurants can be) - it all equals an absolute must-go

For us, it means a must-go back again tonight...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the delicious creme brulee, stunningly good cheesecake and the brownies the owners "made" us try.

Thanks for forcing us, Mary and Bill - And Bill, you keep rocking those congoes -

Sometimes, you just feel lucky to find a spot like this - My wife and I are foodies and we have eaten the supposed best cuisine every culture has to offer - Anyone who calls this food "okay," "typical," "decent," or even just "good," must have either chewed on the napkins for their entrees or are review enemies who are jealous of this places' excellence -

I want to mention that I have also been impressed with "H Bistro" and "Por que? No" to give you an idea as to what my palate enjoys - This place should be right next to them in the top 5 - Something is rigged if they are not there quite soon -

By the way, I've never written such a long review - Freaking that excellent!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
lapenaantigua, Owner at La Pena de Sol Latino, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Wow! I am still smiling after reading your review! You call yourself "Loudsmith" but I think "wordsmith" is more accurate. You made me want to eat at our restaurant and I do so everyday! Thank you for the great review. We enjoyed meeting you two and sharing some of our yummy dishes with you!